Author Topic: Throwing on the floor  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Maxdrewe

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Throwing on the floor
« on: June 09, 2012, 16:34:57 pm »
Hi there

My toddler is 13 months and has a habit of throwing finger food on the floor without even trying it- any advice??
Clare, Mummy to Max xxxx

Offline Maxdrewe

• Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Throwing on the floor
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 16:37:32 pm »
+ any tips for making a suction mat stay on a table?
Clare, Mummy to Max xxxx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 21:08:55 pm »
It can help if you are eating the exact same food at the same time so he can see you eating it.  Even take a piece of his bite a piece off, make a 'yum' sound and offering it back (without forcing the issue).  I found with DS (BLW from 5.5 months so it was all finger food from day 1) that he has phases of being unsure about what he is offered as though maybe it isn't edible.  I act like the king's jester and test it for poison to show him it is good food and then he tries it.  I have always eaten the same things he is offered and notice he inspects my plate to be sure we have the same, again it is like he is checking it is edible.
Otherwise, I would ignore anything that makes it to the floor and don't clear up until after the meal (or it will become a drop pick up game) and try to intercept the dropping by catching his hand or the food and thanking him for 'clearing up'.  Offer the same food a few days or a week later and he might one day try it (or if he shows an interest in what you are eating later in the meal offer a piece from your plate).
I always make meals that include something I know DS likes alongside new foods that he may or may not try the first time he sees them.

No advice for the suction mat, I stopped using ours after a few weeks and moved to a plate instead (non suction).  With a plate I could remove ALL the food in one go if dropping became an issue, then just offer one piece at a time from the plate and again use the plate to 'catch' anything before it is dropped...this way you get to praise desirable behaviour of clearing up rather than have to deal with the undesirable behaviour of dropping iyswim.

hope something there might be helpful.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 18:42:51 pm »
I can't offer anything more apart from to say my son was the same but repeated telling him it wasn't the thing to do and asking whether he was finished seems to have made him (mostly) grow out of it.  Even at 25 months though he has his moments.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/