Author Topic: Changing from demand to routine feeding  (Read 1431 times)

Offline nikkinoo69

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:58:12 am »
My DD is 12 weeks old and for the first 10 weeks I breastfeed. We had our ups and downs (who doesn't!) particularly with oversupply. Anyway, I decided to make the jump to bottle feeding to try and make me and my DD happier and more settled. Hey ho, I've realised that her demand feeds are all over the place and when she doesn't feed alot, her sleeps vary as well!

I've been hum-ing and haia-ng about it all and finally decided that I want to get her onto routine feeding. I'm aware that her stomach is probably a bit small at the moment, as she's not used to taking large feeds, so obviously want to make it as comfortable as possible for her during this transition. Just want to check if anyone else has done this? I'm thinking 4oz at the most every 3 hours - she was 12lb last week.

Any thoughts on this change would be really appreciated.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Changing from demand to routine feeding
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 17:57:02 pm »
You can start with 4oz and if she is draining those you can add more to the bottles.

How has today gone?

Laura

Offline nikkinoo69

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 09:03:46 am »
Up and down, her sleeps are all over the place. I kept to 4oz but sometimes she sometimes didn't take that much. I'm so confused to be honest about whether to go onto a full routine or not, finding it all very challenging at the moment.

Offline nikkinoo69

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 09:08:38 am »
The thing is... if she takes more or less in a feed, aren't I back to snack feeding?

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 21:14:29 pm »
Hi hun :)

She will be snack feeding if you feed more often (like every 1-2 hrs)... then she will take a small feed and not last a 3 hr span until the next feed time.

I demand fed my DD until about 4 months of age (when I stumbled across BW!) and moving to routine feeding was the best thing we ever did!  Good feeds, happier baby, far better sleep!

I would offer 4 ozs every 3 hrs at a minimum for now.. if she is taking less and gets hungry at say, 2.5 hrs, go ahead and feed her... just try to get her closer to 3 hrs over the next week or so.. then start pushing her a bit more... most FF babies will be at 4 hrly feeds around the 4 month mark :)

If she drains her bottles, increase an ounce for each one ;)