Author Topic: 4 hour EASY - trying to fit in 5 feeds - any ideas?  (Read 2318 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
4 hour EASY - trying to fit in 5 feeds - any ideas?
« on: June 06, 2012, 15:11:58 pm »
DS will be 6 months tomorrow.  He has reflux but it is controlled at the moment.  He currently has 1 NF (which I'm hoping to phase out soon), then a feed at 5:30, then he usually goes back to sleep until close to 7. BT is 7 PM.

I'm trying to fit in 5 feeds during the day, I kind of have to because of the 5:30 feeds. In 4 feeds, he would not be getting what he needs during the day anyway so it would not help with phasing out the NF.

What I've been doing is this:

NF - sometime between 11:30 and 1:30 usually
5:30 - small feed 4 oz unless he skipped the NF then usually 6 oz or so.
8:30-9:00
12:00-1:00
I try to avoid having a feed at 5 because then he will not take a proper feed at BT so usually 3:00-3:30
6:30

Thing is, I'm scared I'm getting him into a snacking habit and also maybe if I would stretch out his feeds more, he'd take better feeds and not need a NF at night? But I'm not sure how to do that?

I though of trying:

5:30 small feed
7:30-8 top up feed
11:30 (on wake up to get a true EASY)
3:30 (on wake up to get a true EASY)
6:30

But I'm really not sure he's going to take anything at the 7:30 feed. Also he needs to take his reflux meds on an empty stomach so usually I would give it around 7:30 and then he can eat at 8 but that would put the other feeds too late.

WDYT?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 13:32:37 pm by *Elise* »
Elise

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: 4 hour EASY - trying to fit in 5 feeds - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 03:16:50 am »
Popped this over to bottle feeding  :-*

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 20:38:48 pm »
What about getting rid of the 5.30 feed first? Would that be possible?

How has your day been today?

Laura

Offline ENMS

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 01:02:27 am »
What about getting rid of the 5.30 feed first? Would that be possible?

Well I've kind of created it in the past month or so... DS was waking at 5:30 and was not going back to sleep, and if I fed him, he'd go back until 7. So maybe not the best idea but I really needed my sleep.  Curiously though the last 2 nights he didn't wake at 5:30. 2 nights ago he had a NF at 1:30 and then woke at 6:50, then last night he had two NF, 11:30 and 3:30 - he woke for the day at 6:15  ::)

Today was awful. I don't know what is up with him.  Teeth  ??? Reflux  ??? Snacking habit  ???

So after those 2 NF (3 oz at 11:30 since I'm trying to phase out this first NF, and 5 oz at 3:30), he took 3 oz at 7:30, 5 oz at 10, 5 oz at 1:50, 3 oz at 5 (he wouldn't stop crying so I tried a feed in case that was the issue), and 5 oz at BT.  For a total of 28, much less than his usual 35.

What I,ve tried to do is give him a top up feed 30 minutes after his meds, and then feed when he wakes from his naps. It's been working ok except that his routine has been a bit all over the place for the past 2-3 days so I'm stuck with a feed around 5PM. But it hasn't been too bad because he's accepted another feed at BT.

WDYT? How can I get this to be better? What about getting 3-5 oz per feed? He's 6 months and 20 pounds, no solids yet.  Sounds little to me.  Usually when his reflux is controlled he STTN. I'm so confused now, I litterally do not know what is up with him!
Elise

Offline Lolly

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 09:27:45 am »
You haven't started solids yet right? I wonder if that may be what he needs, I know with my DD her paed was alwys trying to get me to cut down her milk and increase solids - he was right, less milk in her tummy sloshing around did make her more comfortable and more able to eat better.

Laura

Offline ENMS

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 12:09:26 pm »
No, we haven't, well, we've tried many times, but he has digestive problems when we do so we've had to stop. We've been referred to a paed GI, in the meantime we've started probiotics and will try again next week after we have his allergy testing. 

The good news is he STTN 2 nights ago :) and then he took much better feeds throughout the day - but then he didn't STTN last night.  I really feel like he doesn't need that feed and that it screws up all of his feeds in the day. But until he's on solids or taking in more quantities of formula in the day, I'm not sure I want to fully remove it just in case he would need it, yk.
Elise

Offline Lolly

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 12:15:38 pm »
If he can STTN and then eats better in the day I think that's telling you something really. Many babies STTN before solids are introduced so it's not that they need to be on solids before they drop the NF.

I would work on stopping all nightfeeds to be honest - the fact that he ate better in the day without it shows you that it is having an impact on his day feeds so you won't really improve those before you take the NF away.

