Author Topic: 8 months - how much milk?  (Read 1479 times)

Offline lu-c-lu

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
8 months - how much milk?
« on: June 03, 2012, 15:38:50 pm »
Hi

I am considering dropping one of my sons day milk feeds, we have successfully gone cold turkey on the dream feed at about 6 1/2 months and he now has the following

7am - milk 5 -7 oz
8 ish - breakfast - half a weetabix or oatibix
11am milk 7oz
12.30 - lunch either a mushy meal or soft finger food (doesn't always take usually equivalent of a small 4 month jar) but getting better
3pm - milk 5 -7 oz
5pm - tea hot mush of what we r having or a elle kitchen meal if its not suitable
7pm - 7oz

I don't think he needs his 3pm feed and think I will drop it like I did the dream feed, I guess I should give him a snack instead? Can anyone advise is 8months a good time to do this and also when does he replace the 11am feed with a snack? This is baby number two but I am surprised how much I have forgotten!

Thanks in advance for any replies

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 8 months - how much milk?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 15:54:13 pm »
You don't want his overall intake to drop yet and most people drop to 3 bottles in order to increase the overall amount because the amount in the mid morning and afternoon bottles has decreased.

When we dropped to 3 bottles we did wake up and bedtime bottle and then a bottle after lunch just before the afternoon nap, that pattern seems to work well for a lot of babies.

Will he increase his bottle size so he is taking 8/9oz per feed? If not I would keep the bottles as they are for another month or two as milk is still his main source of nutrition for a while yet. The WHO suggests 4 bottles until about 10 months too.

Laura

Offline lu-c-lu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 17:40:58 pm »
Thanks Laura, I think I will keep it the same, what confused me was on the packaging it says 3 feeds of 7oz between 7 - 12 months (aptimal) & also a friend was told that at 8 months they should be on 16 - 20 oz & josh has about 28 so I figured dropping one. I don't think he will take more in one feed at the moment as he doesn't always take a full feed (I always offer 7 but he some times is happy with 5) he is doing well with weaning now so may be I will wait another month before reducing

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 17:48:42 pm »
The MINIMUM they need is 20oz but most babies seem to be on 24-32oz with solids so I don't think he's having too much milk by any means! I think you are right to leave things as they are for another month or so - especially if things are going well!

Laura

Offline Kyaggi

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 14:27:17 pm »
I was just wondering this myself. We have almost the exact schedule as you most days and her 3pm feed seems to be so low sometimes only 2-3 ounces. Her morning and 11am feeds are about 5-6 too and her night is 7oz. I just didn't know if she would be soo hungry until bedtime so I have still given her the bottle in the afternoon just to get her through. I will probably wait too and see if she drops it on her own. That is just a long time to go without a bottle for her so maybe I can try to push her 11 am feed to 12 or like she said before the afternoon nap is such a good idea!

Offline lu-c-lu

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 21:25:49 pm »
I'm sure with my daughter we went cold turkey as she would just eat anything we gave her! I think that she was more advanced on solids as we replaced it with snacks.  Today my son didn't take any lunch so I am glad he had his bottle as a snack in the afternoon wouldn't have been enough.... Hopefully he will reduce his in take like your little one and I can drop it naturally :-)