Author Topic: Gro-clock/lights on timer: success stories and support here! #2  (Read 194802 times)

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Gro-clock/lights on timer: success stories and support here! #2
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2013, 12:50:58 pm »
I see what you mean..  That's a tricky one.

Do you think the positives (sleeping in longer when not teething) could outweigh the negatives (difficult EWs when teething)?  For the whole family I mean.

Maybe, on nights you know she is teething and possible/likely to wake early, you could move clock a bit earlier?  If she sleeps through it, great.  If she wakes early, at least you don't have so long until the sun comes up?
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2013, 12:54:35 pm »
I think you might have to accept that for a few days, H is going to be awake at ridiculous o'clock. You're not going to be able to do this without a lot of crying, I suspect, teething or not. Would he go for the ear defenders, if you told him about it in advance? Or spend the night in your bed with DH, if that is further away/more insulated from noise? I wasn't trying to say that you're looking for excuses - on the contrary I know you're dying to fix this! - just that if we wait for a 'good' time it would probably never come, it's either teething, or a cold, or a bug, or something-or-other. You know?

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2013, 19:26:39 pm »
yes of course, I totally get that Anna. He might wear ear defenders, a year ago no way but he is mellowing ;)
It just feels like his sleep is actually pretty good most of the time so I want to protect it so at least one of my kids sleeps ok!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2013, 19:29:58 pm »
It just feels like his sleep is actually pretty good most of the time so I want to protect it so at least one of my kids sleeps ok!

Oh I get it! But on the positive side, he's old enough that he can understand what 'a few mornings' means and that rules can bend in exceptional circumstances... and should (SHOULD??!!) be able to get back on an even keel again after the disruption.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2013, 19:38:56 pm »
yes sure, well we should do it in a school holiday then really so either Easter (gulp!) or may half term...will talk to DH.

Offline RachandHarry

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2013, 18:13:36 pm »
My son is 15 months old...is it too early to attempt the clock?  He wakes at 5am which is just a bit too early for this household!

Thanks in advance  :)

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2013, 20:35:45 pm »
That is very young I think. I have been using it with my 20mo DS2 and I think he probably only got it in the last couple months. You could certainly introduce it and see. If he doesn't get it now he will eventually.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2013, 18:39:08 pm »
I expect it is a bit too early, really - I think 18 months is about the earliest you can realistically expect them to understand and go back to sleep.  However, I think that you could probably lay some useful groundwork by putting lights on a timer and using key phrases - something like "it's still dark, go back to sleep", "look, the light's on, it's morning" - to introduce the idea to him even if he doesn't fully understand the concept.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2013, 12:18:20 pm »
not sure, but do you think that introducing lights/clock too early could backfire?

eg would you still insist they stay in cot until the sun/lights come up, even if they get very upset and don't fully understand?
If you get them up before the sun/lights, would that set a bad precedent for later?  :-\
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2013, 12:42:11 pm »
You need consistency or it doesn't work - you will undermine the point of it.

FWIW, we started at 18 mths and Finn is 4yo now and still abides by the clock.  Only because he has never ever been allowed out of his room before Mr. Sunshine comes up.  He very rarely goes back to sleep but it has kept him in his room and self-entertaining for 3+ years :)
The tweaking never stops!

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2013, 12:47:28 pm »
FWIW, we started at 18 mths and Finn is 4yo now and still abides by the clock.  Only because he has never ever been allowed out of his room before Mr. Sunshine comes up.  He very rarely goes back to sleep but it has kept him in his room and self-entertaining for 3+ years
same with H...

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2013, 14:08:56 pm »
We introduced it around 24months, once teething was done, because I knew teething ews would ruin everything.  It also coincided with her transition to her bgb so it was the right time for us.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2013, 20:22:08 pm »
I would only use the click if I was planning to have them stay in bed until a certain time anyway. I wouldn't set it for too long after they typically wake to start with either. And I have often sneakily (without them seeing) turned it in early if I felt the need.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2013, 11:11:11 am »
Ok two days in a row kid has woken early (pre 6 am) and gotten pi$$y about the clock taking too long, not being tired, it's light out, blah blah every excuse to leave his room.  Just now he was screaming for his father saying 'my bed is a mess' - Tom is off early picking up some furniture so I went in and helped him fix the bed, tried to turn his light off which he yelled at me for touching and then he kicked me out telling me he's finished sleeping and to go away.  Hrmph.

When did the Gro-clock finally fail?  I'm guessing Anna is going to be the only one who has been down this road...  What did you do?  Did you just let Stan get up and about but told him you were still going to sleep?
The tweaking never stops!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2013, 15:37:46 pm »
We keep reiterating that we look at the clock not the sun to see what time it is. We have debates about bedtime, so in the morning I just repeat the same line. He doesn't have a Groclock any more, but his baby sister does and they share a room ;) He has a digital Yoda clock and knows that he can get up when the first number is 7. I guess if pushed I would let him get up without us, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't and I can't let him play in his room (sharing with baby) so he has to lie down in his bed until morning.