Author Topic: Brown Rice or White Rice Cereal?  (Read 1272 times)

Offline mamajes

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Brown Rice or White Rice Cereal?
« on: May 07, 2012, 20:05:47 pm »
My pediatritian recommended that we start our four month old on some rice cereal to help with his reflux. I am going to make my own and I am looking to find out if anyone knows if brown rice would be too hard for him to digest right away. He has had problems with gas and reflux since he was three weeks old and I really don't want to aggrevate either by using the wrong one... Anyone know which is better?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Brown Rice or White Rice Cereal?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 20:17:01 pm »
Honestly - I'd give neither wait for a while! Rice cereal is really hard to digest (UK guidelines are not to use brown versions with little ones as they are more filling and can stop them getting enough calories because they will eat less of it) and can cause constipation which also makes reflux worse.

We started my DS at 5 months and it made his reflux significantly worse. It did help my DD, she was pouring out her milk so a couple of spoonfulls from 5 months helped keep her reflux milk down - if she was silently refluxing like her brother at that age I would have left it until 6 months and started BLW.

Laura