Author Topic: 17 month old issues  (Read 5190 times)

Offline mjohnson33

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 19:16:54 pm »
Yes, he did have a 3 hour nap and then went to bed last night at 8:45.  He woke again this morning at 7am though.  So thats less sleep at night...

I was trying to get him to just take one nap today but he fell asleep on the way home from the gym at 10:30 and I let him sleep in the car for 45 minutes....I just put him down for his 2nd nap so he doesnt sleep too late this afternoon....(2:15 here)

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
Re: 17 month old issues
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 21:11:20 pm »
Yes, he did have a 3 hour nap and then went to bed last night at 8:45.  He woke again this morning at 7am though.  So thats less sleep at night.
Ah I see.  Yes that is a short night for him.  Probably why he fell asleep this morning.  I'm afraid at 15-16 months (my DS was fully on 1 nap at 15 months) I had to wave bye-bye to naps any longer than  2hrs naps because that's what would happen in our house too.  I know you're not a fan of capping naps but it really does help to stabilise the routine.  I would suggest allowing no more than 2.5hrs initially, as he's still in the early stages of transitioning, but you may need to limit that to 2hrs max if nights remain short when you do a long nap.  I would still try & aim for a consistent nap time of around 5-5.5hrs from waking though, I think that will likely get you the best result.

HTH.x

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 21:18:07 pm »
Hey hun! 

So great to see you here again!  Cole is a strapping wee man! 

How are his constipation issues?  Think that could be playing up at all?

I think it might be teeth from the sounds of it... DD often does the same thing... short naps for a few days, rough nights with EW...then a monster nap... lots of waking screaming as well as being very restless when put down for the night.  Does he have his first year molars/canines?

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 21:41:20 pm »
Hi Kara!!

Thank you!!  He does have all of his molars, those came in last month.  Canines...top ones are in, those popped about a week ago...He still needs the bottom ones.

As far as his pooper goes, its doing really well, we have some days he doesnt go much and others he goes all day long.  I ever took him to the pedi to be safe, he felt his belly said it was soft and checked his ears.  :(

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 21:46:27 pm »
Clairebear, I thought we had it cracked but he just wasnt getting better at night.....so maybe I will try what you sugguesting, putting him down a little earlier.  I am sure he will be able to handle that with the sitter too.  NOrmally he wouldnt sleep 3 hours....the past week or so he has been waking at 2 or before for naps.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 03:53:47 am »
Cole has passed Alexandra in the teething department - he is ahead by 2 canines!

I would bet my life you have hit the 18 month sleep regression :)  There is a support thread that is quite active right now - jump in!

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 17:33:27 pm »
He slept all night again!!!
Here was yesterday
up 7
nap in car 10:30-11:15
nap 2:30-5:15
BT 8:50 right out
and slept all night in his crib!!

Up at 8 today!!! WOW!!!

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 14:21:58 pm »
So last night was night 3 of STTN!!!
Here was yesterday....no day has been the same....only difference is daddy hasnt been home before bed the last 3 nights...could that be it??
8am up
1pm-2:30pm nap
5-5:45 car nap(on accident)
BT 9pm, right to sleep.

Slept all night in his crib and woke at 7:15 this morning!!! :)

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 20:48:11 pm »
Glad he's sleeping through hun.  He'd probably got a bit OT & 1 long nap plus 2x 2 nap days may have helped him catch up.

His night is pretty short with the 2 naps though hun, that was only 10hrs last night.  Great that he STTN, but my only worry is the night is so short he will struggle to last the distance til naptime.  then you get caught back in the trap of needing 2 naps because his night was short, but because he had 2 naps he will do another short night IYSWIM?

I'd just try & be as consistent as you can, it will take him a wee bit of time to get used to the 1 nap, & offering 2 naps to keep ontop of OT is totally fine - I did it too.  But you just need to be aware of what I mentioned above, as he catches up, b.c its easy to get caught.  He is also heading right for some major developmental leaps, big WW at 17 months & the 18 month regression, so you might have a few bumps & blips over the next month or 2 with those.

Hang in there!x

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 21:17:41 pm »
I agree with Claire - great that he STTN, but it was only a 10 hr 15 min night... that isn't really sustainable at this age unless you can get 3 hrs or more of naps a day...

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 21:29:36 pm »
So you dont think his dad being gone had anything to do with it?? Normally its very hard to wind him down at night after bath....and without his dad being there it is alot easier.  Even though I tell him not to rough house or anything, seems like Cole is more wired when he is there.

Here is the problem I am running into...he is falling asleep in the car when we are running errands after only 3 hours A time and thats hard to avoid...he seems fine when we leave and then on the way back falls asleep. :(

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 21:34:20 pm »
For sure his dad not being home would be part of it - same thing happens here!  Regardless of what they are doing with LO, their presence gets the kids all wired!

Falling asleep in the car after a short A time is common when you are only having short nights ;)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 21:45:52 pm »
Ok, thanks Kara.  I told DH to stay downstairs after bath time tonight to see if we can get another good night.  IF it doesnt help then I know thats not it.... :)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 21:47:17 pm »
Part of it I bet!

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 21:51:29 pm »
It really hurt his feelings when I asked him to.  But until Cole can get on a better schedule we need to exhaust all options.....its been a long 17 months....and how many times has he gotten up with him??? NONE!!! :(