Author Topic: 6.5 months refuses sleep!  (Read 984 times)

Offline carlynelson1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6.5 months refuses sleep!
« on: June 09, 2012, 09:29:38 am »
Help!!
Hi Ladies we really need help, our 6.5 month old won't sttn.

We don't have a time schedule with his routine, he wakes in the morning any time between 5 and 7.

We try to watch for tired signs usually after about 2hrs, at that point we take him to his (darkened) room to start wind down which is story, lullaby and then hopefully sleep. We always start wind down for bt at 7 which is bath, feed, story, lullaby. It has got to the point where he cries as soon as we enter his room, it's like he knows!

We're sometimes trying to get him to sleep for hours. He won't take a paci but does have a comforter. For the last three nights I've fed him to sleep out of desperation, during the day resorted to taking him out for a walk (even in the pouring rain lol).

He's bf, and on 2 meals a day (BLW). He had a week where he self setted (which was about 2 weeks ago, just to tease us) ;) Shush pat used to work, doesn't now. We've been trying pu/pd but had no success.

From 3-5 months he sttn, went down for naps etc what changed? We started BLW at 5.5 months.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Carly and Joel enthralled parents to Blake :D

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Re: 6.5 months refuses sleep!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 09:51:34 am »
Hi, welcome to BW!

First off, I have many questions:
Does he show tired signs after 2hr awake? A lot of babies are awake longer than that at 6.5 months of age and some babies trick you by using their tired signs for bored signs too and a change of activity is what they need, rather than a sleep and they'll fight sleep because they're undertired...
How many naps is he having? How long are they? How does he settle for them?
What time does he usually get to sleep at night?
Has he had his 6 month growth spurt yet? Its a doozy!
Does he suffer from reflux or any other condition? If so, is it under control? http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0
Is he teething?
What is his temperament? http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52283.0

Sorry that's not a great lot of advice, but I need a clear picture before I can suggest too much. xx

Offline carlynelson1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 11:44:48 am »
Thanks for the reply, we've just done the quiz again and we would say that he's a textbook baby with tendencies of a spirited baby, ie reaches milestones on cue etc, but does seem to know what he wants, and his crying often reaches a point of rage almost like all hell has broken loose!

We're now wondering if you are right about the boredom signs, we're going to change his activity during this cycle if he starts to ear pull/ yawn etc. How long should he be up for? Nap times vary tbh. It feels like we're constantly trying to get him to sleep! I would say either two or three naps a day depending on how long he previously napped for. When he eventually does go to sleep he will usually have a good nap as in 1-2 hrs.

We used to shush pat until about 4 weeks ago, one night he woke and his crying didn't escalate so we left him and he self setted, after that we tried to follow his lead and put him in his cot after our wind down routine, calm and drowsy (trying to calm him in his cot if he fussed but if his cry escalated then pu/pd) this worked for 2 weeks (heaven!).

For the last 2 weeks he's been different again. It seems like he gets hysterical whenever we do our sleep associations e.g going into his room, reading a story and so on. We tried to take it back, do shush pat again as nothing else worked but now that doesn't work either. Nap times are bareable, and we're now thinking that perhaps he's bored not tired.

NW I really struggle with, at present we still bath him at 7 and then feed then story then lullaby. he used to be asleep by 8. At the moment he could even be crying until 10:30 ish. I usually df at about 11 before I go to bed, with him going to bed so late I've waited until he woke on his own, but then the problem is getting him back down. Or sometimes he just keeps waking.

He doesn't suffer from reflux, or any thing else as far as we're aware.

Thanks in advance! x
Carly and Joel enthralled parents to Blake :D

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 21:50:12 pm »
It seems like he gets hysterical whenever we do our sleep associations e.g going into his room, reading a story and so on.
This is likely that he's not tired :)

Here's a link that sets out the typical lengths of A times based on age: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=84884.0