Author Topic: Pedaling a bike  (Read 12339 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Pedaling a bike
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2012, 18:38:10 pm »
Thats great Em  :) :-*. J is on 2 wheels on the balance bike now, and is often flailing his legs about saying he is practising his pedalling  ::).

Going to have to bite the bullet and get a real bike soon - he is going to outgrow the balance bike soon anyway. He is getting too tall.

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2012, 18:40:48 pm »
I just noticed the other day that Finn's legs are finally growing (for the longest time he was growing torso up lol) so I think our balance bike will be nearing it's end too.  Probably get him a regular bike for his birthday next year, if we end up with a March as mild as it was this year!
The tweaking never stops!

Offline Me.and.my.two.boys

• Showing Appreciation 41
  • Me and my boys ❤️
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2012, 07:46:36 am »
Yay, thats great :) We got DS a big bike last month (its his main birthday present but we gave him it early so he could get some summer use out of it before his birthday at the end of August). He was very wary to begin with and wanted me to hold on to it but now he will cycle around with it loads :) It has stabalizers on it just now because he needed to get used to pedalling after having the balance bike but I dont think we will have them on for long, he has already asked for them off but I think he needs a little more practice! Also, Im 30 weeks pg and dont fancy running around behind him while he learns with no stabalizers lol!
Kelly, mum of two amazing boys 2008 and 2012

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2012, 17:24:20 pm »
I'm so proud of my DS1, he's doing so great on his bike.  ;D  And he actually LIKES riding it!  He is usually so low energy that I expected him to say he's tired halfway around the block and then refuse to ride it, but he is going all over the place on it!  I suspect he will be able to lose the stabilizers soon, if not by the fall then definitely early next year.  I think all he needs to do is get a little stronger with the pedalling so that he can keep it going, but he rides it so well and very straight with good steering so I don't see balance being an issue.  He looks so grown up now.  I'll have to buy him a bigger bike next year though, this one is already on the highest seat level and he is going to outgrow it, but that's ok because it will be the perfect size for DS2 next year.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2012, 21:06:45 pm »
Actually, despite what I said I here I ended up getting DS a bike. He was just too tall for the balance bike, and kept asking me to raise the seat, and if I raised it anymore he would fall off!!

He is doing fab  ;D, but we do have stabilisers on for now. But he rode 2km on a local cycle path today and was just fine.

Megan has just started on the balance bike and is walking nicely with it. Hopefully she will start to run soon!

I will still pop DS on the balance bike as well and try and take the stabilisers off very soon.

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2012, 21:25:58 pm »
Great news!  Although it's just a reminder that they are growing up too fast!  :'(

DS1 rides his bike all over the place now.  Though he has become a bit timid going over curbs (ie when crossing the road) because of the hills and bumps, as he has gotten stuck and/or fallen a few times.  But he is always brave when he topples over and gets right back on.  For now though he prefers to get off and walk his bike across, which I think is the proper way to cross anyway.  ;) 
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012