Author Topic: An article about potential benefits of starting solids at 4 months  (Read 3032 times)

Offline scruffymax

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
http://www.racgp.org.au/afp/201204/201204symon.pdf

I discussed this in a recent post about dummies - seemed more relevant to put it in this forum than in the props forum!

It's just for info - I know there are arguments for waiting until 6 months, this just puts forward some arguments for starting at 4 months and I believe presents it in a rather balanced way.  Hope you find it interesting reading and that it helps you with making your choice of when to start.

Apologies if it's already been brought to this forum.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: An article about potential benefits of starting solids at 4 months
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:06:52 am »
Thanks for posting this. :D
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Rizo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:43:25 am »
So glad to see this as in NZ it is recommended to start solids at NO LATER than 6 months but anytime from 4 months onwards. I started my DS1 at 4 months (after waking twice in night for bottles and not going more than 2 1/2 hours in day after he used to sleep through)

Offline scruffymax

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:54:37 am »
Hmmm yes my LO is 4 months tomorrow and I can't see her going on 4 hour EASY anytime soon!  Well, not 4 hours between feeds anyway  :)  Maybe solids will help - I bought my first packet of rice cereal today and we're hoping to try it for the first time on the weekend (so Daddy can be part of the fun!)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:03:14 am »
Thanks for posting.  I'd read similar.  i think the main research shows the BF and early solids is fine.  Here they are not recommending earlier weaning for FF babies.

I think though the readiness factors for solids are more important than age or at the very least need to be considered.  So able to sit self up for certain time unaided, no tongue thrust reflex, interest in food, developing pincer grasp etc.

I know my DD1 had all the signs at 5 months that she was ready for solids but DD2 was definately later than that.  So i would like to see how this new research incorporates the readiness advice. 

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 19:25:23 pm »
I agree with shiv, they are still all different, and the signs given to you - by them is the est indicator they are ready along with obviously an appropriate age.

We're in NZ too Rizo :) Plunket seem pretty keen to encourage 6 months for weaning - unless you get the old karatane nurses lol.
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 00:52:48 am »
i think the main research shows the BF and early solids is fine.  Here they are not recommending earlier weaning for FF babies.

interesting... here I've been told by our doctor that FF babies should be introduced to solids between 4-6 months (closer to 4 than 6 though), but that BF babies should be closer to 6 months. funny how the recommendations are different in every country ;)
Elise

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 06:41:39 am »
Yeah, recent research showed that BF alongside introduction of solids had benefits in preventing food allergy which might be why 4-6 months for BF.  Also with FF, there is iron fortification so the nutrition from food isn't as important.

I took part in a twitter discussion recently on weaning and even though 'official' advice in the UK is 6 months with a reluctant "ok, if you must but not before 17 weeks", most dieticians in the discussion were advocating starting weaning between 4 and 6 months.

I think one thing which is worth mentioning is many kids do have growth spurts at 4 months and it is very hard keeping up with that as a BF mother.  Some kids get past it, by 19 weeks, my son's growth spurt was still going so I started solids.  It didn't make a difference immediately but by giving solids as well it did give me the confidence to do PUPD.  Had I not done that, I would have been giving formula so it's an interesting argument.

Interesting article.  Thanks for posting it.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Rizo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 08:36:46 am »
Haha yes ZacsMumme you are right the old karitane nurses are a bit funny!!!

Interesting and reassuring to read all these comments. Thanks for the post

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 09:42:48 am »
Yeah, recent research showed that BF alongside introduction of solids had benefits in preventing food allergy which might be why 4-6 months for BF.  Also with FF, there is iron fortification so the nutrition from food isn't as important

I think in line with this research they recommend the earlier weaning and BFing as they think the immunological benefits of BFing will have protected and built up the gut in babies and so they will be able to manage solids with less ill effects.  I guess this is in line with the 'virgin gut' theory. 

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 11:25:01 am »
I think in line with this research they recommend the earlier weaning and BFing as they think the immunological benefits of BFing will have protected and built up the gut in babies and so they will be able to manage solids with less ill effects.

Makes total sense to me! Not sure why the recs are different here though  :-\
Elise

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 07:07:01 am »
One thing that one of the dietitians said was why do we accept that other developmental stages will be child dependent but are rigid on weaning?

All in all though, moving the target to 6 months has probably been a good thing as it's discouraged weaning at 8-12 weeks which used to be common.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/