Author Topic: 21months MPI wean onto coconut milk - sudden red angry rash  (Read 6266 times)

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
Feel free to move if this needs to go on the health boards - I wasn't sure which to post on!

DS 21 months is MPI & on hypoallergenic formula.  He can tolerate a small amount of cheese but yoghurt/milk still upsets him.  We are trying to wean onto coconut milk from the Tesco 'free from' range.  Chose this after previous unsuccessful attempts to wean onto goats milk or soy milk (both caused diarrhoea).  We are on day 3 & he is having 2oz on his breakfast cereal & 7-8oz in his bedtime bottle.

He's had a cold for the last week & yesterday his eyes were watering.  This morning he has a lot of redness on the skin under both eyes & they look sore.  During the course of the day he's developed a rash around his mouth & cheeks, on the tops of his knees, the backs of his knees, down his shins, around his ankles & on his forearms & wrists.   He also has the odd spot on his ears, tummy & back.  The rash is very red, raised bumps that look a bit pimply/spotty in appearance & they seem to be itchy.  A couple of the larger patches/clusters look a bit eczema like & have yellow crusts (prob from scratching).  In addition, he's developed a nasty nappy rash.  In fact the rash on his arms/legs/face looks very similar to the nappy rash - all angry & red.

He is teething his 2yr molars atm & constantly has his hands in his mouth.  His thumbs & fingers are similarly red & spotty, and very chapped & sore.

Yesterday he ate strawberries, hasn't had them for a while & I know they can be an allergen but he hasnt reacted to them like this before.  Oh & he had a packet of 'Pom Bear' crisps which he's never had before.  That's all I can think of in terms of dietary links, aside from the coconut milk.

Does anyone have any experience of coconut milk causing symptoms like this???  Does this even sound like an allergy, or could it all be related to teething ???

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: 21months MPI wean onto coconut milk - sudden red angry rash
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 19:59:06 pm »
I think the fact that the rash is everywhere makes it unlikey to be teething. It could be an allergy - were there any hives? If it is getting worse tomroorow I would get him down a walk in centre or GPs as it could be something like hand foot and mouth??

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 20:12:43 pm »
My DS2 is MPI - and has no problem on coconut milk ( we use the Kara brand always stored with long life milk in supermarket) but I can tell you that Pom bear crisps are not dairy free - is there a chance he could be reacting to them?? I would never have guessed that pom bear crisps had dairy in them - very weird!

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 20:22:59 pm »
BB - He's had hand foot & mouth before & this seems very different.  Last time he was very poorly with a high temp & very lethargic for a day or so before the rash appeared & he was right off his food too.  He hasn't been poorly at all this time, or off his food, the only thing we very definitely have is the teething.

Rach - ugh!  I never even thought to check the label on the crisps.  Grrr!  Its still a pretty severe reaction for him to have though - if he has a small amount of dairy we usually get facial rashes & a few eczema patches, if he has more over a couple of days then he may get diarrhoea, but we've never seen a reaction this strong. 

I think we will see how he is in the morning & take a trip to the out of hours GP if its gotten any worse.

Thanks ladies

Offline rach321

• My monkey boys.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 21:10:14 pm »
Hope you get some answers soon - I've also been caught out with those crisps - why on earth they would need dairy I have no idea.  Hope his rash settles down soon.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 21:12:57 pm »
H F and M was just a suggestion, the first one I could think of. There seems to be be so many things that this LOs can pick up! Maybe it is viral? What is your gut reaction?

Offline rach321

• My monkey boys.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 21:14:02 pm »
Just rechecked the ingredients for you and it depends what flavour they were but the plain ones have soya in them but can't see any dairy listed but the packet definitely says something about not being suitable for those with milk allergy.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 21:20:00 pm »
Yesterday he ate strawberries, hasn't had them for a while & I know they can be an allergen but he hasnt reacted to them like this before.

How long since he has had them? (and how often has he eaten them?) Allergies can crop up anytime, my family has a history of developing life threatening allergies in their 30's to things eaten for a lifetime. I would be most suspicious of the strawberries myself!
Heidi

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 12:45:11 pm »
Well....this morning we have blisters on his hands, on the fingers & the palms & wrists.  The rash on his legs is very very itchy & sore & he's scratching it until it bleeds :-(  I checked his feet again (which yesterday were fine) & it looks like we are getting some blisters on his toes now too.  He also has blisters in his nappy area which have crusted over.  He won't let me look in his mouth but it must be sore as he's got his fingers in there & he's very irritable.

There have been reported cases of chicken pox at his nursery in the last couple of weeks, but it doesn't look like chicken pox to me - the spots/blistered are too concentrated in specific places. So.....hand foot & mouth seems the most likely culprit after all!!!

I know the docs can't do anything for HF&M so its just keep him dosed on Calpol, but I think we are going to take him to the out of hours GP this avo just to have the doc confirm this is definitely what he has.  Just to rule out anything else, and so I know if I need to keep him off nursery tomorrow.

Offline rach321

• My monkey boys.
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 13:06:20 pm »
Poor little man, hfm is horrible. Lots of cold drinks and food really helped us - ice cream and jelly were firm favourites ( dairy free of course!!)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 13:19:30 pm »
Oh no! That really was a shot in the dark. Have you taken photos so you can show the GP?

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 13:28:50 pm »
No I havent taken photo's - good idea!  The nurse I spoke to over the phone says it may be Impetigo but I'm not convinced - my vote is with hand, foot & mouth.  We've managed to get an appt today so we'll see what the doc says!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 13:31:29 pm »
Good luck! Interested to know what it is. I don't remember Olly being scratchy with his.

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 13:35:45 pm »
No my DS wasn't particularly scratchy last time either.  Reckon this is why nurse thinks impetigo.

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 16:12:52 pm »
Well doc's verdict is its just some sort of viral rash.  The inside of his mouth is clear so he was happy its not HFM.  Nor is it impetigo.  He said it looked a bit infected where DS has been scratching so he's prescribed antibiotics & also antihistamine to stop the itching.  Got to keep him off nursery tomorrow too.x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 17:25:51 pm »
Well at leats it was an allergic reaction! These pesky viral rashes  ::) Hope it clears up soon x