Author Topic: going dairy free with 3.5 year old - any tips??  (Read 5357 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
going dairy free with 3.5 year old - any tips??
« on: June 06, 2012, 18:16:22 pm »
I took H for testing today and it seems he does have a dairy intolerance which I always suspected.

We are taking him off dairy for 6 weeks to see how things go.

So....they suggested rice milk to me...is that a good one? I was thinking of almond milk but don't know much about it. I need a yoghurt alternative as H loves them and cheese too. I am worried about hidden dairy but guess I just have to read labels more...

I will have a look in the supermarkets but just wanted to see what others have done.

thanks

bx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline rach321

• Showing Appreciation 29
  • My monkey boys.
Re: going dairy free with 3.5 year old - any tips??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 18:26:03 pm »
We use coconut milk - rice milk just looks watery but I've also tried soya, almond and hemp - luckily my guy will drink them all.   For yoghurt we just use soya.  You can get dairy free ice cream (swedish glace) in tesco and sainsburys without too much bother. I'm always really suprised at what isn't dairy free - pomm bear crisps for example - but that would be if he was allergic rather than intolerant - I think its down to where they manufacture them. We don't tend to eat a lot of cheese so never really had much of an issue there.  For stuff like pizza we just make our own.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 18:30:24 pm »
I was told no rice milk under 5 is the newest recommendation as the arsenic content isn't safe so I would go with almond or coconut+ milk.  The soy alpro yogurts are meant to be nice.

I found cooking from scratch initially the best way to avoid hidden dairy until I got used to the diet and what we could/couldn't have.  R can tolerate hidden dairy but we had to eliminate it all initially and then trial very  slowly. 

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 18:41:33 pm »
We went dairy (and gluten and egg) free starting a few months ago with my DS --also intolerant.  Unfortunately, he won't really drink any of the alternatives (he LOVED milk), but I think it's because I started out with one he didn't like so now he doesn't really want to have it at all.  I originally tried the vanilla almond milk because I thought the sweetness would help the transition, but it was too sweet for him ::).  The other day I tried coconut milk and surprisingly he seemed to like it.  Hasn't had any since, but I'll keep trying.  Rice milk was really watery and he literally opened his mouth to let it all fall out instead of even swallowing lol.

We use Daiya brand cheese here -- he really loves it.  It also melts nicely.  It comes in a big block or in shreds and in different flavors.

For ice cream, he's starting to like Rice Dream.

For yogurt, he really likes the So Delicious Greek Style Coconut Milk yogurt.  It has a good amount of calcium in it -- that's the other thing -- when you buy your milk, some of them add calcium and some don't, I try to get the brands that have more calcium. 

In cooking, I used coconut butter (Earth Balance brand).

If you feel like you need to add more calcium into his diet, if he likes OJ many of the brands have added calcium.  Additionally, blackberries are a source of calcium. 

Good luck!!   
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 19:07:45 pm »
can you find most of these in supermarkets?? will have a look tomorrow.

do any of you give calcium supplements?
thanks x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 21:42:14 pm »
Hi

Yes, Olly has a calcium supplement on prescription.

Guess he can have soy? The dietician recommends soy milk (we are on oat) as contains most fats. There are fab soy yoghurts and desserts - available everywhere - even in my Co-op down the road! You can get soy and oat cream too.

You can get dairy free marg in most shops too.

Cheese is going to be the worst one tbh  :P

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 18:42:46 pm »
how did they test for dairy intolerance Becky?  With E being MSPI I am pretty sure looking back that B was too when he was a baby. He *always* has excema and I do wonder if he still has issues with dairy and would like to find out for sure  :-\.
Claire x

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 18:46:19 pm »
I had to arrange it myself claire as the Dr would never have done anything - too mild. With everything going on I just felt I needed to see someone so we saw a kinesiologist and they do muscle testing. I am going to do it for about 6 weeks and see. If there is no improvement then we will just go back to the dairy.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 13:24:46 pm »
so I have got almond milk and alpro yoghurts (although he does not like them).
I managed to find a dairy free spread in place of butter and picked up some other stuff i.e. ice cream but cheese is tricky. I bought sheeps cheese in the end as thought that was better than not having an alternative. Going to check the health food store sometime this week.

My question was - what is the deal with soya? Is it ok for them? I thought it was quite sugary??

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 16:42:12 pm »
A large percentage of kids with dairy intolerance also have an intolerance to soy.  So if you can, steer away from soy for those 6 weeks to get a true picture.  

This link has good info Becky:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=210586.0
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 16:44:35 pm by All4Finn »
The tweaking never stops!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 17:34:50 pm »
My question was - what is the deal with soya? Is it ok for them? I thought it was quite sugary??

Have googled it for you...

Per 100ml

Alpro soy -
Carbohydrate - 2.7g
sugar 2.7g lactose 0g

Full fat cows milk-
Carbohydrate - 4.7g
sugar 4.7g

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 08:32:34 am »
it turns out he cannot have almond milk at nursery as they have a no nut policy (as we turn up today). I actually think that is taking it a bit far seeing as he would have it on his own in a sealed cup but that is the rule. So I guess i try soya - he won't drink that I don't think and will be upset he cannot have his milk. He never has it at home but at nursery he does like to.
I hope he is ok, I was so pleased he liked it and was so excited to show everyone :(

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 12:14:56 pm »
have you tried oat milk Becky?  that would be a good alternative -  I would be cautious of introducing lots of soy into his diet at this point  :-\.  
Claire x

Offline babybarr

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 12:18:52 pm »
We give O oatmilk.  His paed said that was the best alternative to soy or dairy.  You can get it in pretty much all supermarkets.
LAURA xx

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 12:19:28 pm »
Hemp milk is quite a good alternative as well - our Sainsburys has it in the uht milk section. We are doing well with sheeps cheese, and goats cheese is also an option (although you might want to test that with a very small amount first as some who can't have dairy can't have goat either). If he is alright with goats milk then you can also get goats milk yoghurts.