Author Topic: Corn allergy?  (Read 2901 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Corn allergy?
« on: June 10, 2012, 19:23:05 pm »
DS is 6 months old. He won't tolerate any solid foods, and he's exclusively fed with Nutramigen AA.  He has reflux which is medicated with Nexium and Zantac (we just added the zantac 1 month ago as he was unwell with the nexium max dose).  Makes me thing there is definitely an underlying issue here, because it just does not make sense! The paed has also referred us to a paed GI for an endoscopy, we are still wiating for the phone call though!  :-\

I was reading the ingredients on the Nut AA box today and saw corn syrup as the first ingredient. I did a little search and saw that it is also a relatively common allergy for LO's.  From what I read, for LO's allergic to corn Alimentum RTF is the best formula.

We're meeting the allergist on Wednesday so I'd like to be prepared and I wanted to know... anyone had a baby allergic to corn? Anyone benefitted from switching from Nut AA (or Neocate) to Alimentum?

He's still got mucousy poops on the Nut AA which is technically weird since Nut AA is supposed to be completely 'allergy-free'.  ???

He also gets red and swollen around the eyes lately. Read somewhere that is an allergy sign.  COuld it be just seasonal allergies, or a sign of a food allergy still bothering him?

TIA! :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 19:24:52 pm by *Elise* »
Elise

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Corn allergy?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:57:15 am »
*bumping* for you

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 02:56:12 am »
He's still got mucousy poops on the Nut AA which is technically weird since Nut AA is supposed to be completely 'allergy-free'.
I'm starting to learn the unfortunate side of food intolerances vs proper food allergies. I'm wondering if your allergist can shed any light on this for you as well. E has tested negative to every single IgE allergen test they could give her. She lost weight due to food intolerances and no proper allergy. It was incredibly frustrating trying to understand what was going on, and reflux played a huge role in her food reactions.

E didn't tolerate Alimentum RTF AT ALL :( but has done fabulous on Nutramigen A+. I'm not sure the differences in them. I would *think* that the proteins in the corn would be extensively hydrolized to the point of the majority of lo's being able to tolerate them, but of course we both know there are exceptions to all of that.

He also gets red and swollen around the eyes lately. Read somewhere that is an allergy sign.  COuld it be just seasonal allergies, or a sign of a food allergy still bothering him?
It could be those as well as it could be reflux. I know some refluxers get red and swollen around the eyes during a flare up so that could also be an answer.

TBH, there are a lot of things going on simultaneously or one of many things. This stuff is so tricky to figure.

Many hugs and vibes that your appointment goes well for you tomorrow. Let us know how you make out.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 05:44:10 am »
Good Luck for your appt today x

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 07:37:58 am »
vibes for tomorrow.  i also wonder if LOs could be reacting to the medication :(  Sorry that this doesn't help.  I feel for you xx and hugs

Offline ENMS

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 11:19:27 am »
i also wonder if LOs could be reacting to the medication   Sorry that this doesn't help

no, it does help! have you experienced that? I didn't think that coud be a possible, but considering that he's on zantac and nexium, it very well could be.

we started probiotics a week ago and honestly I'd say his poops are a bit better.

will keep you posted after our app't today :)
Elise

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 13:35:40 pm »
I had reaction towards certain filler for pills.  I also know people who react to medication and not sure if you remember Grant, she had severe reaction to all medication.  For my own interest, i read up on allergies as i was reacting to almost everything on earth (ok that was a bit exaggerated) when the body was under stress, whether through physical or emotional can subject the body to react things they dont normal would.  Once the body reacts, it registers and continues unless it was reset.  Many people are still skeptical about it.  I speak from first hand experience but it can be done. 

More vibes and will be following along.  Xx

Offline ENMS

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 15:51:23 pm »
I've met with the allergist and have a separate post about it:

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=232258.0

Very interesting koe... I'll look into that as well.
Elise

Offline koe2moe

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 16:54:06 pm »
read the update :)