Author Topic: Night Terrors?  (Read 1446 times)

Offline KatrinaW

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Night Terrors?
« on: January 14, 2015, 01:49:52 am »
DS is 3.5 years old and has been waking up screaming after 45min to an hour at night. He has done this since he was a baby but it is more frequent now. His eyes are closed, can't speak, thrashes around his bed (sometimes falling out), coughs, and gags. Nothing I do will settle him down. I sit with him until he eventually just goes back to sleep. Does this sounds like a night terror? Is there anything I can do about it? We were hoping to have our boys share a room (youngest is 10.5 months) but with DS1 waking almost every night it would be impossible. We are also in the 1-0 transition right now and I know OT can cause NT's.

TIA

Offline <Catherine>

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 149
Re: Night Terrors?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 06:12:00 am »
It does sound like it to me :( OT/OS were the main factors for us, so can you do anything to help that? Earlier BT maybe? We also found that if DS was hot it made it worse. Is he potty trained? As ds got older we found that needing the toilet was a factor too, and we found that if we could get him on the toilet during a NT it would often 'snap him out of it'.

Hugs, there's nothing worse :(
Catherine x

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 09:49:50 am »
Hugs we get them too with ds1. he even sleepwalks now with them ::)
For us it's not just OT (as he is pretty good at sleeping well and loves to sleep) but developmental periods always bring them, being to hot (a big one for him) and needing to go toilet as Catherine mentions.

We try to eliminate them as best we can during these periods. One thing that helps is going in about 30 mins after you think he falls asleep and resetting the sleep cycle by gently stirring. (We do this on rough patches when he is getting them frequently) Double wees before bt can help too.

Hugs, they're not nice are they :( :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 20:59:49 pm »
DS1 had a run of night terrors, which we actually traced back to the fact he'd had drinks with sugar in them close to bed time, because it wasn't a regular thing we we were able to track it down & for a long time he only had water after we worked that out. So it might be worth looking at foods he is eating too.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05