Author Topic: Baby smoothies?  (Read 1328 times)

Offline MakingMischief

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Mom to Colin,
« on: May 31, 2012, 02:31:40 am »
Hi everyone!

I haven't seen anything about this anywhere else (which may mean I'm way off base :) ) but I was wondering if anyone had given their LO a "baby smoothie" made with breast milk or formula?

I was talking with one of the preschool teachers who said that most of the babies in her family started on a little stage 1 baby food (the pureed fruits/veggies) between 3 and 4 months old. I want to make sure that Colin is given a wide range of foods from a young age before he gets those preconceived notions that vegetables are icky or anything like that; however 3-4 months seems sort of early.

At the same time, he has been awfully hungry lately (he just went through a growth spurt), but since I'm at work I have a hard time keeping up with him. He can always get more formula but I have kind of a  :-\ feeling about that. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be more beneficial for him to get some of those extra calories from fruits/veggies.

I'm wondering if it would be OK to blend a little bit of fruits or veggies with the occasional bottle? I'm talking like one strawberry or a few banana slices per 5-oz bottle. Just enough to thicken it a bit and help fill him up without making it really thick, if that makes sense. He's also been sick quite a bit lately as he's started preschool, and I'm wondering if a little extra vitamin C wouldn't help.

I'm just speculating here, I won't do anything until the ped gives it the OK. But has anyone heard of anything like that?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Baby smoothies?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 20:36:21 pm »
How old is you LO now? There is a HUGH growth spurt at around 4 months and he needs the extra calories from milk to get thim through that. 3-4 months is WAY too early IMHO to start on solid foods. Fruit and veg give little in the way of extra calories really.

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Baby smoothies?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 21:22:35 pm »
Breastmilk contains far more in the way of nutrients/fats/calories/vitamins/minerals than a tiny amount of fruit/veg.  Add to that the antibodies and there's little need to be adding in anything in the way of supplements at this early stage.  The best medicine for his colds from nursery is BF.
*** Amanda ***