Author Topic: Stomach grumbling when eating  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Jaxsta81

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Stomach grumbling when eating
« on: May 24, 2012, 09:19:20 am »
Hi all,

Recently noticed with my 4 wk old that when he feeds his stomach is gurgling. This mostly happens at the beginning of the feed and I'm assuming it's because air is being gulped down along with the milk.

He is suffering from wind quite a bit too and it does wake him in the night.

Could this be because he's hungry so he's gulping it down too quickly or is the teat either too fat or too slow? Also do you think the position he feeds in will make much difference?

Thinking if buying Dr Brown otters as heard good things about the-currently using tommee tipped bottles.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Stomach grumbling when eating
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 15:57:39 pm »
How often are you feeding him? Are you following his cues or the time?

What flow teat is he on and what formula? Does he have any reflux?

Laura

Offline SleeplessDave

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 21:51:41 pm »
I signed up here to post in this thread, as myself and my (equally sleepless) wife are having real troubles with our 5 week old daughter. Often, but not always, she squirms and jumps into a rigid positions while feeding. She gargles and sometimes looks like she's choking. We've tried Advent bottles with the level 1 teat and now have been using Dr Browns also with L1 teats. It did get a little better, but now it's back with a vengeance. Sometimes she will get sick, most of the time she just screams in pain and gets herself inconsolable. Several visits to the doctors and midwifes have proven fruitless, it seems like everything baby related is 99% guess work. The latest guess is reflux. We now give her Infacol and Zantac and have switched from Aptimol to Nanny Care goats milk formula, which has made little to no difference IMHO

My next plan of attack is slow flow teats. I plan on getting a pack of Advent slowflows (Dr Browns slow teats don't fit on their standard bottle GRRR, buy some more bottles, naturally  ::)). Advent teats seem to fit on Dr Browns bottles. I will post my findings

Good luck OP, you are not alone

Edit: Ours has bad wind problems, she is very hard to wind, sometimes we can't get a single burp up and all the faffing about just annoys her even more. She also has seemingly painful farts too  :(
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 21:56:22 pm by SleeplessDave »

Offline Lolly

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 07:26:53 am »
Welcome to the boards!

It does sound like it could be reflux - what dose of zantac is she on? The other thing is she could be suffering from milk protien intolerance which can present as reflux - all the wind problems are very common with it too. What are her nappies like, any mucous? If it is milk protien intolerance the goat's milk formula won't be helping as the protiens are very similar, she would need a hypoallergenic or elemental formula.

Laura

Offline SleeplessDave

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 07:37:17 am »
Hi Laura,

A day has passed and it's like someone has lifted the cloud. I'm tapping the wood table as I type because it is very early days. Our little lady has been as good as gold all day yesterday (small crying fit at 7 am yesterday), she even slept from 12 midnight to 4.30am and then til 7am this morning, which is unheard of :p It might not sound much of an achievement but it means both me and my wife have had 6+ hours of sleep! \o/

We have been trying without much success until now to follow EASY, I am not sure what instigated the change. There is too many variables

We have been using Zantac @ 2.5ml 3 times daily for a week
We swapped to Nanny Care goats milk formula, on advice from a family friend (we didn't suspect milk allergy anyway) just over a week
Nappies have always been good, poo nearly every day (mustard) but lately there has been a bit of firmer bits, which seem quite uncomfortable to pass
We used slow flow teats yesterday, it takes about 15 minutes to get her 30ml between burps. She is taking between 50ml and 90ml in a sitting, we let her decide when to stop
We have been heating bottles where possible in warm water before feeds
We have been more on the ball to get her ready before she cries

It could all be chance and the pains and crying for hours could return at anytime but yesterday and through the night/this morning have been like heaven. She awoke this morning chattering to herself, a far greater range of sounds than we have heard before. I listened for about 30 minutes and cried a little :P (manly joy tears you understand)

I hope you are making progress OP? I think the most important one of the above has been getting the bottle to her lips before the crying, maybe the warmth helps too?? I wish I knew

Sorry for the long posts, I am not good at explaining
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:39:27 am by SleeplessDave »

Offline Lolly

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:16:49 am »
What strength is the zantac you are using? If it's the usual 150mg per 10ml that's a huge dose for a 5 week old baby :-\ The usual dose range is 2-4mg per kg x 2 per day but for babies under 6 months some Drs will only prescribe 1-3mg per kg. It can take up to 2 weeks for zantac to take effect so I don't think you'd really know in a week if it was helping or not.

I'm glad you had a better day yesteday - hope it continues!

Have you spoken to her Dr about the goat's milk formula? I looked into it for my DS when he was tiny and suffering with reflux but I discovered that it's not meant to be on sale in the EU as it's not as nutritionally complete as cow's milk formula and because children who have MPI are highly likely to react to goat's milk too.

Laura

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 13:34:54 pm »
If it's the usual 150mg per 10ml that's a huge dose for a 5 week old baby

I was going to say the same thing, my DS is 20 pounds and 6 months, and he's on 2.7 ml twice a day (max dose)
Elise