Author Topic: Just - why? So frustrated!  (Read 40067 times)

Offline shivi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
Re: Just - why? So frustrated!
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2012, 19:10:41 pm »
ach Anna, feeling for you so much.

As you know (I think, again foggy over here) I DF my two EbF babies well further than 6mths - in fact I kept up the DF till 10/10.5 mths when they were taking HUGE amounts of solids at each feed....
I really don't think an EBF baby can go 12 hrs at night consistently - never heard of a single one. Particularly when you factor in distraction, older sibs who unintentionally come in in the middle of feeds etc.

I would say reasonale at Audrey's age and weight (she's 98th centile allround, right? length, weight, head circ etc) is to feed at 8pm and then push to do one NF - no more no less. Question is, when.....
In a way, if the 5am feed to sleep works, then maybe let her have her 8/9hrs without earlier and then feed at that early hours time..pushing her out till then, and then this NF could/should gradually peter out as she takes in more teatime solids...

The thing is, the thing I noticed with mine - was that the 7pm/8pm feed was so hit and miss at the 6-10mth mark - sometimes it was due to OTness, trying to do bedtimes alone etc....esp in Emma's case, she would hardly feed and be so zonked that I kept the DF up simply to get a good feed into her before I went to sleep. I only let it go when I knew she had had a hearty teatime meal like the rest of us and there was no way she'd be hungry.....

Some babies are such angels (I had one too, once upon a time ;-) that the hunger is won over by the tiredness and they cry a little and then fall back asleep and sleep a decent length before they'll moan again. I had a really good baby in Emma in this regard - and she was also a chubby 98 centiler once she hit 5ish mths so had some reserves to rely on if necessary.

In a way I would recommend not a W2S but a feed before she claims she is hungry/in pain/upset. A kind of DF but where she can rouse a little.....so before her 4 hr mark - if she goes for it - breaking her waking cycle but still feeding her, getting the cals into her, so you know at 1am that she CAN'T be hungry.
Easier said than done I know - I had two very different DFeeders....one who woke and went back to sleep no issue after (E -DF off the breast till 10.5 mths and then again at 16-18mths till I weaned myself LOL) and one who never budged an eyelid and DF from the bottle till 10mths - Oz).

Hugs and love,
You must be exhausted....

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2012, 20:02:03 pm »
If I do two feeds at night she's not hungry at breakfast.
Which two feeds are you talking about, like a 12:30 am and then 5 am?  I guess you need to decide what it is you really want to do, either keep pushing her through the 12:30/1 waking and feeding her at 4-5ish or feed at the 12:30 waking and then not again til morning.  Writing it out that way does make it sound more appealing to push through, so you don't start getting EWs, I guess.  I think, though, that just because she's done it once, doesn't necessarily mean she can always go 11 hrs at night, yk?  Has she done her 6 mo growth spurt yet?

Until two days ago she never slept til 1am, she would always have a feed at say 10pm and then again at 2am, and then still not be hungry in the morning. Think she's had the GS a couple of weeks ago but I couldn't swear to it. I didn't really notice her 16 week one...

I just needs clear 'rules' for her and for me.
Yes, I get that, I'm a rules girl too.  What do you want to do, Anna?  You know her best.  I definitely wouldn't feed her at 10, unless you want to do a DF, which you don't. 
I don't know. I don't really see what else I can do other than keep pushing through - it's either that or go back to feeding when she wakes up. When she wakes up I've no way of knowing if it's hunger or not, so I have to either feed or her not feed her. And if I feed her there's every possibility that she'll wake up 2-3 hrs later.

I feel like its just clearer and more consistent to say no feeds rather than 'sometimes'.
I get this too.  That's while I've always waited until I'm sure they can make it through, as it's not always clear.  So, I'm very cautious, because once I did this with C, she dropped on the curve for a good while and while a lot of it is contributed to moving all over the place and not taking much to solids til later, I've always wondered if I should have held onto that NF for longer.  I'm not saying this to make you question yourself, because yours is a different situation.  Just wanted to let you know where I'm coming from, so maybe I'll just wait and let others chime in. :)
[/quote]
I guess I am lucky that weight gain has just never been a concern with either of mine. If they drop a centile well they will still be on the 95th. If Audrey needs more calories in 24hrs, there is plenty of scope for her to get them without having to feed overnight. For example she only ever takes one breast at a daytime feed (except at bedtime). I know she doesn't 'know' this.

