Author Topic: 13 mo. Tummy or teeth? Allergy or intolerance? Pain related refusal or dislike?  (Read 9908 times)

Offline clazzat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 286
I do think that this is prime pickiness age, and in the absence of other concerns about his development I wouldn't stress hugely about his weight - x has dropped off his curve again, and I remember m falling off her curve at this point when she lost 2 pounds because she refused to eat. I don't know if his medical issues make things different, but I would be inclined to stay pretty firm on mealtimes, let him have healthy snacks as you see fit and sit tight and wait for it to pass.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
^^^^ This.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
I don't know if his medical issues make things different, but I would be inclined to stay pretty firm on mealtimes, let him have healthy snacks as you see fit and sit tight and wait for it to pass.

I try to do this at home. It is very hard with all the screaming and screaming. But overall, at home I am much more strict. It is quite difficult when we are out. At the beach, a birthday party, someone else's house. Of course, it being summer, we are doing these things more often. He sees other people eating food and wants it, tries it, spits it. Ends up those days he doesn't eat much OR he finds a way to get junk, either from grabbing off of tables or what other kids have abandoned. It's much harder with him being quite a mobile little climber!!!

In regard to his growth curve. Yes, he's fallen a few times. I wasn't too concerned about the first drop. I used the babycenter.com percentile calculator but he went from somewhere in the 50-75% at birth down to the 25-50% range around 1 month. That seemed normal to me. Then he dropped again to 10-25% range around 4 months. Again, probably no big deal. But then he dropped at 12 months down to the 5-10% range. I'm not sure exactly, but I am also concerned his height is dropping off as well. I have to look into that as I don't have the most current lengths listed and will have to get a copy of his whole growth chart from the pediatrician.

I found a site that plots your baby's growth chart and did one for both DD and DS. They were born at a similar birth weight in that DD was 8 lb. 15 oz. but born on her due date and DS at 8 lb. 7 oz. born at 39 weeks. DD did drop off her curve but nearer to that 9 month-12 month range when she started walking.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
hmmm, that is a little concerning to me too hun...

Offline ~*Nicole*~

hmmm, that is a little concerning to me too hun...

Yeah, it just doesn't sit right with me. :(

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
I try to do this at home. It is very hard with all the screaming and screaming. But overall, at home I am much more strict. It is quite difficult when we are out. At the beach, a birthday party, someone else's house. Of course, it being summer, we are doing these things more often. He sees other people eating food and wants it, tries it, spits it. Ends up those days he doesn't eat much OR he finds a way to get junk, either from grabbing off of tables or what other kids have abandoned.
James doesn't even climb, and I'm finding this right now too.  It's so easy at home, but we've been traveling too and I'm finding that I just have to do my best to try to find him something healthy to eat.  Do you think he'd eat from one of those pouches -- James will eat those pretty readily but he's still ok with spoon feeding -- but if L will just suck it out of the pouch maybe that would work??

Offline clazzat

I do end up falling back on the pouches when I need x to eat as he will scarf them down in no time!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

Pouches? You mean purees? He was spitting them, too.

Offline clazzat

Do you not have something like this over there?
http://www.ellaskitchen.co.uk/ellas_range/stage-2-baby-food/

Offline ~*Nicole*~

I've never purchased them but the site says they have them at Target and Shoprite which are both easily accessible to me. The only food sort of like this that I tried in the past was the little containers of "toddler" meals made my other baby food companies. Like this: http://www.beechnut.com/Our%20Baby%20Food/product.asp?P=38886&Category=2&SearchValue=70&SearchVals=&ListValue=2&SearchType=By%20Product%20Type&ProdType=

Although I sought out brands/varieties that did not have dairy/soy in them (which was quite limited). He didn't like them at the time, but it couldn't hurt to try them again and in that squeezable version he may prefer the "do it yourself"ness of it!

:)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
I still keep pouches around too... tough I do supervise A as she likes to squish said pouches!

Offline clazzat

I think x likes being able to do it himself, so it might work. There are a few brands that do pouches over here, and there are loads which are just fruit and/or veg rather than full meals so they can be quite a good supplement.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Nicole, I meant the pouch things that the other ladies referenced.  I use then when we travel and I need to get some "real" food in him.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

Well I actually did go out to the store. Only found fruit/veggie ones...none of the more "meal" type ones with chicken, etc. I'll see how he takes to the fruit ones for breakfast. If he likes them perhaps I'll try ordering a couple of the other varieties from somewhere.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
I only have the fruit and veggie ones too... I have bought some with brown rice too though...