Author Topic: Gro-clock/lights on timer: success stories and support here! #2  (Read 194801 times)

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Gro-clock/lights on timer: success stories and support here! #2
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 06:23:21 am »
Oh dear I hope some of the experienced mamas will head over from the old thread to help me :)

The clock is set to 7.30 today (7mins time) so we shall see if it wakes him.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 13:01:41 pm »
How did it go?
Barbara

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 17:43:55 pm »
He woke at 7.37 so not sure really.

Offline confusedmummy

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 20:23:55 pm »
Hello, I'm quite nervous to post on here as I only got my DS's (he's 33 months old) gro clock 4 days ago, and I really don't want to jiinx it, but here's our story. We have been having many EWs at like 5.30 or even earlier and he'd always get out of bed and come to our room. If I took him back he'd fuss and usually end up not sleeping again, but sometimes if he came in with us he'd sleep till 6.30/7am if lucky, but sometimes would just mess about and be awake for day.

Anyhoo, the first night of clock I set for 6am which only gave him a 10hr night, but I did not want to make it unrealistic so he wouldn't be able to stay till the sun came out. I explained the clock to him and he seemed very excited. He woke at 5ish but did not get out of bed, I went and tucked him in and told him I'd see him when the sun came up, and he went back to sleep, at 6.15 he came into my room, and said I did it mummy, I praised him and he was so happy. The second night I moved to 6.15 and had similar success, the third night we were away from home and he stayed in his nanna's room, which he has never done before. I took the clock and left it at 6.15. He still woke at 5 but she managed to get him to go back to sleep till 6.20 so again he did it. Tonight I have moved another 10 mins to 6.25 this will be tougher as he fell asleep sooner than I thought he would and it means 11hrs in bed, which on a nap day is generally never achieved, I'm just hoping the praise he gets means he will at least stay in bed if not asleep. But the gro clock is my new best friend, I love it.

I think the key to success is to be realistic then slowly move to an ideal time, it makes them realise they can do it :-D x

Offline confusedmummy

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 18:13:09 pm »
Quick update on my DS, we are now on day 7 and the night before i must of accidentally set the daytime sleep, because my DS woke at 5.50am and was still in his bed talking and singing at 7.30am. I thought it really strange as clock should have been set for 6.25am and he's never ever stayed content on his own for so long.

At 7.30 he started calling out for me and when i went in he sadly said he didn't want to stay in bed anymore. I was about to say the sun was out and he didn't have to when i noticed the star. Bless his little cottons he was so sweet, i turned star off and gave him a big hug. At least for now the clock is working :-D

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 21:23:24 pm »
So glad it is working for you.

We are setting the clock for 7.30 now. which is great because he is going back to sleep when he wakes at 5.15 or so and sleeping right past the sun up time. Yesterday it was 7.45 and today 8.25. He is nap dropping though so catching up over night.

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 13:00:02 pm »
For those still reading with older kids, at what age did the clock stop working?  Finn came out this morning insisting 'I'm not tired anymore' which is complete nonsense since he barely scraped 11 hrs last night after a full 10 hr day of summer camp and gymnastics for an hour after school.  I'm worried it's losing it's lustre...
The tweaking never stops!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 19:47:35 pm »
Hello, my first time on this thread :)

I've been trying out lights on a timer for a little while.  Somewhat inconsistently because DS was poorly and when he woke at 4.30/5.00 poorly or with teething pain and I couldn't resettle him within a short time I just got him up.  Even so I think there is a little success.
Before trying the timer lights I had some success with staying in his room with him and telling him it was night time and sleepy time until it hit 6am, I had to hold him quite a bit though.  After about 3 days he started sleeping until 6am but then reverted back to EW because he was ill.  I can't really try this again now because I've hurt both my wrists (maybe RSI from holding him SO much when he was ill, I'm seeing a doc about it) and I wouldn't be able to commit to holding him for the hour or so to keep us both in his room until 6am.
I now have the light set at 6am.  He is still waking around 5am but will try to self settle, possibly nod off I'm not sure because I daren't go in to see if he is asleep in case he isn't.  If he isn't sleeping he is possibly just laying or sitting awake but relaxing (which I suppose is some additional rest) and if I go in I know he will fuss and shout to get up.  I tend to go back to sleep and then he shouts me when the lights come on (or 10 - 20 mins later) and I go to him.
I have a couple of questions please
1. I am now leaving a book for him to read.  If I do this the chances are he will stay in his cot and not shout until the lights come on.  If I don't and he doesn't fall back to sleep he shouts to get up.  Is the book a good idea or not do you think?  I suppose I'm thinking it might be preventing him from going back to sleep because he has the option to read and be stimulated, on the other hand it does give me a bit of extra time in bed which is bliss.  It's barely light in his room but I've heard him turning the pages and cooing at his fav characters so it is certainly keeping him quiet and entertained.  Thoughts?
2. Should I be going in the moment the light goes on to give him a cheery 'good morning' or is it ok to do what I have been which is waiting for him to shout to get up?
3. There was a night when he woke very early, maybe 4am and it took an hour to resettle him.  Then the light woke him at 6am.  At the time I kicked myself for not turning the thing off as he would have slept longer and I felt bad he was woken up.  Do you ever turn the timer off in this situation or just let it continue because the WU time is being habit formed so that it can gradually be moved later?  Hope that question made sense!

He is just approaching 18 months now.  I thought lights coming on would be easier for him to understand than a gro clock at this age, would you agree or should I be buying a clock?

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 10:57:38 am »
Hi Creations,
1. Personally I would not have left a book for H as i know he def would not have gone back to sleep but if it works for you and he is happy to hang out in his cot for longer then it sounds fine.
2. I wait to hear H before I go in even if it is 7am....he does sleep through his clock sometimes (rarely) so I always wait.
3. I have never turned the clock off as it would mean going into his room in the early hours and that is a no no here lol! I have also found it does not wake him up. I position it so it is turned slightly towards the wall and so the light does not shine directly at him.
Hope that helps a bit. xx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 10:58:19 am »
oh...and about the lights v timer. I think a timer is fine. We have the clock and I do absolutely love it but he def should be able to understand the lights too. x

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 06:21:42 am »
Thanks Becky.
The last two days he has stayed asleep until about 5 mins before the lights came on so maybe his body clock is telling him it is almost time.  Or maybe it's just he was totally exhausted so managed to sleep past 5am.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 08:37:26 am »
that is great news :)
It took my DS about 3 months to fully accept the gro-clock. it was not an instant thing but we stilll use it at 3 years 8 months.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 18:35:40 pm »
I was thinking of leaving the lights set for 6am until there was a consistent WU and then moving it on.  Is this right?  Do you think a week or two of consistently waking at 6am we would be ready to move the time on?
When I move it on it'll be 15 mins which is quite a jump I suppose.  I didn't think of that when I bought the timer switch.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 18:50:55 pm »
I just set it for what I thought was a reasonable time to start with. At the beginning he would wake earlier but wait for the light. Now he seems to fall back to sleep.