Author Topic: Different teat sizes at different times of the day  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Rizo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Different teat sizes at different times of the day
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:33:40 am »
Random question about teat sizes here.....

My DS2 had been taking less at each bottle than before, getting bored and laughing all the way through his bottle so we have this week changed up a teat size. He struggled the first day or two and we occasionally had to sit with 2 different teats at each feed and swap them over but has been going really well overall.

My question is, now he is coping well and enjoying the faster teat for all his bottles except his night feed and in the late afternoon/evening when he usually takes 2 cluster feeds close together. I am thinking because he is tanking up and not starving as he usually would be during the day between bottles he likes a slower flow for these cluster feeds. It seems that he likes to relax a little more on these feeds and wind down for the night.

Do you think this sounds normal? Should I be insisting that he has the larger teat for all his feeds or do you think he will one day change on his own?  :P

Sorry for the novel

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: Different teat sizes at different times of the day
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:25:10 am »
HAHA! Sorry, I BF, so not sure what the bottle feeding ladies will say but what he's doing seems to me to mimic what happens quite naturally with BF - most of us have more milk during the day and supply/flow drops a bit at the end of the day and LO gets to relax a bit more...

Offline Rizo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:39:52 am »
becj86 you are everywhere! Thankyou for taking the time to answer this.

Yeah thats what I thought, the slower flow for the cluster seems to relax him and he is taking the faster teats well at the other times so I will just go with whatever one he wants at the time.
 :)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 09:58:45 am »
I just saw your name and the title in latest unread list... Perhaps I'm slightly addicted to BW :D

Thought, hey yeah, makes sense really to want a slower teat when you're more tired - I eat slower when tired too :P