Also at 5-5.30 she's not ravenous.
Is this after being fed at midnight, or after going most of the night?  If it's after going most of the night, and that's what suits you best, then I'd stick to your plan and keep pushing her through.
[/quote]
This is after her last feed being at 6pm (she goes to sleep for the night at 6.30pm). If she went back to sleep at 2 and woke up at 4 I would feed her at 4. I would feed her at 3 - although not if it was at the end of a NW (i.e. following the rule that if I'm settling her without feeding that Im going to settle her - not do a 2hr NW and then feed her at the end of it).

As you know (I think, again foggy over here) I DF my two EbF babies well further than 6mths - in fact I kept up the DF till 10/10.5 mths when they were taking HUGE amounts of solids at each feed....
I really don't think an EBF baby can go 12 hrs at night consistently - never heard of a single one. Particularly when you factor in distraction, older sibs who unintentionally come in in the middle of feeds etc.
Yah, I know Shiv, but Audrey has NEVER consistently had a DF. She usually wakes up - can be as early as 9pm - so then I would have an hour or more of resettling, and then have to go up 30 mins later to DF, and lose my whole evening. Or just feed at 9pm and then have her up to feed again at 1-2am.

Quote (selected)
I would say reasonale at Audrey's age and weight (she's 98th centile allround, right? length, weight, head circ etc) is to feed at 8pm and then push to do one NF - no more no less.
Her last feed is somewhere between 6 and 6.30pm - she goes to sleep for the night somewhere between 6.30 and 7.

Quote (selected)
In a way I would recommend not a W2S but a feed before she claims she is hungry/in pain/upset. A kind of DF but where she can rouse a little.....so before her 4 hr mark - if she goes for it - breaking her waking cycle but still feeding her, getting the cals into her, so you know at 1am that she CAN'T be hungry.
So try again to do a DF? Even though I've never had any luck with it in the past? It's 9pm now, should I go and feed her now? The thing is, for all the long NWs we've been having, she's also sleeping longer stretches than she ever has. She's never slept from bedtime until 1am before. This seems like progress to me. If I had any good experience of only having to go up to her once or twice overnight, I might feel differently about this, but all my experience has been that a feed overnight equates to another waking 2-3hrs later when I KNOW she isn't hungry, so I end up getting up twice as often, twice as frustrated, twice as exhausted, and with a baby who has no idea, when she wakes, if she's going to be fed or not.

Offline shivi

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2012, 20:38:44 pm »
So hard to know Anna....

with a 6.30pm feed, I would do an 11pm DF -or DF of sorts...even if she wakes as you try to feed her etc.
And then cross my fingers and be strict till morning - so till 5/6am.

I really think its very hard for a EBF baby to go all night. Never have known one.

I would feed for instance, if mine were to wake before 11pm - yes - before the DF. I would even go to them at the first whimper - and feed them back to sleep - and then we were usually ok till morning. But mine were "coded" a lot earlier - I had been doing it "the hard way" since 6-8wks or so. Again though, I wasn't expecting anything near 12 hrs straight (and never got it ever with Oscar LOL) till over 10 mths. We did a four hour gap to DF always (never made it earlier or later or shortened or lengthened it - upped the ounces for Ozzie for sure but after 4=5 mths, stayed on a consistent amount thereafter) - and then "expected" and got an 8ish hour gap from early on with both of them (the gap was originally just 3 hrs, then 4 and more til it was 8hrs).

If I were you and as sleep deprived as you and so as not to confuse Audrey any more...I would set a time for a DF - do it whether it means she wakes or not - do it off the breast see if it works or with formula if you're ok with this (then you'll know how much she's taken as well) or expressed bm, and then say 8hrs no feeds. You'll have a clear plan then, at least...

Huge hugs for tonight and hoping for an 11pm feed for you, regardless. I would do a full feed at 11pm....

Sorry for the rambling....am working and BWing at the same time!

S x

Also, when you say, she COULD take more cals into her during the day - that she doesn't "know" she is only getting one boob. Again, some kids are very hard to convince that they need "tanking" when they're not interested....I had to feed my two almost semicomotose at the end of their naps to make sure they took "good feeds" - otherwise, we had short feeds to take the edge off the hunger all day (and all night....).

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2012, 20:47:59 pm »
i'm scared that she'll start waking at 9pm again. That was the whole reason why I thought OK fine screw it we'll drop the NFs. She NEVER slept right through til a DF so I end up having no evening.

