Author Topic: Is this snacking?? - Help!  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Jenybean2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is this snacking?? - Help!
« on: May 08, 2012, 20:13:23 pm »
Hi All,

LO is bottle fed - on formula.. just 2 weeks ago... had to go on Neocate for medical issues.

His EASY looks like this...

Typically wakes at 6:30ish
7am - Eat (almost always only 3 oz)
Sleep - 9-11am (sometimes 8:30)

11am - Eat - 4-5 oz
12:30-2:45 - Sleep

3pm - Eat - hopefully 4 oz... sometimes only 3.. lately getting worse
5 - 6pm - Cat nap

6:20pm -start bedtime - has bottle before bed... 5-6 oz (6 is us really pushing and coaxing though)

10:30/11pm - DF - 5oz... occassionally 6 with coaxing... sometimes only 3 oz.. and hubby stays up and tries again in 30-45 mins

then.. anywhere from 3am to 4:30am.. he wakes.. and takes 5 oz... he has been waking again lately (past couple days)...at 5:30ish.. but we don't go in.. or if we do it's to replace the paci and then we leave.. cuz.. he can't be hungry.. after only 2 hours.

Soooo my question is.... how to increase the bottle amount during the day to get rid of this feed at 4am..... He seems to need the food at 4am.. and honestly eats really well then.. but other feeds during the day.. he looks around... swirls bottle in mouth.... takes a long time... sometimes wants 15 mins break before eating more... My first little guy was up to 7-8oz by now and sleeping through the night.. I know they are different... but his LO isn't very hungry at 7am... after eating at 4ish.. and I'm wondering if that 4am feed is ruining his appetite? :-\

Please help... I'm not sure how to go about fixing this.. if there is something to be fixed.

Also - is teething a possibility at 4 mths old?

thanks!

Offline Jenybean2

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Is this snacking?? - Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 16:14:21 pm »
So after not feeding well during the day... and taking 3 oz.. then not taking other 2 until 20 mins or so later I just decided to try not feeding last night at 3:30am when he woke. 

He had drank 6oz by 7:15pm... then had another oz at 10:50pm.. so waking at 3:30am seemed early.  I put the paci in.. thinking at least I'd push it an hour.. but when he woke in an hour he wasn't crying.. he was babbling/yelling out... then started with what I think was the mantra cry.. so I didn't go in... he quieted on own and went back to sleep... then he babbled/yelled (not cry) again around 5:30ish... but did not escalate and went back to sleep.

Then this morning.. took 5 oz at 7am...but at the 11am feed... only took 3 oz.. and was chewing on his own hands.. and my fingers like crazy..... I think perhaps teething?.. even though it seems young to me at only 4 months. 

I was reading other posts about moving to a big nipple size... I might try that later today because after 2-3 oz he seems to take a long time... perhaps bored with it once initial hunger has been controlled.

Thoughts?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 17:44:00 pm »
What medical issues was he put on the neocate for? Was it reflux? If so is he medicated for it as well - if he is how much does he weigh, what meds and at what dose?

The feeds in the night could well really be hunger even if it's only been 2 hours if he isn't feeding well during the day, there is also a big growth spurt at 4 months.  He could be teething, he's a bit young for it but it's always possible. If he does have reflux that could also be a reason for more NFs.

Are you thickening his feeds? What flow teat is he on?

Laura

Offline Jenybean2

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 20:21:30 pm »
Hi - thanks for responding :)

LO is on Neocate due to multiple food allergies.. but he has reflux too.. he is on Prilosec 10mg daily and doing well on it.

I haven't thickened the feeds.... he is on a level 2 nipple using Born Free bottles.. I tried a level 3 today and he sputtered a lot....

Today he had - 5oz at 7am (didn't feed at the 4am time when he woke and he went back to sleep)
then he had only 3 oz at 11am.. I tried and tried.. but wouldn't take anymore.....

Then 5 oz again at 3:30pm (he would've stopped at 4 oz.. but I coaxed him to do more).

My hope... is that he'll take 6 oz around 7pm before bed.. and 6 oz at DF....so for today if that happens he would be at 25 oz in 24 hours (if I don't feed again at the 4:30am time).

Is this enough? 

Currently when he wakes he isn't crying.. just babbling/calling out.. but not crying... will this eventually go away on it's own and he'll just sleep?....should I post that question on the sleep boards?

thanks