Author Topic: Milk volumes and starting solids  (Read 1525 times)

Offline babymunkey

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • Helen.....call me H
Milk volumes and starting solids
« on: May 28, 2012, 13:38:30 pm »
B is loving her food - almost everything we've tried so far she's loved and will happily eat a while cube (Annabel Karmel size) if I let her at breakfast lunch and tea.

But recently she's been down on milk vol, sometimes only wanting 100ml, so I'm wondering if I should reign her in a little. We don't do all 3 meals every day, mostly 2 a day depending on how things work in our day. It's been unusually warm here though so also wondering if she just doesn't fancy warm milk.

I know there's a sticky somewhere that gives milk volumes, will have a look. She flips between 7 and 8 oz per feed - although last night she had a cube of dinner, then an 8oz BT bottle then decided she still wanted more!!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 13:40:18 pm »
How many oz is she getting in a day since shes cut back a bit?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Milk volumes and starting solids
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 20:51:33 pm »
She def needs her liquids in this heat so if after checking the sticky she isn't getting enough I woud cut back her food.

Offline babymunkey

• Helen.....call me H
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 21:04:44 pm »
I reckon on a "bad" day she's taking in about about 800ml, on a good day probably 1000ml.

Of course having posted, tonight she had her afternoon milk at 4.30, woofed down 220 ml, had "tea" at 6 (cube of sweet potatoe) and then downed 9oz at BT.....

I am offering her water with her solids as well, but have to limit her or she'd woof it like milk.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 21:09:24 pm »
By my maths 800ml is about 26oz which is a fair amount but you wouldn't want her dropping below that really. They say the minimum they need is 20oz (600ml) from 6 months but most babies seem to take between 24oz and 32oz (720ml - 960ml) so really she is doing fine at the moment!

Definitly offer water in this weather though... while it lasts ;)

Laura

Offline babymunkey

• Helen.....call me H
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 21:10:40 pm »
Hahah -just checked the sticky - seems little miss Piggy is fine and even on a bad day taking in plenty, so I'll stop stressing!!

On that basis should we steam ahead with solids as long as she's enjoying it - bless her tonight when she saw her pot I feed her from she got all excited the way she does for a bottle - little eyes light up, arms and legs go 10 to the dozen and beams and squeaks like a wild thing!!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 21:27:55 pm »
I'd say as long as it doesn't drop anymore I'd steam ahead.  With DD1 she ate huge amount of solids and milk stayed pretty much the same so I never worried. with DD2 she cut way way back on her milk and i had to stop solids at 7-8 months for a few weeks to get her back on track.  I'd say as long as you are doing milk first, solids a while after so there is still a good break until next milk feed then she is doing great!