Author Topic: Newborn activity  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Janelle86

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 15, 2012, 16:24:43 pm »
Hi ladies!
I'm new here and due to give birth at the beginning of June with my first child. I have been trying to research and read up on as much information as I can to be as prepared as I can. I just have one question with regards to the "A" for a newborn... What exactly are you doing during this time? I mean, I know they can't actually play with toys as such so are you counting diaper change and that type of thing?
Thanks in advance for your reply!

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Newborn activity
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 05:00:24 am »
Hi Janelle,
Have a look here: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52863.0
It's an age they really don't "do" much, mostly looking around. *Sigh*, I miss that age...
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 05:51:52 am »
You might also find this link helpful: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=128419.0

A time is everything from eyes open to eyes closed again, so yes, include feeding and diaper change! For the first couple of weeks you might find you don't have time for anything other than this, depending on how long your LO takes to feed - perhaps a few minutes of looking at mama's face and that will be enough before you start winding down for sleep again ;)
*Nuala*

Offline stardust599

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 19:00:00 pm »
Yep agree.  With a newborn by the time you have fed, winded and changed it's time to put down again.  Later they might have a bit of looking around and then making making faces with you etc.  Don't worry it all comes naturally :-)
Mummy to a beautiful girl born Nov 2010 - touchy baby now a touchy/spirited Toddler!

Baby boy born 2nd July 2012 - my very spirited little monkey with MSPI, GERD & dysphagia.  Here to help ask me anything :-)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 19:32:38 pm »
When you start to have a few minutes A that aren't taken up with feeding, burping and changing it's nice to just look at one another and have a little chat or a song.  You can hang or pin up something visual for LO to gaze at too (like a cot mobile).  Bold black and white contrast is good, just print out or draw some parallel lines, geometric shapes or wiggly lines with a broad black marker pen onto white card.  My LO loved staring at strong black and white cards and also loved his jungle gym mat that had hanging toys.  I think we got that when he was around 4 weeks old.