Author Topic: 10wk old DD with very strong suck - makes "click" noises  (Read 2139 times)

Offline vadensmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
  • Sweet girl!
10wk old DD with very strong suck - makes "click" noises
« on: May 30, 2012, 01:27:11 am »
Alice is 10wks old, and I think she's got a touch of reflux.  We swapped her formula about a month ago to a store version of Enfamil AR - added rice.  I bumped up her nipple size to a #2 as the #1 would get clogged, and took forever for a feeding- we are using Dr. Brown's bottles.  She was doing really great.  Well, our store has quit selling the store brand of Enfamil AR, so we opted to try Enfamil Gentlease.  With the thinner formula, we are back to a few problems I didn't even realize we were having before!  DD has a very very strong suck, and makes a clicking noise which I think is her sucking so hard that she takes in air, and then you hear her gulping it down.  I burp her every ounce, and she's currently taking around 4.5-5oz/feeding.  She has a LOT of gas.  She also has been very wiggly during feeds since the change, and I think she's having a hard time, and will almost fight me with the bottle, but is still clearly hungry. I am seriously considering going back to the AR formula, even if we have to special order it, or just pay more for the name brand.  The only other option I can see is if there is a thickener that is safe for babies to use in the US?  I haven't had the chance to call my pediatrician about it.  Just curious to see what y'all think/recommend??

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 10wk old DD with very strong suck - makes "click" noises
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 08:45:01 am »
I would go back to the AR formula. Did you price the Enfamil AR? I didn't have to pay for it but I did price it incase I did and it was actually slightly cheaper than the brand DD was already on.

There are thickeners available in the US - I believe Simply Thick is one. It seems common for paeds to suggest adding rice to thicken formula in the US, it's never suggested in the UK as it's a choking hazard and the rice cereal is really not good for reluxers!

The clicking could be a strong suck it is also a sign of tongue tie in some babies - has she been checked for that?

Laura

Offline vadensmommy

• Showing Appreciation 61
  • Sweet girl!
Re: 10wk old DD with very strong suck - makes "click" noises
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 02:12:00 am »
The Enfamil AR is about $8/can more than the store brand was.  Ick!  Might just have to do it though.  I have wondered about TT.  I read a lot of the posts re: it last night, and a lot of it souds VERY familiar.  I tried to nurse, and Alice has a very strong suck, but it was a painful latch.  I just assumed I didn't make enough, and that still might have been the case, but it is an interesting theory.  I can't get a good look at her tongue without making her super mad, plus I'm not sure I would know it if I saw it, iykwim?  I'll definately talk with the dr about it. 

I also really think that reflux is rearing it's head now that she's back on the thinner formula.  I plan on calling the pediatrician and seeing if we can get meds.  I am more and more convinced this is giving us issues in the sleeping department as well. 

I can order the store brand formula online, and have it shipped to the house for free!  yay! So I'm gonna order some tonight!!  Thanks for the thoughts!