Author Topic: Feed volume has dropped, how to increase?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Sweetpeajanet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Feed volume has dropped, how to increase?
« on: May 26, 2012, 11:11:27 am »
Hello,
My LO is nearly 7 months old. We've always had issues with her feeding on and off with her reflux. So wasn't sure if I should post there or here. At the moment I'm struggling to get past 80 mls, 100 if I'm lucky. She seems happy besides that so I don't think it's the reflux. Could it be teething? She is having 3 meals a day. She is also having problems with bowel movements and have started her on some coloxly drops but I can't see why that would affect her milk consumption. She is on Neocate LCP.

Thanks!!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Feed volume has dropped, how to increase?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 18:18:28 pm »
How much is she eating at each meal? Are you offering milk before solids? If she is dropping her milk then you may have to scale the solids right back until she picks up again, 3 meals may be too much for her at the moment.

Laura

Offline Sweetpeajanet

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 07:50:03 am »
Hello,

Thanks for replying! Yes I have come to the same conclusion myself. I am giving less solids at each meal, she will just keep on eating then not have enough at her milk feeds. I usually do milk first, solids then the rest of the milk again. She is having 80-100 mls per feed. She's always been difficult to feed but I would think 150-200mls is a good target for her?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 08:16:32 am »
I would make sure you do the whole milkfeed first and the solids about an hour after the milk if that's not what you are doing! The idea is that they don't decrease their milk intake until closer to 1 but their solids increase as they get hungrier after their milk.

At 7 months the majority of babies seem to be taking between 24oz and 32oz with solids (720ml - 960ml) so you wouldn't want her intake much below the lowest amount really.

Laura