Author Topic: Gro-clock/lights on timer: success stories and support here! #2  (Read 194838 times)

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Gro-clock/lights on timer: success stories and support here! #2
« Reply #240 on: January 08, 2016, 08:35:09 am »
Hi there, we are looking to start using the gro-clock this weekend.  Our lo is just over 19 months and our regular wu is between 5-6 and we would really like to have a consistent 6:30 or 7am during the week.

How did you introduce the concept to your lo?  Our dd is still in the cot, are we better to wait until she is in a bed?
TIA

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #241 on: January 08, 2016, 12:41:42 pm »
You're fine to use it in a cot.  I used lights on a timer rather than the clock but the method is basically the same.  Initially I set the light to come on not long after his usual WU time so that he didn't have long to wait.  If he was quiet/chatting I left him to it until lights on, if he was calling for me or crying I went to him and treated like a night wake, kept the room dark, whispered, soothing words, "Everything is okay.  It's night time go to sleep" kind of thing but kept him in the room as I would at say 2am (some times I verbally reassured from outside the room, sometimes I went to him, it depended on his mood and need).  When the lights came on I changed my face and tone and did a bright "Good Morning!" and lifted him.  I tried to get out of the room whilst still 'night' if I could so that my return was 'morning'.
Maybe you could begin at 5.30 sun up and once WU is consistently at 5.30 or later you can move the sun to 5.45 for a few days then 6am etc. You want there to be success so I wouldn't go for 7am right away as it is too long for a LO to wait.

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2016, 23:11:32 pm »
Thanks creations, appreciate you post.  Will keep you updated :-) this morning was a lovely 6:20 so am hoping to reinforce good behaviour!!

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #243 on: January 08, 2016, 23:54:00 pm »
Just seen this thread pop up, we *still* use the clock with my 7 & 5yo, we absolutely love it, dd2 especially is too young to tell the time properly, and even with dd1 I really believe she some times stirs, sees a blue light and knows it's not time to get up, and goes back to sleep. It's the best thing I even bought :)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #244 on: January 09, 2016, 09:05:26 am »
Hi - we started at about 19 months too whilst still in cot and did just as creations said. We also talked about it out of the moment and read the story that comes with the clock. DS is just over 3 now and will proudly shout that he has done it and slept til the sunshine! Glad to hear they still work at 7 & 5 - Best Buy ever!!!!

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #245 on: January 13, 2016, 07:54:34 am »
Hi Again, how did your little ones adjust to the light in the room?  I've reduced it to 1 and it seems really bright.  Do you think it affected their sleep?

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2016, 07:57:23 am »
I just switched off the blue light
Barbara

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #247 on: January 13, 2016, 08:05:03 am »
hmmm I'm guessing that must be zero?  We are not having a good night so have turned it off.  Will have to wait till tomorrow now!

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #248 on: January 13, 2016, 11:49:46 am »
Ok maybe not relevant to most of you but I'm following along with interest as DS has used one since DD was born - we'd finally taken the monitor out of his room to use for her and he missed the little light on it, and he likes the nightlight. He's been great with it, except for the time when he came into our room at 1.45am worrying it hadn't been set as he'd mistaken the 1 for a 7 ::) My concern however is when we finally move DD out of our room and into his, as she seems to need the room pitch black and he likes the nightlight and does well with the gro-clock... Not sure how to reconcile these things so will be interested to see how the light affects other younger LOs!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #249 on: January 13, 2016, 19:25:27 pm »
I have the light off too but tbh DS isn't that sensitive and will sleep even if fairly light in his room.  DD was another matter early on but even she has a bit of a nightlight now and is fine with it. 

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #250 on: January 13, 2016, 21:32:58 pm »
Our night settled down after I turned off the light so maybe it was the cause!  Will let you know how tonight goes  ;)

Offline First mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #251 on: January 19, 2016, 06:04:38 am »
Hi everyone,

So we had an interesting first 3 nights  :P first night I had the light on low and it disturbed her every 30 mins until I turned it off completely.  The second night I have no idea what I did but Mr Sun came out at 1:30am.  Poor baby was a bit confused.  I told her it was broken and mummy would fix it in the morning and to go back to sleep.  The third night again no idea, but it didn't come on.

We have had 3 nights now where it has worked but we are wondering if we have to approach it a bit differently.  Our lo totally gets it and is excited to say goodnight and is super excited when Mr Sun comes up in the morning.  We currently have it set to 6:10am.  Our lo has woken at 5am for weeks and weeks.  90% of the time we are able to resettle her and she wakes at about 6:15.  We've tried later bedtime to see if there is a knock on but unfortunately not yet.  We do stay with her until she goes back to sleep which can usually be anywhere between 5-20mins.  We have never started the day before 6am.  We have always resettled or encouraged her to lie quietly.  She handles this fine and is calm and quiet. 

We are just wondering if we need to bite the bullet and set Mr Sun to come up around the 5am mark and start moving forward once she has received praise for the independent wake with no attempt at resettle?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2016, 20:31:52 pm »
I'd actually concentrate on getting her to resettle without you waiting in the room as ultimately that is the problem isn't it? She may well still naturally rouse at this stage each morning but you want her to just see it is still nighttime and roll over and go back to sleep without disturbing you. So I would go in and tell her it is still night and then go back to your bed. You will likely need to go back in several times but eventually she should learn there is no need to call you if it is still night and she doesn't need anything. I assume she is going to sleep independently at bedtime but if not you would need to work on that first.

We have the light on 1 and it doesn't disturb them at all. Any like coming through the blackout curtains at 6am does though. Trimbler I would just have th eclock facing DS and away from your DD. I bet she will get used to the different lighting in the room just like she will the different noises and smells etc. when she moves.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2016, 19:46:33 pm »
Yeah I guess we'll work something out, but it'll have to be bunk beds so I guess we could work out a way of putting it on top of a wardrobe or something... Won't do it for a while yet anyway :P

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #254 on: January 24, 2016, 22:39:25 pm »
put DD on the bottom and have a curtain around the bottom bunk maybe?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011