Author Topic: Replacing formula with soya milk at 1yr  (Read 5341 times)

Offline petram

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: May 23, 2012, 20:56:33 pm »
Hi just a quick question
My LO is almost 1yr, he has been on Nutramigen since he was 8months.
Normally when LO's get to 1yr you can give them full fat cows milk instead of formula, can you also do that when replacing the formula with soya milk?
Also, can LO's have coconut milk?

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: Replacing formula with soya milk at 1yr
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 21:13:25 pm »
Why is he on Nutramigen?  If he has MPI, I would not offer soy milk.  The proteins are very similar and will likely cause a reaction.

You can offer coconut milk, almond milk, oat milk... just be aware that they don't have much in terms of calories, protein or fat. 

IIWM, I would keep him on formula for a while yet.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 21:16:24 pm »
I think I agree with Kara to keep him on formula for a while yet. We BF and so didn't have that option so choose oat milk in conjunction with calcium supplements and a careful diet.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 21:17:56 pm »
I think there is also a concern with soya milk and boys? I would stick to the formula too. 

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 21:21:19 pm »
Shiv is right.  Soy has phytoestrogens and can mess with a growing babies hormone levels (girls and boys).

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 21:24:53 pm »
Thanks Kara.  Was just googling for the reasons to come back and post.  I read it can affect boys reproductive systems so thats why its particularly not advised for boys.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 21:31:27 pm »
Soy milk WAS advised by our dietician for Olly when he was little more than a year. We didn't go down that route as I hadn't proved yet he was OK with soy and by the time I had we were used to oat milk.

Offline Mum to F&A

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 21:32:20 pm »
ds is allergic to milk and the consultant told us he had to be on formula until at least 2yrs old because soy milk doesnt have enough fat etc. as per pp mentioned.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 21:46:50 pm »
Soy milk WAS advised by our dietician for Olly when he was little more than a year.
We saw the paed about 9-10 months ago and they didn't recommend it or rice milk.  And she did say they were newer recommendations. 

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 02:36:02 am »
ds is allergic to milk and the consultant told us he had to be on formula until at least 2yrs old because soy milk doesnt have enough fat etc. as per pp mentioned.

Soy milk is actually fairly similar to cow's milk in terms of everything except fat - it has about half of the fat of whole milk.

Offline petram

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 08:31:19 am »
Wow! Theres alot of info in those posts that I wasn't aware of.

My LO was put on Nutramigen after he had a sickness bug at 7.5months, after 3 weeks he still had D&V, mostly D, so was prescribed Nutramigen and told to use soya milk in cooking etc, he can't have anything wih cooked milk either.

When he gets to 1yr (3rd June) we have to give him something with cooked milk in eg biscuit, bread stick etc and see how he goes, if hes ok with a small portion on day 1, we try again the next day etc for 1 week, if he gets sick etc we stop and need to see GP who will refer us to a dietician.

We did this trial at 10months and he was sick for 5 days after having only 1 half of a bread stick.

Does that all sound normal?

If he is MPI, why can he tolerate soy if it contains the same protiens? Can you be allergic to 'other things' in milk?

Thanks Kara.  Was just googling for the reasons to come back and post.  I read it can affect boys reproductive systems so thats why its particularly not advised for boys.
I cant believe i didn't know this!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 19:49:47 pm »
Petram - it seems odd that he was put on Nutramigen for a sickness bug... it is known that babies can have worsening gastro issues with milk based formula after they have been sick as the gut cannot absorb the proteins effectively until it has healed.  A general recommendation is to change to soy formula for a couple of weeks and then go back to your previous formula after that.

We did this trial at 10months and he was sick for 5 days after having only 1 half of a bread stick.

This could be dairy related but more than likely it sounds like a wheat sensitivity which is really common before a year of age as it is just too hard to break down.

What formula was he on prior to getting sick and did he have any issues before the bug at 7.5 months?

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 20:14:23 pm »
If he is MPI, why can he tolerate soy if it contains the same proteins? Can you be allergic to 'other things' in milk?

They aren't the same proteins exactly, but they're similar enough that they can trigger reactions if someone is intolerant of one of them.

The usual milk issues have to do with casein, but there are other proteins in milk (whey protein is apparently different). Some people have trouble with the milk sugar, but it turns out that MPI is much more common than actual lactose intolerance.

Offline petram

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 20:45:04 pm »
Hes definately not wheat intolerant as he eats bread, cereal, home made fruit cakes etc all obviously containing wheat.

The bread stick we gave him had dry milk products in, we would not normaly give him things like that, i always check the ingrediants list to see if it contains milk in any way shape or form. He also does not have yoghurt, cheese, butter etc.

Before he had the sickness bug he was fine, had no problems with any food, I had been using cows milk in cooking etc, he was on SMA from around 5months, and as I said hes been fine, it was only when he had this bug and didn't get over it GP recommended a change in diet for 6 wks, taking us to just a bit short of 10months when we reintroduced the cooked milk in the breadstick.

When we changed his diet the D&V stopped completely within about 10days, and if im honest there was a massive improvement in just a few days.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 20:49:21 pm »
Was he on a normal formula up until 7.5 months? Did he show any signs of being MPI then? I find it a bit odd to react so violently to a tiny amount of milk product like that now?

As far as I understand it that you can become lactose intolerant after a D&V bug - albeit temporaily I thought. Maybe it is that rather then MPI.  ???