Author Topic: Gro-clock/lights on timer: success stories and support here! #2  (Read 194775 times)

Offline Mattsmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: Gro-clock/lights on timer: success stories and support here! #2
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2013, 17:21:20 pm »
Hello!

My DS is 21 months. We recently went to set BT of 730.  He is still getting up routinely at 530am...almost every day.
I have a timer for the lights but am not sure how to start.
When he wakes up he normally fusses, calls "mommy" and then starts to cry.
He is textbook/spirited

So, if I set the lights for, say, 545 - when he wakes at 530, do I do WI/WO until the lights come on?
What is this just makes it worse for him? Can I stay in the room but leave him in his crib?

He normally STTN and waking pre 5am we are able to settle back down to sleep.
"But the fighter still remains"

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2013, 17:25:37 pm »
So, if I set the lights for, say, 545 - when he wakes at 530, do I do WI/WO until the lights come on?

Yes - you can.  Depending on the temperament of the child.  Isn't always helpful if they get majorly upset and the cortisol starts flowing. 

What is this just makes it worse for him? Can I stay in the room but leave him in his crib?
Yeah, see above.  We found the best result with staying quietly in the room and making a big fuss when the lights came up.  'Oh good morning, sun is up, it's time to wake up and get on with our day!' all smiles and hugs and whatever. 

Whatever you do decide, just be.consistent.  That is the only way this whole scenario works.  If you adapt or change up anything you can set all your hard work back.

The tweaking never stops!

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2013, 18:27:28 pm »
We had the best result with being in the room and making a big fuss when the sun came up as well. I know that some mums struggle because their los want to engage if they are in the room, so in that case wiwo works better.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #93 on: May 17, 2013, 07:25:15 am »
I think as well it depends on how you usually settle LO to sleep. If he is an independent sleeper then wiwo may be appropriate but if he is used to you being there or he falls asleep having milk for example then he will likely need more.
My DS2 is an independent sleeper but we got there by moving away from the cot and outside the closed door doing gradual withdrawal after having done pupd at an earlier age. So that is what I do for any NWs or EWs nowadays. So I go in and ask what he needs in case it is a poo or pain for example. If he asked to get up or just grizzles (as he sometimes does when half asleep) then I say it is still sleepy time as the isn't up. Then I lay him back down and put his bed covers back on, say our sleepy phrase and leave. After that if he calls me or cries and stands I just call our sleepy phrase back through the closed door. If he gets very upset then I go in and repeat the above but otherwise he eventually lays down and goes back to sleep. Since he now knows that is all he gets it is normally enough to lay him back down and tuck him in. As I said though that is how he is used to being settled to sleep when he needs help so it is comforting to him and he knows what he is supposed to do and is used to doing it.
Is your DS having a long nap in the daytime? My LO is the same age and we do a 1.5-2hr15 nap in the day (on a good day where he naps at home) and then he sleeps 7.30pm to anywhere between .20am and 7am (when our sun is set).
Obviously it depends on the child's temperament but I personally wouldn't want to get in the habit of staying in the room waiting for the sun as I can imagine my boys waking up early and not just going back to sleep  because they want to call me to sit in there with them. It may not be an issue for you as it doesn't seem to have been for the pps but my DS1 started waking in the night and wanting me to sit with him while he fell back to sleep which became a prop so I stopped doing it.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2013, 06:37:46 am »
ok I have a question about the time to set the clock.
M wakes anytime from 5.15-6.30am, usually around 5.45-6.15am. What time should I set it for to begin with?

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2013, 07:07:06 am »
I'd probably start with 6.15 and after a week start pushing it by 5 mins until it has reached a time you find acceptable to get up.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2013, 07:08:11 am »
ok thanks Ali...and when she calls me to begin with I can just sit with her until the light comes up? At what point do I not go in i.e. when do you think she 'should' understand the concept?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2013, 07:20:30 am »
Has she just turned 2? I'm am guessing it will take a good week or two. But I never stopped going to mine, I just tell them it is sleepy time and put them back to bed and leave. Then I did WIWO. If you are going to stay with her then I wouldn't do that for too long as she may come to expect it. Perhaps just do that for a few days and then start to put her back to bed and leave? Now they don't cry to get up I just tell them from my bed (shout or over the monitor talk back function) that it is sleepy time and wait for the sun.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2013, 07:27:51 am »
ok thanks. Ben ages since we started with Henry. I will just stay for the first day or two and then like you say tell her it is still sleepy time. I am expecting her to wake Henry which is stressful but better now than when he is starting school in September x

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2013, 18:59:30 pm »
It took 2 days for mine to work out what the light was for at age ~18 months, so I would have thought that she will get the concept pretty quickly. I stayed in the room for 3 mornings, until I was sure that they did understand, and then I did wiwo like Ali. I have never stopped going to them if they call, but now I say "the light's not on, it's not time to get up".

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2013, 19:23:36 pm »
I expect she will know what the light is for very quickly but I was thinking it may take longer before she stops calling you when she wakes and actually tries to wait for it. Or that could just be mine ;D I hope it's going well anyway.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2013, 17:51:39 pm »
I have a thread on the main board - it is the calling out which I am unsure how to handle as she will just wake H. Do you think that is just something we have to work through? I don't want to compromise his sleep on an ongoing basis yk?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2013, 20:26:55 pm »
Hopefully the calling out will stop as she gets the message that all that happens is she is put back to bed. They are in separate rooms right?

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2013, 20:31:02 pm »
I'd give H a clear briefing on what's going on. M is learning about the Groclock, so he might get woken up. If he hears crying or shouting, he is not to worry, mummy and daddy are nearby, M is just cross that she's not allowed to get up. He should put on his ear defenders (£10 on eBay) and go back to sleep. Or, if he can't sleep, he can turn on his light and look at books until his own Groclock shows that it's morning.

If he's established sleeping til 7, he might surprise you what he can sleep through. I know they are very different personalities, but Stan is great with instructions. When he hears A crying, the main thing he is concerned with is, is she OK, but if he knows I can hear and am taking care of her, he's fine.

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2013, 04:51:38 am »
I LOVE that there is a support thread for this as I have just begun researching getting one for my DD. We cannot seem to get any consistency to her WU time...it can be anywhere from 6am to 8:30am. Add to that, she is fighting BT too, which is already a late BT (8:30). My question is how young did you all start using the Groclocks? My DD is only 15 months. She is showing that she can follow instructions, sometimes with some repetition. I expect that a younger LO would take longer to understand, but I'm wondering if it would be worth trying this young (can't hurt, right?).
Anyone BTDT younger than 18 mos?

Also, do any of you use rewards as a form of learning with the clocks? If so, what sort of reward/treat do you use? TIA