Author Topic: Ketchup/Dips - Too much of a good thing  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Ketchup/Dips - Too much of a good thing
« on: June 09, 2012, 08:47:43 am »
Wondering if anyone has BTDT...
DS loves to dip his food, pretty much in anything (HP Sauce, Ketchup, Dressing, BBQ sauce...).  I try to keep dips as a back-up plan if he doesn't like a meal or isn't eating too much, so I do try to encourage meals as much as possible without the dips, but as needed the dips come out of the fridge.
Wondering when/if there is too much of letting him enjoy the "dipping"?  Anyone let their LOs have lots of dips and then have it back fire and their LOs suddenly don't want the dips and also the food?

I know, it is a little bit of a silly question, but wondering none the less...
-Nadia

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Ketchup/Dips - Too much of a good thing
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 21:12:45 pm »
Not BTDT because my DS is much younger, but I do let him have a teaspoon of sauce for certain things to be dipped in.

Just an idea - you could make your own healthier versions?  Tom purée with some balsamic vinegar added as a ketchup or pureed vegetables 'thinned' with oil.  At least then you wouldn't mind how much dip he had?  Could be heading down a path you wouldn't want to be on though :/

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 21:48:03 pm »
i wouldn't worry about it!
heather

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 06:58:04 am »
I've been kind of wondering the same thing, but had pretty much decided not to worry about it :)

DS was poorly recently and wasn't eating (or drinking :( ) anything. Dipping really helped him to eat again, even though it's not something he's been bothered by in the past. He's never been a great eater and is even skinnier now after being ill, so I am using dips, like you, as a last resort if he isn't keen on what we're eating.

I think as long as you try to keep the dips as healthy as possible, and that he's not needing to dip *everything* then I can't see an issue with it really.

In our house, dipping is helping to get him to eat things that he wouldn't normally eat - meaning he's actually getting a more healthy and varied diet :)
Catherine x

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 18:46:06 pm »
My son is a non dipper!  I haven't offered them all that often though so maybe that's why?  Also he hates having messy hands!  I'd just keep an eye on sugar and salt and chose low sugar and salt versions where you can.

I remember going to France as a 15 year old and them bringing out a good 10 different bottled condiments with every meal!  It's not just us!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 19:58:46 pm »
Colin wouldn't eat meat at all as a toddler unless there was "dip-dip" as he called it. Now he hardly ever dips anything, he doesn't even think about it. It's one of those phases I think - their tastes change so much as they grow.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline speechie

• Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 20:10:32 pm »
Dip away I say! I still love dips.
Nick loves ranch dressing, ketchup, hummus, baba ganoush, etc.
That is how he eats his raw veggies, so I don't mind...
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 05:45:41 am »
Thanks for the thoughts ladies!!
I definitely will try not to stress too much about it, but try to make the dipping as healthy as possible and to make sure that he isnt dipping everything.
He ate a chicken drumstick for the first time this evening, but required some "dip" to get it into his mouth. So I guess I will focus on the positive :)
-Nadia

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 16:00:52 pm »
Yeah, there's too much worrying with toddler food IMO.  I love the sound of giving kids baba ganoush!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/