Author Topic: BLW and constipation  (Read 1843 times)

Offline rosetoes

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
BLW and constipation
« on: May 04, 2012, 15:05:29 pm »
I'm breastfeeding my dd&its quite normal for her only have a bm every 3 days or so sometimes. We started blw about 3 weeks ago. Just started with bananas on toast, sweet potato&was giving her baby rice now and again. She pooed ok for the first few days, she probably wasn't get much at that stage but her poo had changed, black steaks in it? That's banana apparently? She then didn't go for about 3 days but was straining&crying so I gave a dose of lactulose, which gave her a nice clear out :-) . After that I stopped giving bananas as thought it might b bunging her up too much? She hasn't until today been since (a week) :-( she wasn't at all bothered until today.
Just wondering what you all give to your Los as 1st foods? She probably had sweet potato every day as she loves it.
Also had:
Bit of egg- rash over face
Yoghurt
Cheese
Butternut squash
Carrot
Parsnip
Plum (rash over face)
Strawberries
Mango
Apples and pears nibbles a bit off but usually spits it out.
Broccoli not too keen
Porridge not keen
I don't think I'm giving the right kinds off food to keep her regular? I thought sweet potato was meant to be a good first food but reading maybe its not?
I had allergies to some fruits when I was younger so am a bit anxious with lots of fruit.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: BLW and constipation
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:13:57 am »
Sw pot, rice and banana bunged Olly up at first too. It is a matter of trial and error really. It won't be forever just until their tummies get used to it.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 10:55:48 am »
I suppose it takes a while maybe for her gut to adapt to eating solids so the poo's going to look different. And maybe feel a bit different for her too.  We definitely had some interesting facial expressions as things changed there...!

We started with pear sticks which I think have a laxative effect.  And cucumber sticks and some bits of toast.  He adored roast sweet potato too and would still happily eat his weight of it. I didn't give him baby rice and I think I've heard that can cause bunging (but since I didn't try it, ask around). My LO only had what he could pick up, so perhaps that's why he wasn't bunged, as the portions would have been quite small. Does that make sense?  'Food is fun until one' so you don't need to worry about how much she's getting. 

You're doing really well on the range on things she's tried.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 10:57:41 am »
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54820.0

Maybe trying offering some more laxative foods alongside any if the trouble makers!

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 11:23:37 am »
I was told that bananas can bung you up. Pear was a good laxative for us. I was also advised not to give egg or strawberries or cabbage until 12 months for their potential allergens...anyone else told that?

I was also told that its quite normal for them not to poo for a few days...our doc wasn't worried - but if there is obvious signs of straining that different...

I have a friend that would put a little bit of prune juice in her BM in a bottle when her LO was blocked up...

hth xo

Offline rosetoes

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 18:48:31 pm »
Well she's had a prune tonight, I thought she'd dismiss it but she absolutely loved it! No waste at all. She's also been more into her pears today so hopefully she'll stay a bit more regular naturally after her medicine yesterday. Anyone had an experience with parsnips? She seems to be enjoying them, I suppose they're quite easy to eat.
I only started her with baby rice as advised by my h.v&she does enjoy it, she won't let us feed it to her though, she has to hold the spoon, we just 'guide' :)
I wasn't worried to begin with to be honest, my h.v was though&she did get really upset trying to go yesterday so think a week is too long for her.

I havnt been told to avoid anything, just to be cautious if there are allergies in the family. I know I had fruit allergies but they were relatively mild and more to citrus fruits. Think they can have pretty much everything once they get to 6 months?

Thanks all for your advice&experience