So if I feed at 11 and then she wakes up at 3 I just keep on resettling until 5am or however long it takes? I'm more confused now. 8hrs no feeds means til 7am. So if she wakes at 5am we just get up and start the day?

Offline shivi

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2012, 21:00:08 pm »
I really don't know Anna.....haven't had this issue at this age.

With my guys, when I implemented the DF I fed at 11pm and then fed whenever they woke (Ozzie was at 2am and 5am and then 7am!!! when we started but soon we were down to 3am and 7am which I accepted and expected at 8weeks ish) and E was on 3am and 7am from the get go. both of them lengthened their 3am feed out by themselves....to 4,5,6am gradually. I never really had to re-settle as such....

Audrey is used to being fed at NWs - its going to be hard. But I think it will be easier to do an 8 hr stretch and more acceptable and reasonable to expect than a 12 hr one IYKWIM? And at her weight and age etc etc she should be up for a "good try" if you are....but this is the thing.....

I think in my case 5am feed or no feed always meant wake up for Oscar so I did everything to keep the calorie intake high this side of midnight to rule out hunger in the wee (4-6am hours). Turns out he was wired to have this as his witching time regardless.....

If your goal is to get a good stretch I would say aim for 8 hrs - consistent 8 hrs - and work it up from there - based on cal intake with solids increasing over time etc etc - pick YOUR 8 hrs - and try (I know its hard) to be consistent.....but it will take time as Audrey has learnt otherwise.....

more hugs }}{{

S x

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2012, 21:11:28 pm »
Always try to do feeds sleepy at the end of a nap - rarely gets her to take any more. :(

I'm aiming for an 8-9hr stretch from bedtime. so say a 6.15 feed and then the next feed should be about 3am. I'm reluctant to feed her at 1 because I know she will likely wake up again at 4am, and then she won't be hungry at 7am.

Then from there she should be able to get to 6.30-7am wake up. I think we have tried and failed enough with a DF to say that it doesn't work for us. We have tried it consistently for a long time and it has only ever resulted in her waking up in the early part of the evening say before 10pm.

Just to confirm as well, she's not used to being BF back to sleep at all NWs. I haven't BF if she has woken less than 4hrs from her last feed - so there have usually been two NFs PLUS two additional NWs per night at which she has not been fed. So a typical night perhaps NW at 9am, NF at 11 or 12, NW at 2 or 3, NF at 4, up for the day at 7.

Ah, she's awake again already. Blah. I just don't know if I should be changing things up on her again now or not.

Thanks for the support ladies. Just looking forward to the day when I am not dreading every single night.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 21:15:01 pm by anna* »

Offline shivi

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2012, 21:16:47 pm »
so go with your 8 hr plan of feeding around 3am. sounds like a good one from where I am sitting.

Wishing you soooooo much luck xxx

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2012, 21:18:31 pm »
That's the plan. What's been happening is that she wakes up at 1, doesn't settle until 2.30 or 3, then sleeps til 5 or 5.30. I hate second guessing myself like this.

Offline shivi

« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2012, 21:24:14 pm »
so she's going without a feed but with all the unsettled behaviour from 6.30pm to 5am?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2012, 21:30:22 pm »
Night 1 she woke 9.30-11, slept til 5.30, fed, then up for the day at 7.15
Night 2 she woke 12.40-1.40, slept til 5am, fed, then up for the day at 8am
Night 3 she woke 12.45-1.45, woke 2.30-4, slept til 6am, fed and up for the day (with hindsight I probably should have fed at 2.30)
Night 4 she woke 1-3am, slept til 5.30am, fed, then up for the day at 7.30am

I guess I should probably give this at least a couple more night before reassessing.

Offline shivi

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2012, 21:32:03 pm »
I would keep the 5am feed.....ish....for now.
She needs it. Its consistent. She will (hopefully) stretch it but learn that earlier there is no milk.

You're doing so well xxx

I'll be on in the morning - around 6am yours!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2012, 21:34:00 pm »
:-* Shiv

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2012, 23:36:52 pm »
It sounds like you've got a good plan, Anna. Expect 8 hrs, no feeds and go from there. (((Hugs))) and good luck! :-*

Offline shivi

« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2012, 04:24:01 am »
you haven't logged on all night.....hoping its a good sign!

S x

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2012, 06:32:36 am »
She did great. Little resettle at 11, then slept til 4.15, fed and back to sleep til 7.
;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:32:21 am by anna* »