Author Topic: Could she be sensitive to cow's milk?  (Read 5110 times)

Offline beckygatt

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Could she be sensitive to cow's milk?
« on: May 07, 2012, 20:38:42 pm »
I have recently stopped BFing and started giving dd2 cow's milk. Over the last few days she has been gassy, pooing more frequently and her stomach is generally not quite right. She has been waking up from naps crying as though uncomfortable, and waking up a lot at night crying. She is restless and tosses and turns. It could be teeth of course but I'm concerned she might be sensitive to the cow's milk. As a baby she had bad colic and I did wonder if she was intolerant to lactose, but the colic passed and she seemed ok on the whole (although she's always been a bit gassy). Could it be that now the greater amounts of cow's milk are causing problems? Is there any way of confirming this?

Thanks!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Could she be sensitive to cow's milk?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 21:01:50 pm »
Hi there, she could have an intolerance to cows milk. Does she have cheese, yoghurt etc in her diet? It could just be an intolerance as she adjusts to straight cows milk.

The only way to tell is to take it out her diet!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 21:07:58 pm »
She has cheese and yoghurt sometimes but not daily. I guess these would cause a reaction too? What should I give her instead? Goats milk? I give her formula at night, should I continue with that? Sorry for all the queations, just not sure how to proceed! Thanks!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 21:15:22 pm »
What formula is she on? If she is taking that OK and had no symptoms after starting that then I guess she is reacting to the cows milk - I have heard that people can react to that but are OK with cheese and yoghurt - my DH is one in fact - but he has only recently diagnosed himself. It is something to go with the way the heat treatment effects the milk.

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 21:19:19 pm »
She is on hipp organic night milk. Again, when she started it a couple of months ago there were a few nights she was gassy and I thought it might the formula, but it passed and she was ok...

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 21:23:28 pm »
Hmm, in that case I would proably take out the milk for now and see how you go. Use oat/soy/hemp/coconut instead - or even the formula (maybe someone else can advise ont hat one ???). Personally I would avoid goat for now as very close to cow's.

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 07:37:48 am »
I have heard that people can react to that but are OK with cheese and yoghurt - my DH is one in fact - but he has only recently diagnosed himself.
My DS is the same - reacts to cow's milk but is fine with yogurt, etc. He's on soya milk purely because I had no help from the GP (he laughed when I suggested DS might have an intolerance :( ) and I eventually decided to make the switch myself just to see if it made a difference. I have heard that soya milk isn't ideal though so perhaps get some advice on that (DS was on it for a year before my HV knew anything about it and told me that though, but she said that as he's been fine on it to just continue). He was a different child the minute I made the switch. Definitely worth taking it out of his diet to see.
Catherine x

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 11:16:28 am »
No, I'm not too keen on soya milk either, I think I'll try oat. I guess for now its best to remove yoghurt and cheese too, and reintroduce gradually? I know there's a lot of fat in milk which is important, so I'm a bit concerned about that....

How soon should I expect an improvement if it is the problem? I know it can remain in the system for a couple of weeks but surely there should be a slight improvement right away?

And how about the formula, should I continue with that as I had been before?

Thanks so much to both of you!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 11:28:37 am »
So today is day 3 of stopping cow's milk. The first day I still gave her formula and that night was just as bad. Lots of crying and eventually took her for a drive at midnight to get her to sleep. The second day I stopped the formula too and only gave her oat milk and that night she was better overall. She still woke a few times but settled more easily and even when we got her into bed at 4am she was better than the last few days.

Now my question is... does the fact that she already improved a bit make it more or less likely that milk is the problem? I know it can remain in the system for 2 weeks, so would you expect an improvement so soon?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 18:35:00 pm »
It can be very quick as her system is literally not struggling to digest and process the milk proteins. Great that you are seeing an improvement so quickly!

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 20:14:47 pm »
It was very quick with us too.
Catherine x

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 07:02:58 am »
So she has definitely been much better since removing cow's milk, formula and dairy. Although of course could be a coincidence...? So where do I go from here? Do I keep her off dairy? Reintroduce things slowly?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 17:30:26 pm »
You *could* give her a bit of dairy and see what happens? If she is sick again then that must confirm she is sensitive to it? If you don't want to then you could try her with yoghurt/cheese and see if she is OK with them. Sometimes LOs can tolerate them as the proteins are broken down in the heat treatment. Or you could just give her system a good rest and keep her off till 18 months and then give it a go.

Did you say you had an appt with the docs? I would def talk to them when removing dairy as you will need advice on her diet and make sure she is getting enough calcium etc.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 04:22:38 am »
We have the same struggle here with cow's milk.  DD is 18 months...

Cheese and yogurt are completely fine for us.  I can cook with milk (scrambled eggs/baking etc) with no problems... it's just the proteins that cause a bit of tummy upset for us... I just keep trying every few months.

I spoke to her doctor about it and he advised to just keep her on formula - no issues with doing so at all.

If you stop formula, are you able to get liquid calcium supplements where you live?

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 07:56:59 am »
Sounds similar. I've never noticed a problem with cheese or yoghurt or milk in cooking. Although at the moment I'm not giving her those either. Not sure about supplements, would have to ask my doctor. Last night she was up again and seemed uncomfortable, so it made me wonder if it is the milk after all. You just never know with these babies!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 19:48:17 pm »
Totally sounds like the milk Becky... more than likely it's just that her tummy is mature enough to handle the increased level and more difficult to digest proteins... cheese and yogurt go through a cooking process so the proteins are partly broken down and easier on the tummy... I would just give it until she is 18 months and try again... most kids will outgrow this sensitivity by 2-3 years of age.

If she is fine with yogurt and cheese, i would reintroduce those to up her calcium intake :)

Offline Cass79

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 11:52:31 am »
My LO is 4 months old and has a suspected allergy to cows milk protein, she has nutramigen formula on prescription from the GP - though we awaiting a referral to a paediatric dietician who i think will test her... not sure. Her symptoms were reflux (this has been helped by the change of formula but is still a problem) a rash on her cheeks after feeding,and she had so much wind it was untrue. She also was crying in pain after feeds but part of this may have been down to her reflux. She was previously on Hipp organic as i'd heard that its gentler on their tum.
Your GP may be able to refer for allergy testing? i think they do a skin prick test