Author Topic: Gro-clock/lights on timer: success stories and support here! #2  (Read 194779 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Gro-clock/lights on timer: success stories and support here! #2
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2013, 19:39:09 pm »
How do you know it wakes her? Could you angle the clock so that it's not directly facing her?

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2013, 19:41:08 pm »
Could you angle the clock so that it's not directly facing her?
this is what I do and I have also just recently set it for 15 mins later than normal just to be sure ;)

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2013, 19:43:40 pm »
I angle it away from DD as well.  When she wakes up she can still see the yellow light coming from it, so she knows the sun is up, then we turn it when we go in to get her so she gets to say good morning to Mr. Sun :)

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2013, 19:49:03 pm »
thanks ladies, yes I have tried angling it away from her but I should do that every day.  I was concerned that if she couldn't see it properly she would call for us but I guess it's worth a try.

How do you know it wakes her?
I think it wakes her from a light sleep/doze - she calls for us immediately but there's not a peep from her before the sun comes up.  I suppose though that she might already be completely awake though - just lying there quietly but that doesn't sound like something she'd do...  :-\

Yes, you are all right though, on the days when she can stay in bed longer (i.e. we don't have to get up for work), I will just set the time even later and see what happens..  (we always set it for a bit of a lie in on weekends anyway).

Thanks ladies.  On reflection that was a bit of a daft question!
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2013, 19:58:02 pm »
Nah...when you've got a good thing going you don't want to mess it up.  I hear that lol  I would be checking in too!!!  Good luck xo
The tweaking never stops!

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2013, 20:05:38 pm »
I REALLY want to start using the gro-clock for Martha but I want her to get it yk? Henry was 22 months but he was very verbal and had amazing understanding and even with him it took a good 3 months for it to really kick in and work well. I don't want to start this and then battle with it for months. I guess i will wait until she is a bit older, maybe somewhere between 22-24 months? I so want it to be the answer for us and I think if it does not work I will be SO crushed.....17 months of EWings :(
She also still has 8 teeth to get and they are the bruisers so can't expect miracles until they are through.

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2013, 22:06:50 pm »
We started using it at 20 mo and really it took about 10 days for ds to take it. And it is still working! It depends from the child I think...
Barbara

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2013, 23:39:31 pm »
Becky, I started the lights on a timer with DS at under 18 months.  It didn't take all that long for him to 'get it' but I know what you're saying about not wanting to go through months of battles.  I had no choice but to get DS up very early at times, illness and teething, and I had to stop the timed lights then restart when he'd recovered.  He's skipped his nap a couple of times and I've turned the lights off for the following morning in case he needs a longer night (wishful thinking! he is still awake at 5 or 6 fully rested!)
I agree with Barbara that it depends on the child too because DS really does get it but still doesn't sleep or stay quiet until the lights come on even though he knows it's night.  I'm glad of the improvement that we've had in that he expects to wait in the dark for the lights and then he reads for 20-30 mins and then we get up.  It's better than getting up with him right away.  I also don't mind so much him making noise before the lights because he calls for the toilet and I've made a decision over this aspect - that I want him to continue to call out for toilet rather than stay quiet. I think (hope) it will assist us further down the line with dry nights.  So maybe we are not as successful as some, but it still helps.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2013, 12:09:47 pm »
I think we were fortunate in that DS had all his teeth by 22 months and was rarely sick so I was very consistent and that has totally paid off now and he is an angel (touch wood) about waiting for the lights. M still has 8 teeth to go and has constant coughs so I am hesitant as when I do it I want to be pretty consistent yk?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2013, 12:46:26 pm »
If you've doubts Becky I'd wait. Stan was 22 months when we got our first iteration (not a Groclock but a cheap alternative), not particularly advanced verbally or any other way, and he got it within a few nights.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2013, 12:48:24 pm »
yeh, I am thinking maybe to wait until about 22-24 months and tie it in with the clock change etc. I have dealt with EWings for so long, what is another 2-3 months lol!

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2013, 12:42:52 pm »
I need to ask a question.
Now obviously I am hoping that Martha's sleep improves in general before we start using this end May/Beg June time but here is the issue.

H was not a NW'er. I would put him to bed and pretty much he would reliably STTN. Martha is NOT the same. We get a fair few NWINgs and atm every night is grim. So WDYD with this? I was able to be super consistent with H about not going in until the sun came up as worst case scenario he would wake early and then I would stand by the door and tell him I would see him when the sun came up. But what do you do if they have long NWings and you have to go in. How does that work with it all?

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2013, 13:17:55 pm »
Same really.  'Sun isn't up, it's nighttime, go back to sleep'. However if a NW is considerably long and you are not going to be sure of wake time I'd push it out a bit.  Worst case is she wakes a bit before the sun and has to wait for him to come up.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2013, 13:33:14 pm »
I agree.  And you might find that the clock helps with the NWs too if it encourages her to self-settle when the sun isn't up (might depend on cause of NW though).
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2013, 20:19:06 pm »
In some ways I think it helps with nws, as there is a clear visual cue for them as to why you are not taking them out of bed. I have always just settled the nw in the same way as I would if there was no light/clock coming on in the morning.