Author Topic: Won't eat anything other than purees?!  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Mum of twins

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Won't eat anything other than purees?!
« on: May 21, 2012, 14:11:15 pm »
My twins are 9 months and feeding times are starting to drive me mad! One of my twins is brilliant with solids now and will eat whatever we eat just minced chopped or mashed. However the other one is the complete opposite (not just with eating!) he will only eat puréed foods. Any other slight texture and he has one mouthful and will refuse any more. He will suck finger foods however if he gets anything other than mush in his mouth he will gag and throw is all up and then refuse any more. I'm just worried that he will never learn to chew or ever like different textures. If I make his porridge too thick he will refuse it! I always offer him what we are having and if not I end up puréeing it or giving him a jar of baby food for the simple life (something which I want to get out of).

Has anyone got any suggestions? I feel that at 9 months he should be eating lots of different textures now.

TIA, Sarah
Sarah :)

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
Re: Won't eat anything other than purees?!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 15:14:55 pm »
They "should" but unfortunately they don't all follow the textbooks. Both of my twins were on purees for almost a year. Just keep offering and try to do it as gradual as possible. Make note of it and mention to your Doc but they'll likely outgrow it in a few months.

I know it's a pain when they don't eat the same and you're dealing with two at a time but this will pass.

Any chance the one struggling with textures is a touchy temperament?
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Mum of twins

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 16:34:10 pm »
Ahh that makes me feel better knowing they're not the only ones! It just seems like he'll never get the hang of it at the minute. He also knows that when he refuses anything more textured I'll bring the smooth stuff out! And rather than disrupting dinner time to purée his food I just get a jar out of the cupboard, which I don't want to do.

He has a more touchy temperament than his brother yes! But he's not too bad. They are completely different though.

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 18:42:52 pm »
You could also gradually introduce some very soft lumps in the purees and just take it super slow and gradual.

Mine are identical spiriteds but one has some touchy attributes and the other grumpy. The one with more touchy attributes was my harder one to get onto new textures. Now she's the one who tries anything and the one who had less issue with textures is more picky.

Funny these los are ;)

Offline Mum of twins

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 19:40:07 pm »
I will persevere with it and hopefully he will get there one day. Thanks for the advice anyway!

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 20:05:30 pm »
Hi,
My LO was generally a good eater but there was a stage between smooth purees and 'proper' food where she wasn't always so keen - I think the 'lumpy purée' stage can just be a bit odd to some of them.  Are you offering any finger foods? That can be a great way to introduce new textures and I think most LOs prefer finger foods to lumpy purees iyswim.
If your LO is having a mixture of finger foods and smooth purees then I don't think you have anything to worry about. You could end up skipping the whole 'lumpy purée' stage altogether and move eventually from finger foods and purees to 'proper' food. Just follow your LO's lead, don't stress, keep offering new things, and try to make it fun.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Mum of twins

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 16:51:51 pm »
Hi Catherine,
Thanks for the advice. I suppose it will be a bit strange going from smooth purees to having lumps. It's just me wanting them both to be on the same page in terms of food so I can give them the same. I sometimes have to remind myself they are different and will do things at their own pace.

He does have finger foods, yes. I think I may need to be a bit more creative with them though as I seem to always offer them the same things. He does eat some of it but most of it ends up mushed in his hands of on the floor. All part of the fun :)

Offline cath~

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 17:47:24 pm »
'Playing' with food is all part of it :) To start with he might just touch something/play with it in his hands. Then he might lick it a few days later. A bit later still it might go in his mouth but then come back out again. Eventually he will swallow some and finally he will be asking you for more. Even if he doesn't eat stuff you give him now, exposing him to it in this way with no pressure whether or not he actually eats it is what it's all about at this age.
I'd def recommend with experimenting with lots of different finger foods though. Mix new things in with things you know he likes.
Must be tricky when considering what to give two LOs that like different things though.. Perhaps you can give them each a mix at each meal - something one will like and something the other will like?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Mum of twins

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 08:14:07 am »
Yes I will do thanks. Have you got any ideas for finger foods or any links that I can have a look at? As you can probably tell I'm a first time mum and I'm a bit new to all of this! Is it normal for him to gag on things as if he's choking and throw food back up? I don't think he's actually choking as he only has tiny bits in his mouth.

Offline Brock~Tahlia~Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 10:06:52 am »
Hi Sarah, this sounds "normal" to me! DS had purée or real food no lumps. He was eating regular food well after his first birthday. He was very sensitive to some food and would also throw up from gagging. He's almost 3 and only managing peas now! He will eat just about anything only recently and it's due to him being sensitive to food textures. He's a big healthy boy so try not to worry as it won't last.
I offered well cooked toast fingers, watermelon,mummums, bread sticks and that was all at 9months as he aged closer to 1 I introduced cheese and sandwiches, crackers, banana and the main thing I learnt was if you offer a new food or new texture I should say, offer it first so the belly isnt full so if he gags he won't or is less likely to throw it up.

Try not to worry Hun by the time DS was 18months he was eating spag bowl, strawberries and a few other regular foods. DS has always been sensitive to textures but like I said he eats almost all textures now. I just needed to take it slowly. My DS skipped the lumpy stage all together!

You can find some awesome chicken purées that include chicken, sweet pot, zucchini, carrot and apple. It's sounds like a funny mix but it's smooth and the blended chicken is quite fine and appears like flecks of white. These kind of purees will give him the nutrition he needs while he gets use to other foods.

HTH
*Alice*

Offline cath~

DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Mum of twins

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:30:50 pm »
Ahh thank you for your help everyone. Much appreciated! I will have a look at those links and keep at the finger food. Tried fish fingers mash and veg today! He did 'try' a bit of everything not sure if much went down. He did have quite a bit of the mash but I had to smooth it down with milk! Baby steps though right? :)

Offline my3girlsjde

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 04:35:04 am »
Baby steps, exactly. And if he's trying it then that's the key. Eventually he'll figure out that trying new foods is quite fun and interesting.