Author Topic: Stopping dreamfeed for 9 month old  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Bellesmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 26, 2012, 19:14:03 pm »
My LO has just turned 9 months. She still has a dreamfeed at 11pm, which I feel is beginning to disrupt her sleep. She wakes up between 3 - 5am and I do wonder if this is because of a very wet nappy from drinking too much at nighttime. She doesn't wake up at 11pm, so I guess we are also disrupting her sleep cycle? I haven't gone cold turkey, in case this disrupts her sleep pattern even further. Although she is on 3 meals a day, we don't seem to be progressing on quantity per meal, which again is probably through filling up on too much milk.

I have read other posts and I am keen to try reducing the milk by 1oz every few days. Should I also be adjusting the times to meet the 7pm feed (DF at 11pm at the moment) or just keep reducing the amount of milk offered at 11pm?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Stopping dreamfeed for 9 month old
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 17:40:23 pm »
Sorry for not getting to this sooner!

Tracy suggests dropping an oz every 3 days and bringing it earlier too so you are readjusting the feed their body would expect at a certain time. You could also just stop giving it to her and see what happens! Which do you think would suit her better?

Laura

Offline vadensmommy

• Showing Appreciation 61
  • Sweet girl!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:11:44 am »
That's exactly what we did - If dd was eating 5oz at the DF at 11pm, I would offer 4oz at 10:30pm for 3 days, then 3oz at 10pm for 3 days, then 2oz at 9:30 for 3 days, then 1oz at 9pm for 3 days, then nothing at all.  It worked like a dream, and DD never knew the difference.  I was so scared that going cold turkey would increase NW's.  I think it also helps give baby the opportunity to slooooowwwllly increase those daytime calories while decreasing the night ones.  Good luck!

Offline Bellesmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 07:51:51 am »
Thank you so much for the advice. I read in Tracey's book about reducing by 1oz every few nights, but was unsure about adjusting times as well because of LO's age. I will do both as you have suggested and see what happens! LO is waking at 5.30am as it is no matter how much she drinks at 11pm. I am hoping this is a phase....

I don't think I am brave enough to go cold turkey in case it kicks off NWs again  :-\ However, the last couple of nights, LO has only taken 4oz at the 11pm bottle, even though we have put 6oz in the bottle. Tonight I will put 5 oz in, just so I can keep a track of reducing the oz gradually. Fingers crossed.....

Offline vadensmommy

• Showing Appreciation 61
  • Sweet girl!
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 19:58:39 pm »
Fingers crossed for you!  Keep us updated on the progress!