Author Topic: What would you do - rash/blood work on 9mo  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Mjaz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
What would you do - rash/blood work on 9mo
« on: May 05, 2012, 17:52:07 pm »
Hi,This is all new to me...  My 9 month old has had a rash on his back, arms, legs and tummy for nearly 4 months now - he also seems to have trouble pooping regularly.  So, we saw a GI Pedi and she's had us both off milk for 2 weeks.  I see no difference.

She wants to do blood work for allergies, but when we went to the lab, they couldn't find a vein - and it was torturous.  I couldn't go through with anymore, so here we are.

Where should I start in your opinion?  Continue with no dairy?  Do blood work?

Thank you,
Melinda

Melinda

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: What would you do - rash/blood work on 9mo
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 18:21:14 pm »
Are you just off milk, or off all dairy?  If it is the milk that is the culprit and you are still taking it in other ways (hidden in foods too) it could affect him.  Also, alot of kids with milk issues can't handle soy either. Personally I would keep up with no dairy and maybe ditch soy too to see how it is.  I don't know that bloodwork done that young will be the answer...we didn't have any until she was 18 months and it all showed negative or inconclusive anyways!!
Heidi

Offline Mjaz

• Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 19:26:09 pm »
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.  I don't want to torture him if the results aren't going to help us anyway.

Well, I'm off all dairy - more or less.  She said I could have it in small doses, so that's what I've been doing.  BUT, I am a vegetarian - so I rely on dairy and soy as the basics of my diet!  I'm not willing to stop bfeeding either.  UGHHH.  Would soy/dairy intolerances cause constipation?

I hate that my hunch is that the rash is something non-food related...and that the constipation is just that - constipation that I need to keep on top of.  I don't know.

Thanks for your help, Heidi.
Melinda

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 19:30:36 pm »
Dairy for us always meant constipation. Tough to cut out though for you! 

But, going on your hunch...what type of stuff do you use to wash clothes, for baby wash, shampoo, cleaners etc?? Anything change before the rash started?  I have lots of sensitivities to laundry soap and fabric softener myself, so we use no fabric softener and less harsh soap for washing.
Heidi