Author Topic: tips for helping DD learn to dress herself  (Read 3062 times)

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
tips for helping DD learn to dress herself
« on: May 16, 2012, 12:34:48 pm »
Not sure if this is the right place for this so feel free to move.

L (20 months) is super-keen at the moment on trying to dress herself.  On the whole I'm, of course, really pleased about this and would like to encourage the current enthusiasm she has for it as much as possible.

However, the trouble at the moment is that she can't actually do it and she gets very frustrated but she won't let me help in any way at all.  In the end, I always have to do it for her (as she is too frustrated/upset at this point to do it jointly) and this makes her more upset, so the whole episode usually ends unhappily.  As we are PTing at the moment, this can happen a few times a day.

Any tips for helping her learn to dress herself?  Or is it just a case of practice practice practice...?  How can I encourage her to let me help (a little)?

At the moment she's at the stage where she can sometimes get an arm in a sleeve of a cardigan or pull a Tshirt over her head or get one (or both) legs in a trouser leg.

TIA for any suggestions.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline skatty

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Re: tips for helping DD learn to dress herself
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 14:42:53 pm »
It is practice but it helps if there are easy to pull on clothes, my dd was the same and she often went to nursey with the hood of her tops under her chin etc but very proud  ;D Will she just let you put your hand up the sleeve of trouser leg so she can see where it will go?
Katt