Laura

Offline ENMS

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 13:15:07 pm »
It's a mystery why sometimes he STTN and sometimes he doesn't (other than for longer periods when I know his reflux is controlled or not and that is the issue).

I'll give it 2 more days to see how he feeds with the new routine of a top up in the AM and then a true EASY feeding when he wakes. He's limited at 3 oz anyways as I have been decreasing the size of the MOTN bottle for a few days already.

The other thing is that I am stretching him to an A time of 3h. If he naps for 1.5h, that makes it 4.5h between feeds. Is that ok?
Elise

Offline chesterella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 11:26:32 am »
Hello I saw this thread and the situation pretty much mirrored mine two months ago so I thought I would chime in and see if I could help :)
My LO had the exact reflux issues as yours. He is now almost 8 months now but the first 6 months were a trainwreck! He also had the same feed times as well, NF at 1ish and another at 5:30ish, I was also confused on how to iron things out but here is what I did.
I took him to see a gastro and he put him on Prevacid which worked wonders. The Zantac did nothing, but the Prevacid certainly helped. I also started feeding him solids and, same as you, he had intolerances and I stopped, but I still continued his rice cereal with pear juice. It was very gentle and did not bother him at all. He ate this at breakfast and dinner times (along with a bottle) and had a bottle for lunch. Now he eats pears, carrots, apples, bananas, and sweet potato just fine and has them at 7:30am, 12, 4:30. This is always followed by a bottle. Also, try cutting his bottle back by .5oz, this really helped him too.
When he was still waking for his 1am and 5:30am bottles I would give him full bottles. But eventually I had to cut out the 5:30am bottle. Do this first. I know that sleep is important, trust me I lose my mind without it, but if he wakes at 5:30 leave him in his crib unless he starts crying. My LO learned to either play by himself or nod back off to sleep. Do you use a paci? I like to surround him with them incase he wakes and wants to go back to sleep and needs a little help. So, he may wake earlier but this will change soon.
 The most important factor in him getting a good nights sleep is controlling the reflux. Nothing can really change if he is uncomfortable. This is something I was forced to learn. I was always trying to implement EASY and getting frustrated that nothing was going right. Once he started sitting up all the time, his reflux was much better.
My LO also did the phantom SSTN! Once every couple of weeks he would and it was incredible. But, the rest of the time, I kid you not, he was up ALL NIGHT EVERY 45 MINUTES with reflux issues.
I think he is too young for a 3hr A time unless he is almost there already. My LO is not up to 3 hours of A time yet and I am still struggling with dropping the catnap.
Once the 5:30am feeding is out of the way, he starts eating some solids, starts sitting up a bunch more and the reflux is under control, I think he will start sleeping right past that 1am bottle. It wasn't until a couple weeks ago that my LO stopped that feeding. We only gave it too him if he woke for it. If he keeps waking looking for that bottle, I would say give it to him. But try to settle him first and see if that works.
I hope this helps!

Offline ENMS

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 23:42:03 pm »
Thank you Chesterella! :)

In the last few days, DS has been waking up a bit later than usual and so skipping the 5:30 feed! But because I am phasing out the earlier NF, if / when he wakes I think I'll continue feeding him because I don't want to do too many things at the same time, kwim? Once the NF is fully phased out, we'll deal with this one.  Why did you cut the 5:30AM one first, instead of the NF?

His reflux is ok, it never bothers him at night anyway. When he has a flare up he'll feed less during the day so he feeds more at night, but NF are always 5 minutes, then back to sleep. He's on Nexium and Zantac at the moment.  For now we've stopped solids because nothing was working out, we're meeting the allergist tomorrow, we'll see what she has to say and decide what to do next. I'd be more than happy if he could tolerate just one food yk? I don't mind taking it really slow with other foods, I'd just like him to be able to eat every day. But we have to take our time to make sure it hoes well!

He was pretty much ready for the 3h A time, he was short napping on earlier A times. We're not fully there yet but I think within a few days / weeks he'll be consistently hitting 3h of A.

Also this week I find he feeds much better, I don't know if it's because we're really trying to do EASY by giving him a top up feeding in the AM and then feeding after his naps, but cross my fingers that it continues! :)
Elise

Offline chesterella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 13:37:21 pm »
Hi again! Thats great! I'm glad he's doing better.
I cut out the 5:30 feeding first because I felt the NF should get him through til the morning. I thought the it just made more sense to feed him in the middle of the night if he needed than to feed him at 5:30am and then 7:30am when he got up for the day. I like to start EASY at the same time every day, regardless of his waivering wake up time. So if he wakes at 6, I let him play and babble in his crib until 6:30-6:45 and then get him up and feed him at 7.