Author Topic: how far do i push things?  (Read 1989 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
how far do i push things?
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:51:57 am »
So my little guy is 12 months- and has started to of course show his little personality and independance! Now- one of the curent points of discussion we have is over the bib- if it's on or off for meals. So today he's trying to take his bib off part way through breakfast.... now generally we need to wear a bib while eating. So i say 'bib on to eat' and guide it out of his hand and offer him more food. He;s still interested in eating- he's not consistent with that being a sign to stop eating. So i've now done this a few times and he;s cried at the injustice of it all- and i've said he's a good boy for keeping it on etc... so that part makes sense... Now when i think he;s finished i'm saying something like 'oh- you're finished- let's take the bib off now because we're finished... blah blah blah',,,

the thing is- if he then wants some more food i'm happy for him to have more- BUT i think he;s way too young for the whole 'no- you took your bib off- you're finished- no more food'.. and i also then can't always be bothered fighting to get the bib back on again- as in 'bib on for food'... BUT i don't want to be inconsistent...

Sorry- that was really long... does it make sense?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
Re: how far do i push things?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:03:22 am »
Yeah, makes sense. I just did away with the bib :P

How did H get to be one? He's always been younger than Logan so I just never thought he'd turn one, yk ::) ::)

I do a different, more snacky food and usually take L outside so he's not associating it as a table food without whatever it is we're working on - like sitting on the chair for eating rather than standing at the table and begging like a dog :P I tend to do snacks on the run and meals at the table so I'm not fighting about eating at the table all day, for his sake and mine.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:14:46 am »
LOL! Yes- he's one! YEah.. i sometimes do without the bib- and that's why i'm not wanting to push it to much.. but the bib is good to catch stuff that he then will eat later... (later on in the meal- i don't serve it at the next meal...)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:47:41 am »
How about "bib on or shirt off"? Cleaner shirt either way! LOL

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:33:23 am »
How about he always has to wear a bib when he's at the table? That way if he has finished but changes his mind then he can have a more snacky thing away from the highchair that he doesn't need a bib for, but there is a consistent rule about wearing it for meals.

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 12:05:51 pm »
Man oh man - I gave up on the bib ages ago. I just thought to myself - is this really important? How important is it in the scheme of things that he wears a bib? and I decided it really wasn't that big a deal for me at all...so, no bib here. BUT - DS is a rather neat eater which makes a difference I'm sure.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 21:15:31 pm »
DS has become a much less messy eater since we ditched the bib - doesn't like being cleaned up :P