Author Topic: Growth spurt or bad habit?  (Read 795 times)

Offline kelleynmaggie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Sweet Maggie Maurene
Growth spurt or bad habit?
« on: June 06, 2012, 14:45:17 pm »
I'm so confused. My dd is 14.5 weeks.  At 8 weeks, she was sleeping 8 hour stretches. Since 12 weeks, it has gotten progressively worse. Now she is waking 3-4 times a night. Last night she went down at 7:15, woke at 10:30, 2:00, 4:30, and 6:00. She seems hungry so I'm feeding her, but I don't want to create a bad habit. I've been reading about growth spurts and it seems like growth spurt behavior except she is not eating more frequently during the day. Also, this has been going on for nearly a week! I'm exhausted.

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: Growth spurt or bad habit?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 03:40:56 am »
Hi Kelley,
Sorry it took a little while to get to your post. :-[ If it seems like she's hungry I'd go ahead and feed her for now, but that does seem a bit long for a growth spurt. How are you feeding her, BF or FF? Have you tried to offer another feed sometime during the day, maybe as a cluster feed in the evening before bed to see if that makes her go any longer at night? Since this started at 8 wks, but has gone downhill since, it might have started as a growth spurt, but now is a routine issue (i.e. she was ready for a routine change after the growth spurt). Can you post your EASY for us to take a look at? Maybe there's a tweak to make to help her sleep a bit longer for you.

Offline kelleynmaggie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Sweet Maggie Maurene
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 23:35:04 pm »
Hi,
Thank you so much for getting back to me.
The night waking hasn't been since 8 weeks- it started about a week ago.  I just feel like her best night sleep was between 8-12 weeks.  From then, it has gone downhill.
I am very, very confused about what to do.  I feel a bit frozen as I have been reading and reading trying to figure it all out and I think I have overwhelmed myself.  Undertired, overtired, growth spurt, props, bad habits, ARGGGHHH!  Ok... sorry for the vent. 

So she is now 15 weeks old, but she was three weeks early so she is developmentally more like a 12 week old.

A typical day looks like this:
Wake and eat: 6:30am
Activity: 6:45am
Sleep: 8:00am  (Will sleep soundly for 45 minutes and I can usually extend the nap to 1.5 hours)
Eat: 9:25am
Activity: 9:40am
Sleep: 10:45am (This nap is much harder to extend.  Sometimes, I just can't get her to stay down for another 45 minutes and this is where the day takes a turn.)
E: 12:20 am
Activity: 12:45
Sleep: 1:40 (This nap is nearly impossible to extend.  I try very hard to shush/pat, but she just won't sleep more)
Activity: 2:30
Eat: 3:20
Today, after this 3:20 feed, she fell right back asleep, so I let her sleep.  I figured that she needed it. 

And this is how the day will progress. The morning goes well, the afternoon and night goes all crazy. I still try to get her in bed for the night by 7:00pm no matter what.

Last night, she woke at 10:30, 1:30, and 4:15 before finally getting up at 6:30.  Each waking, my husband tried to shush/pat to get her back to sleep.  After about 10 minutes, when it was obvious that she just wasn't going to settle without being fed, I went in to feed her. She is exclusively BF.

I have read many times that 45 min naps mean UT, but she seems overtired to me if I try to extend her A time. 
I'm so confused.  Is this just normal 3 month old behavior/development? Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 03:14:13 am »
Since kelleynmaggie has a similar thread going on General Sleep, we will lock this one in an effort to keep all advice in one place. Please visit here if you would like to help: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=231624.0