Author Topic: Should I puree fruit and meats together for baby?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Lincolns_Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Should I puree fruit and meats together for baby?
« on: May 03, 2012, 03:19:44 am »
This may be a silly question but I thought I read somewhere that the only fruit that should be pureed with meats is apple.

My little guy will be 1 year in about a week. He eats chunky purees really well and is not fussy. I'd like to start pureeing/mashing the food that my husband and I eat for dinner...for my son...instead of always making separate foods for him.
Tonight we had slow cooker chicken breast with broccoli, onion and pineapple. (Also added soy sauce and a tiny bit of bbq sauce...but it became very diluted after cooking for a few hours). I love the combination with the pineapple and was thinking I could just puree a bowl for my son. I'm unsure about mixing the pineapple. And if I do this, can I also freeze it with the pineapple?

Any thoughts?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Should I puree fruit and meats together for baby?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 03:24:47 am »
At 1 yo I wouldn't even bother making it into a puree. I would take the foods out & dice up some of them fairly small (pea size)  & keep some of them whole (finger size) even if he doesn't have any teeth he will be able to chew them.
My DS1 was eating a lamb cutlet off the bone at 13mo  & I know my friend who did "baby led weaning" never pureed any food for her DS.

It is actually important for speech that children are chewing food & things like cooked meat is good for that.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 20:08:51 pm »
You can mix any foods together!!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 20:16:58 pm »
Yup anything goes.  One of my DD's dishes at 9 months was chicken and apricot! 

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 20:19:19 pm »
I'd just give it to him as it is!  Have a look at the BLW thread - lo's as young as 6 months are happy eating normal family meals as long as things are soft enough/the right size/no added salt  :).  My dd's favourite meal is spaghetti bolognaise - served the same for her as for the rest of us - and she shovels it down!

Your dinner sounds lovely by the way  :D
Claire x