Author Topic: growth spurts + NWs  (Read 2864 times)

Offline nona

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
« on: May 29, 2012, 20:48:37 pm »
This has to do with NWs but it is more of a breastfeeding issue so this is why i'm posting here.

so DD WAS sleeping great at night - basically STTN. She was sleeping from 8- 2 (or 430) most nights. It was GREAT. Last couple of weeks she is now waking twice a night.ugh.  She empties my boob but we usually fall asleep before I could switch her to the other one. I don't think she would take it anyway.  ( I"m feeling spoiled as my DS did not sleep this long of stretch for a really long time and did not STTN until 8 months. I am a much more pleasant mom/wife with only one NW.)

The time is pretty erratic when she awakes and first NW is anywhere from 1230-2. I tried to use a paci for both NWS and it may give me 30-60 min more minutes.

This past weekend she woke twice Friday night (traveled all day in car and had a very long nap in car > 3.5 hrs in car but didn't want to wake her bc make trip too long KWIM), then Saturday we were out all day & she had bad naps & was a bear and extremely fussy.  I finally got her down at 630 for bed and she slept until 430am, Sunday she had a picture perfect 3 hr EASY and of course woke twice in the MOTN. She woke really early at 1230 and can't remember the next one.

So I don't really get it when she can sleep for long stretches but then wakes up twice to feed.  ???

That said, I was reading in BWSAYP and Tracy discuses this situation. So it sounds like a growth spurt?  Her recommendation is to increase supply during the day by pumping after nursing and then topping your baby off during the next feed. First of all, does anyone do this/have done this? Secondly, I don't think she would nurse or take the bottle. I do my best to get her to take both breast but she will get mad if I"m forcing her KWIM so she usually doesn't nurse that long on breast #2.  Thirdly, I don't really have time to pump after but I could try. Occasionally, I will do a EAEASY to get her to eat more but not sure I want to do that all the time. NOt always feasible.

She has a lot going on for a baby LOL. She will roll over tummy to back occasionally and is trying to roll back to tummy. She is becoming more social (lots of smiles and starting to giggle/laugh). 

So just curious if I should try to pump to top her off or just wait it out?
heather

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: growth spurts + NWs
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 01:27:45 am »
I know that some people have used to pump/top off approach from the book, but quite honestly I never even tried it.  Mine were all extremely bottle averse (to put it mildly) so that would have been more trouble than it was worth.  I have always waited it out with some more frequent feeding at night and it has passed.  And with James especially, when I tried to put him off with the paci (well, he never really took it, but if I could rock him back to sleep sometimes) he would just wake up again a short time later and I ended up feeding -- but if I fed to start with I'd get another decent stretch out of him.

Offline nona

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 02:18:37 am »
I'm lucky as dd will def take a bottle but I think she wld refuse if not hungry.
heather

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 19:12:46 pm »
I've not done the pump/top up thing either.  3m is a prime time for a GS though, so could well be that.  Hopefully once it has passed things will settle down a bit until the next one at around 4m (although some people find they kind of run together).
*** Amanda ***

Offline nona

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 01:58:52 am »
Lol that's a long month....

Last night up twice then up for good at 6 am which has never happened before!! She was a bear this morning from being OT. Hope tonight is better!!!
heather

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 19:15:20 pm »
it sure is!!
hope tonight is better for you :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline nona

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 01:09:40 am »
It was a weird night. She had a blow out lol not fun. Woke once but woke really early. I'm putting her down at 730 these days.

Sometimes she is not a good nurser before bed???
heather

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 19:14:12 pm »
Supply is naturally lower in the evening, but contains lovely (apparently) sleep-inducing properties :)  Could she be getting a bit frustrated if supply has slowed down then, perhaps?
*** Amanda ***

Offline nona

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 19:32:25 pm »
Yes I think she does and she gets annoyed when I don't let down fast enough too at other times. I have a strong let down so she is used to that at other times.

I think I may start trying very hard to nurse her from both sides in the MOTN.
heather

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 19:34:32 pm »
It's worth a go.  I always tried to stay single sided, but realised it was just foolishness before BT as she just wanted more so switched to double sided and still do that now
*** Amanda ***

Offline kelleynmaggie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Sweet Maggie Maurene
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 19:14:43 pm »
Hi! Just wondering if things are looking better for you as far as NW goes? My dd is 14.5 weeks and is doing something similar. She used to sleep great- from 7:00 pm to 7:00 am with one feeding at about 3:00. Last night she woke 4 times!! I need to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel! Did your daughter go back to longer nights?

Offline nona

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 22:54:29 pm »
Occasionally. It doesn't make sense. Tbh, when she has horrible naps during the day (eg are running errands, etc) she will sleep very long stretches. When naps are good, more NWs!! Yesterday had a good nap day & she work at 1245 (earliest time in weeks)...

So I dunno what to think...
heather

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 18:00:06 pm »
I swear these babies are sent to confuse us! :-*
*** Amanda ***

Offline nona

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 22:01:17 pm »
I'm giving up ???

Last might my theory didn't hold :(

Oh well i am sorta on vacation so will try to relax this week
heather

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 01:42:18 am »
I'm giving up ???

Last might my theory didn't hold :(

I'm sure it's because you posted about it.  ::)