Author Topic: Finger Foods-8 mnths HELP  (Read 1726 times)

Offline ChicStylishMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Finger Foods-8 mnths HELP
« on: June 05, 2012, 13:33:36 pm »
L/O will be 8 mnths in 6 days a he currently eats 3 x day solids and his 4 milk feedings of 8 oz. Ive been giving him Gerber puffs(star shaped small puffs that dissolve) baby mum mums and yogurt drops he does a pretty good job picking them up and does the chewing motion. Ive made all his food homemade and pureed since 6 mnths and now want to start giving him finger foods. Does anyone know of a list for his age? Can I give full fat yogurt mixed with egg yolk and cottage cheese? Also some say you can give small cut up cheeses-how small should the cubes be and what kind of cheeses? Sorry this is my first baby and Im so nervous about giving him the wrong thing! When shold I offer these should I not do a solid feed and give these or try them throughout the day?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Finger Foods-8 mnths HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 17:57:31 pm »
HI,

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=70142.0

Here is a list of finger food suggestions, also check out the BLW chat thread as there will be loads of ideas there!

Can I give full fat yogurt mixed with egg yolk and cottage cheese?

Never heard of this combo! If it is cooked yolk then yes! Don't see why not. Has he had egg before?

I reckon finger sized sticks of cheese? then he can suck/bite on them? Notr sure though as Olly never had cheese.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 20:55:36 pm »
This thread should be useful
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=95978.0
and this one
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=178221.0

As LOs can have finger foods from age 6 months try not to worry too much.  You can offer something that you are having for your own meal, they like to see that they are getting the same as mummy.  It's up to you how and when to offer the finger foods.  You could offer them at a normal solids meal time and if you wanted have a puree ready for after the finger food has been tried.  Or you could continue to offer the puree/mashed/lumpy food at the regular times and offer finer foods when you have a meal as an 'extra'.
There isn't much an 8 month old can't have, avoid the normal things like salt, sugar, honey, and choke-hazard size/shapes (like whole grapes, cherry toms, whole nuts).  I adapted my cooking so that meals were suitable for LO, larger chunks of vegetables, no salt, so we could eat the same.  If you worry about the size I always considered bigger to be safer.  With a finger sized, or wedge sized food LO can easily grasp part of it and keep hold whilst they munch on the other end, they are aware when some comes off in their mouth.  I always felt I'd rather my LO had his mouth around a (large) plastic plate than a (small) plastic button iyswim.
Finger sized cheese is good, or you can grate it (at 8 months LO likely has a developed pincer grip and would like to practice that), or grill it on toast or in a pitta bread and slice into 'soldiers'/fingers.
One of the tips on those links is to use up puree you have already made (if you batch cooked and froze stuff) by using it as a sauce for pasta or a spread for sandwiches/toast.  For pasta sprali or twists are easier to grip for a beginner.
To get started maybe try some toast with butter, or some oven baked sweet potato wedges?

Offline ChicStylishMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 13:03:57 pm »
HI,

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=70142.0

Here is a list of finger food suggestions, also check out the BLW chat thread as there will be loads of ideas there!

Can I give full fat yogurt mixed with egg yolk and cottage cheese?

Never heard of this combo! If it is cooked yolk then yes! Don't see why not. Has he had egg before?

Yes it would be egg yolk from a hard boiled egg..He has not had egg before

I reckon finger sized sticks of cheese? then he can suck/bite on them? Notr sure though as Olly never had cheese.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 16:32:36 pm »
Well IMHO (with an LO with an egg allergy!) fully cooked egg yolk is the best way to introduce egg as it is normally less allergenic than the white so give it a go!