Author Topic: Gro-clock/lights on timer: success stories and support here! #2  (Read 194843 times)

Offline barbaraz78

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
Re: Gro-clock/lights on timer: success stories and support here! #2
« Reply #195 on: June 20, 2014, 22:28:01 pm »
Why is he napping only 30 mins at cm?
Barbara

Offline Jaxsta81

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #196 on: June 23, 2014, 04:48:15 am »
Because there is so much going on with noise and fun  they don't sleep in a separate room like in a nursery where you can shut the door. Only downside to my childminder's.

However, saying it could be the short naps causing it, the last 2 days he's had 2hr naps at 1pm and still woken up early.

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #197 on: July 01, 2014, 05:54:54 am »
Hi all

DS is 21 months, language development is pretty good. Always been an early riser and have posted quite a bit to get to a fairly decent routine. We are doing something like WU 5.45, nap 1ish (1hr45 at weekends and 2 afternoons at grandparents, other days at nursery can be shorter), bed 7ish. Seems like we are always on catch up due to either EWs or short naps.  He is a touchy sleeper and prone to OT.

Bought a gro clock to see if we can get to a 6.15/6.30 WU as I know he really benefits from a solid 11hr night and wouldn't mind shifting our routine forward a bit before the nights start getting longer.

I suppose my initial question is - How do I really know if he is ready to give it a try? And how long did you talk about/show how the clock works before taking the plunge?

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #198 on: July 01, 2014, 09:44:45 am »
Hi KJM

How do I really know if he is ready to give it a try?

I think you just have to go for it and see what happens. He is old enough now that he should be able to understand the concept.  The things that might stop it working though are usually other factors like teething, lighter mornings, or needing a routine tweak.  If you try it and after a week or so you still haven't managed to move WU at all, then you should consider those other factors.

And how long did you talk about/show how the clock works before taking the plunge?
It was a while ago now, but I think I just introduced it and talked about it one day and then took the plunge that night.  DD1 was about 19 mos I think and TBH she learnt best by me showing her/actually using it.  There is only so much you can talk about it!  To start with set the clock at his usual WU time or only a bit afterwards and then in the morning you can make a big deal about how the sun is up and he can get up now (but he won't have had to wait too long and had time to get upset).
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #199 on: July 01, 2014, 12:20:16 pm »
Ok great stuff - gonna go for it this weekend!

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #200 on: July 01, 2014, 12:44:25 pm »
great :)  let us know how you get on
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #201 on: July 01, 2014, 16:49:43 pm »
And be prepared to have to enforce her staying in bed until the sun is up for a few days (or even weeks!) before she starts doing it on her own.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2014, 05:10:59 am »
Ok thought this was going well but have had a bit of a disaster this morning and could do with your advice as haven't handled it very well I don't think.

Started on Saturday with alarm at 5.40. Sat/sun we had WU before that but only by 5/10 mins so was able to either leave as not upset or going in once and remind that need to wait for the sun. Monday he woke just after 5.40 (like 5.42!) so made a massive deal of it with him. Tuesday I moved the alarm to 5.45 and he was awake 10 mins before but didn't need to go in. Yesterday it was 5.45 before I heard him so again made a big fuss. Going great I thought!

Today I had moved the alarm to 5.50 but he woke at 5.15. He was ok for 5/10 mins but then started to get upset. I went in and reminded to wait for the sun and left but then he got extremely upset so went back in but he was beyond it by then. I started off by lying on the floor to ignore him but ended up picking him up because he was so upset. Sat with him in the dark for a bit but he was kicking his legs/crying so when he wasn't looking I switched the clock to the sun and made a big deal of it again.

Once he had had some milk he was totally fine (although he is tired now today) so don't think it is teeth or anything.

So not sure what to do next and how I should approach a similar situation - would be very grateful for your views. Also do I do an earlier bed tonight (he doesn't really tack on) as EWs start when OT sets in and don't want a repeat of this morning!

Thanks.

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2014, 07:19:48 am »
I think you did the right thing in putting the sun up without him seeing. I used to do that. I don't think I would get him out of bed to sit with me as that is a desirable thing for him to do I imagine and will encourage him to call for you when he wakes rather than wait for the sun himself. I probably would try for WIWO and just resettle  him and leave again going back in to repeat if needed.

So if he doesn't tack on will an EBT mean an earlier waking for you? Maybe just do 20 mins early if so.

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #204 on: July 10, 2014, 07:31:08 am »
Ok thanks. I tend to do 20 mins bed early for EWs. Should I set the clock a bit earlier I.e back to 5.40? I am increasingly finding that WIWO just really gets DS upset and never leads to a resettle but will stick with it as agree sitting with me is desirable!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #205 on: July 10, 2014, 19:03:05 pm »
Would standing at the door and talking through the crack be better?

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #206 on: July 11, 2014, 18:34:07 pm »
Thanks - that worked better this morning. He woke at 5.30 and managed to last with me reassuring from the door til 5.45 with him being less upset. My issue now is that we are having bedtime protests - he goes down ok but 20 seconds after I leave the door he is up and crying - same last night and tonight. He has taken 1/2 hr of WIWO to go to sleep tonight so a 7.15 bed after 5.30 WU. Not looking forward to tomorrow as will no doubt get another EW! Do you think it is all linked? Dh is wanting to scrap it but I think we need to carry on - grateful for some hand holding and advice!!

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #207 on: July 11, 2014, 19:55:52 pm »
It could just be him seeing if this new way is really the way that is here to stay, yk? I'd stick with it consistently for at least a week before deciding it isn't working.

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #208 on: July 12, 2014, 05:33:05 am »
Yay! WU at 5.55! Made a massive fuss of his waiting til the sun. Will see what the next few days bring...

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #209 on: July 12, 2014, 15:54:38 pm »
Great! :)