Author Topic: how do i start solids  (Read 1690 times)

Offline sammy23

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: May 06, 2012, 14:57:58 pm »
hi i am wondering how do i start solids the baby whisperer way my little girl is now 6 months and she has been getting some baby rice and baby porridge but i want to start her properly on solid. I am not sure how to fit it into her routine do i feed bottle first then two hours later feed solids this is what the health nurse recommends what routine does the baby whisperer recommend and is it in any of her books . Does anyone have any sample routines. How will i no when to decrease the amount of formula she needs. Thank you any help will be much appreciated  :)

Offline Amanda5555

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
Re: how do i start solids
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 16:07:31 pm »
Excellent questions we're not there yet but I will be interested in the answers you get to start thinking about it. When did you start baby rice? How did you go about that? How much how often etc.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 17:51:04 pm »
Hi,

I will start by pointing you in the direction of the FAQs, there is loads of advice there.

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=94.0

Plus have you had a chance to browse around the board? There is more advice there  :)

Maybe have a look around and see what you think.

RE when to feed it is normally solids one hour after milk as milk ir priority and you don't want her too full from solids to take her milk.

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 13:00:25 pm »
Agree with bunty.  My advice would be:

1. Feed solids at least one hour after a milk feed.  At this age, treat solids as "Activity" time, something for fun, as opposed to getting any significant nutrition from it.

2. Starting with cereal is still the gold standard, but lots of people skip cereal.  I thought rice cereal was so boring, I just opted for baby oatmeal right away when I started DD2 on solids at about 5.5 mo.

3. Some of the most popular purees are pear, apple, sweet potato, squash, avacado.  Some of the green veggies like peas or green beans don't get the LO's as excited, but some kids love them.  You can also mix purees together, and that is just fine.

4. If your LO does not seem interested, pushes out with his/her tongue or gags a lot, try again in a few weeks.  Or, maybe they just like purees and you can consider BLW at a later age.

Offline sammy23

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 20:32:58 pm »
Tanks for all your help :)