Author Topic: Sleep and EASY Support for spirited babies  (Read 75963 times)

Offline SukieCat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Support thread for raising spirited babies - part 9
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2012, 01:04:03 am »
roimata - thanks for the reply, but I really think it's more likely that I have low supply, or that LO just doesn't nurse efficiently.  I think a big part of our problem is that he associates nursing more strongly with sleeping than with eating, so he never really eats well, especially if he's tired.  Still trying to figure out a plan to break the nurse-nap cycle that is easiest on both of us.   :-\

Also, I'm still struggling to find any method of settling him.  Today I tried doing a short wind down: lights off, fan on, into sleepy blanket, and he was in his crib.  Then I stood there with a hand on him, trying to be comforting, but he'd just look up at me and smile and kick his legs.  But he was also yawning and eye rubbing so I know he was tired!  If I tried leaving he'd start crabbing until he worked himself into a wail.  How do you think I can best help him if my presence is too exciting and my absence is too distressing?  ???

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2012, 06:18:34 am »
How do you think I can best help him if my presence is too exciting and my absence is too distressing?
Difficult, right? DS was like that around 5months or so... I used to stay there but close my eyes (so no interaction, but still there) and just rest my hand on his chest and sing softly.

Offline roimata9

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2012, 20:30:05 pm »
No worries- you know your body best!
Re the too exciting being there but gets distressed if you leave - I used to find that too! I would lie down on the big boy bed in his room in the dark so he couldn't see me and sing our sleepy time song. Or sit under his hammock and bounce him.
Both ways he knew I was there but couldn't see me to interact.

Offline becj86

« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2012, 23:16:10 pm »
Have you had a look into tongue tie being an issue, SukieCat? That can affect milk transfer and make a LO quite tired as feeding takes so much extra effort than it should.

Offline SukieCat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2012, 03:05:49 am »
Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll have to try eyes closed or being out of sight but singing.

We visited LCs a couple of times early on and they checked him for tongue tie (he's fine).  They were able to measure how much milk he was getting and he was transferring plenty, so I'm not sure what the problem is now.  For some reason he doesn't seem to get enough hindmilk.  The formula supplement is helping him gain weight now, while I'm still mostly nursing, so he's still getting a lot of the benefits that come with BFing plus some extra calories.

Offline roimata9

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2012, 05:13:27 am »
I had the issue with not getting enough hindmilk, so I used to pump before he fed, just for a couple of minutes to get rid of some of the foremilk, so the ratio he'd get would be more hind than fore if that makes sense. That might help perhaps?

Offline becj86

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2012, 09:28:10 am »
For some reason he doesn't seem to get enough hindmilk. 
This is an oversupply issue, but most LC's and doctors will tell you that you have an undersupply til you believe it. You could try block feeding so only one side for a feed and then start with that side for the next feed. Are you switching sides during a feed? If so, what is the sign from LO that you read as time to switch? DS used to clamp down on my nipple at the second letdown every single time, then he'd fuss and wriggle and I thought that meant he was trying to get milk where there was none but actually he was dealing with the additional milk flow and struggling. Once I did block feeding, I was able to downregulate my milk supply and he got more hind milk.

Offline SukieCat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2012, 18:56:34 pm »
I'm not really convinced it's oversupply... I just don't feel like I have that much milk.  When I pump at the end of the day I barely get 2 ounces, total.  I'm afraid to even try block feeding because I've read that it can decrease supply, and I don't want to risk it in case I really do have low supply.  I usually switch sides during a feed.  Most of the time DS falls asleep and then I wake him up and switch him.  Then he falls asleep again so I try to keep him asleep and put him down for a nap.  He tends to be on one side for 10-12 minutes.  Even when I'd wake him up and put him back on the same side, he kind of acted like he was giving up and he wouldn't really try to get more milk. 

I might pop over to the feeding boards to see if I can get some more opinions...

Offline becj86

« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2012, 02:20:01 am »
That'd be a great idea. Pumping's not a great indicator of how much milk you have. xx

Offline :: ANA ::

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Previously n&a's mommy
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2012, 21:32:09 pm »
Hello everyone!
Girls, when did your spirited ones drop the nap (the last one)?
Mine is 15mo and has refused to nap 3 days in a row now...I'm freaking out...he's too young!!!  :o

He had refused to nap before, 2 days max, but then everything went back to "normal"...but now he doesn't seem tired, I leave him in the crib for 45min (after usual wind down) and nothing! he sings, babbles, jumps, bounces against the bars of the crib, sometimes bangs his head against them  :-\
He's been getting early BT these days and he's sleeping well at night so far, but I am not ready to drop the nap! LOL

Has this happened to you?

Thank you!   ;)
Ana

Offline becj86

« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2012, 22:09:13 pm »
Hasn't happened to me, Ana, thank goodness! DS is HSN which makes that crazy spirited thing a bit easier to cope with...

These ladies over here have older spirited children (over a year/18 months) and may be more help to you :)

Offline Tecike

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • My little guys...
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2012, 18:43:13 pm »
Wow Ana! I agree with bec, thank goodness it hasn't happened here, either! DS is 14 mo and still on 2 naps...  like you, I wouldn't be ready for no nap this early!!! Hope you get some useful advice on here! FX for you!

Offline :: ANA ::

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Previously n&a's mommy
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2012, 02:39:29 am »
Now I'm really jealous!  ;)

No nap today either...what am I going to do!?  :-\
Ana

Offline becj86

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2012, 05:23:18 am »
How long a night are you getting, Ana? If you post on Sleeping For Toddlers the mums of LSN children will probably come out of the woodwork to support you, or I know of a few I could PM to pop onto your thread if you didn't get many responses. Most of us (with napping kids :P ) would be a bit clueless, unfortunately but I know of a few mums around that have really LSN kids.

Offline Melsie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2012, 13:57:49 pm »
I have been posting lots of questions on this site but this place looks like the place I need to be posting them.  Please help me .... My spirited LO will only fall asleep being rocked in my arms and then I have to sit down ever so slowly and hold her throughout her whole nap. She wakes and gets OT if I don't do this. I have ensured she doesn't get OS through A time, I have tried low key wind down and I am only trying to put her to sleep next to me on a bed, not even in her cot at this stage. She cries and squirms so much I don't think she can even hear my sh pat! I just end up reverting to the only thing that will get her to sleep because when she is OT she is even more difficult to deal with? Also, is it wise to wake a spirited baby or just let them get the sleep they need even if it moves your EASY about?