Author Topic: milk at night  (Read 1602 times)

Offline lulu1978

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
milk at night
« on: June 13, 2012, 20:40:14 pm »
Hello Ladies,

my 26 month old is asking for milk at night.Usually around midnight he will shout for milk so I will give him 150 ml warm milk,he drinks it up but asks for more straight away! So I will give him 100 ml warm milk,sometimes he drinks it and sometimes, by the time I warm it up he is fast asleep.And then he wakes up again around 3 am asking for milk again.He eats really well during the day,I would say that my DS has a very good appetite...so why is he waking up at night asking for so much milk?
Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: milk at night
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 19:03:24 pm »
Personally I wouldn't give it but now he's expecting it it might be a bit tricky.  Could you try watering it down? Or giving less and less each night?  Eventually just offering water?

I don't think they really need milk in the night at that age. If he's genuinely hungry, could you try a snack before bed?

We're going through a difficult time with getting dressed and baths with my son at the moment.  I've tried lots of tactics and in the end this week I've had to get to the point of "Look, I know you don't like it, there's nothing I can do about it, we've got to do it".

The other reason it's important to stop this is surely if he's not potty trained yet, it's going to make night time training harder.  If he out of nappies, is it not going to cause more accidents?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 19:06:19 pm »
I wouldn't offer milk in the night either.  My LO always just had a sippy of water if she needed a drink. I would just start saying 'no milk its sleep time' and then resettle to sleep.  There is bound to be a few rough nights until he gets used to it though but better in the long term. 

One of my main reasons would be for his teeth. 

Offline lulu1978

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 19:32:26 pm »
Thank you ladies,I think I will try to give less and less every night and hopefuly this way will get rid of it without major trauma :)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 16:03:13 pm »
Good point about the teeth.  I would steel yourself for there being some upset but as they say, it's normally three nights to break a habit.  I'm not sure if there's an age appropriate PUPD at this stage?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/