Author Topic: Fun activities for 3yo and 16mo together!  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Spandanna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Fun activities for 3yo and 16mo together!
« on: May 08, 2012, 15:42:24 pm »
Ughhhh so DD is nearly 3, DD is 16MO and I cannot walk out the room without them screaming at each other as DD bulldozes DS' play. They want whatever the other has and aren't old enough to express things properly (although we have worked really hard with DS on not shouting at DD when she takes his toy and using kind words or simply let her have a look because she gets bored of it quickly etc etc etc) DD has only just started walking and this is making things a little easier but I'm after ideas for things I can do with them both together.

Things I have tried recently are making a den and taking toys in (although they inevitably ended up grabbing each other's toys) we have done playdoh now DD is less likely to put in her mouth (although she still is inclined to do this more than DS ever did at this age) trips out are fine but it's pay around the house that I struggle to find fun things I can do with them both together.

Any ideas welcome and greatly appreciated!!!

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Fun activities for 3yo and 16mo together!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 21:34:43 pm »
Sensory stuff - tubs of water and things in it - toys but also jugs, funnel, containers to fill and dump.

Trays of lentils with tractors etc in them. Trucks and stones. Gravel and buckets and wheelbarrows.

Sandpit - let the LO fill and dump but give the older more structure with making castles etc.

Out on wheels - big one on trike/bike/scooter, LO on ride on.

Simple colouring with crayons.

Play dough - again more structure for the eldest.

But basically I am thinking sensory stuff where the LO can fill, pour and dump, but the eldest can do more imaginative play. Dried beans and cupcake cases.

Is your younger one into filling bags etc and walking about??

Offline Spandanna

• Showing Appreciation 8
Re: Fun activities for 3yo and 16mo together!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:10:15 pm »
Thanks so much for your response Liz

It's mostly indoors that I struggle. Usually once out and about I can keep them both entertained and happy but the weather here is so terrible at the moment and we live in a small terraced house where the kids are on top of each other in our living room all the time. I get them in the bath at odd times to do water play and that works pretty well. They still grab things off each other and always want what the other is playing with but it's not as bad. Will have a go with the lentils/tractors/trucks etc and some other fill and dump activities.

DD is really into puttin items of clothing on so have tried dressing up with them but DS not that into it and DD is very stubborn and independent. I'm not allowed to help her do aything but then she gets frustrated to the point of rage and tears because she can't quite do everything she wants!!! This seems like a really difficult phase at the moment!! (although a bit easier now she is walking!!)