Author Topic: Talk to me... *Day 4 of Alimentum, pics on p5*  (Read 21758 times)

Offline teilvnav

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 90
Re: Talk to me about rice allergy?
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2012, 00:57:01 am »
My only concern at this point is this: will putting her on either of these two formulas harm her in any way if this is not the cause of her intolerance? Maybe 'harm' is a harsh word... basically what I mean is, will she be missing out on anything by trying these, if they are not what she needs? If not, then we are going to try Alimentum starting this week. I figure we'll give it 2-3 weeks, and if nothing has changed then we will try something else. I am hoping that her eczema will at least start to heal once I am on the right track. It bugs her so much... tonight she was whimpering and rubbing it so much at a bbq that our friends were commenting on how much it bothered her. :(

Zoey, I have been keeping track and nothing changed when we stopped giving her rice that I am aware of.
Amy

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2012, 01:01:12 am »
No.... Owen was 90% for weight and height all thru baby/toddlerhood... and continues to be.  :)  Plus she is also getting solids, which adds even more nutrients.  Alimentum/Nutrimigen however are complete as is... the proteins are just broken down some - or something very technical of that fashion :)

I'd give it a month, but of course that's me.  You wouldn't want to stop before you got to see if it really worked.  However there should be a slow but progressive change for the better, after a week or so.

Hugs
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:03:36 am by Zoey »

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2012, 01:04:51 am »
Thanks Hun!
Amy

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2012, 01:32:46 am »
Alimentum/Nutrimigen however are complete as is... the proteins are just broken down some - or something very technical of that fashion

Yep, that' my understanding too.  When our paed made us try it, he said it was just the same as regular formula, except that the proteins were smaller, so easier to digest.

Good luck
Elise

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2012, 03:43:11 am »
Along the lines of Neocate, there is Nutramigen AA as well...

Alimentum seems to be fairly consistent with pricing :)  Checked Walmart... 4 x 237mls cans of RTF for $7.27   Cases of 24 cans are $44.99 at well.ca (free shipping).. a little more $$ but within $2 for the same amount :)

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2012, 04:51:28 am »
Just chiming in that it's a complete formula and in no way would it hold her back if she were on it and didn't 'need' to be. It's not like a medication (I thought it was as in NB it had to be prescribed).

I would also give it a month. It could take ten days for the milk proteins to get out of her system and for you to see a difference if mpi is what's going on.

More hugs.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2012, 15:50:24 pm »
I wanted to add that any studies done on the effectiveness of Alimentum for MPI were done with the Ready To Feed (RTF)- it will say that someplace on the can of powder or the can insert - if you buy the can of powder.

Also, strangely there are different ingredients in the powder form, than the RTF - http://abbottnutrition.com/products/similac-expert-care-alimentum

We always used the RTF type, because of this info.

More hugs

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2012, 16:09:06 pm »
I use Alimentum for Emily, Amy. I've only ever seen RTF, never powders anywhere.

The difference in Emily's sleep since starting this is AMAZING. I know it's not Anna's sleep you are trying to help though ;)

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2012, 18:46:06 pm »
That is strange, eh Zoey? I understand some of the ingredients being different, but you would think that both forms would work the same way. Weird. Well, like Jenn said we can't seem to find the powder anywhere... maybe they just have the RTF in Canada. DH is getting some now; he is out grocery shopping with DS.

Jenn, I certainly wouldn't mind if it helped her sleep! Since she was born we have only had two evenings (someone do the math there) where she has gone to bed at BT and stayed asleep. Not STTN until the next morning, but stayed asleep until at least the DF. It has gotten better in the last few weeks but she is generally awake 2-3 times between BT and the DF, and on a good night it is just a quick resettle. For months, though, she would just wake up screaming and inconsolable all evening long. :( She does STTN after the DF about 4 nights a week now, which is good. But DH and I are at the point where we would love to be able to hire a babysitter and go out for an evening, and it is frustrating that we can't. She has SA and is very, very attached to me... if anyone other than one of us tried to resettle her in the evenings we are too afraid that she would freak out completely.  :-\

I still worry about her bowels. Yesterday she seemed constipated; she only pooped once towards the end of the day, and it was rather firm and small but brown. Then this morning she had a slightly softer one (still quite formed) and again it was a nice normal looking brown. And then about 20 min later she had a green diarrhea blowout.   :-X Nothing to eat in between. What is that?? ???

Anyway, I am going to give the Alimentum a try and yes, I will give it a month. Thanks for the support girls!! You rock. I'll update you when we get an idea about how this is working.  :-*
Amy

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2012, 02:11:41 am »
Just checked the Similac website - we only have Alimentum RTF in Canada - no powder here!

http://similac.ca/en/products/alimentum/

Just wanted to add that green poops are actually fairly normal for a FF baby, Amy.  It's the iron in the formula.  DD is healthy and always had dark green poops on GoodStart :)

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2012, 02:31:30 am »
Amy we used to call the first formed poo the 'plug' and then the diarrhea. Only E has had this and the three of them are mpi so symptoms can vary.

Fx she takes it well and things start to change for you all. I know the want to get out and not worry about someone trying to settle your lo. I hope you get there soon.

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2012, 17:04:49 pm »
Well, she had a nice brown one today, perfect texture I would say. Strings of mucus still there, though. DH and I actually got into a bit of a fight because I called him in to look and he hates doing that. He went off about how maybe her poops are just how she poops and maybe her size is just because she is small. Maybe she just wakes up a lot because she is a baby who doesn't sleep well. All possible. :( But what about her forehead, then?? I don't know. Arg.

BTW, that Alimentum stuff is gross! She is taking it, but not easily; I have to sing to her and make eye contact the whole feeding and even then she keeps popping off to whine/fuss. Oh well, she is taking it. We are on Day 2 and have gone through $8 in formula so far!!!
Amy

Offline Zoey

• Sweet chubby cheeks
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2012, 18:15:01 pm »
Neocate is 32 dollars a tin.  I feel your pain.  :-*

Try not to become obsessed, and I say that from experience.. it's hard not to, but this sort of thing can become consuming.  Look at Anna, she will tell you tons :-* :-*

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2012, 18:18:46 pm »
Look at Anna, she will tell you tons
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

FX you get some decent results. Yes it could all be chalked up to how she is, but....................

Hugs

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2012, 21:24:29 pm »
Neocate is 32 dollars a tin.

$54 in Canada!

Hugs Amy - follow that Momma instinct - it never gives you a bum steer!