Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2  (Read 83845 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2013, 10:16:16 am »
pleasure - keep us posted x

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2013, 18:26:29 pm »
Hi,

Rochelle - hugs, it's hard to know which way to play it. Hopefully the little tweaks will help you make the best of the situation and meanwhile if there is any regression stuff going on that will be moving towards being fixed too...

As for us... slightly better. The NWs have improved as the canines have pushed through so that's that mystery solved. The restlessness at nap time has stopped but at BT it continues and she's still not settling til near 9pm some nights. Her naps have naturally reduced to 1.5-2hrs rather than the old 2-2.5hrs but I'm loathed to cut them back further as she really seems to need a good rest in the middle of the day. So we're just waiting it out for now and will reassess in a while...

How are things with you Becky??

Rach. x

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2013, 12:12:21 pm »
I would def stick with 1.5-2 hour naps for Sofia Rach - she has always been average-high sleep needs as I remember??

Well things have been great for about 3 weeks, probably best ever after our hellish 2:1 transition but slightly shaky again now. I suspect canines as we are getting earlier mornings again and she has strange nappies but having said that she did a great nap yesterday and I wonder if she was UT at BT...she is very sensitive to OT so it is hard to get it right!!

Offline londonlady

« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2013, 21:20:27 pm »
So hard to get right!! How's she doing with the teeth Becky? These canines are not fun!!

Yes Sofia has been pretty high sleep needs, she has always napped well (outside of teething / routine glitches when she was little.)  Settling for bed time is improving, not completely back to normal but definitely better. We had a lot of wake ups last night but think she may have been cold. She settled down once we had put the heating back on!

Rach. x

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2013, 13:50:27 pm »
uggh, awful right now, don't know what is going on tbh. She has no canines so could be that or else developmental. Always something!

Offline Mattsmummy

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2013, 13:38:23 pm »
Okay, we need some serious help here...
My DS will be 18 months on the 22nd...this week (Monday) he started with VERY early WU - 4:00 was the earliest, but all before 5:00am.

His normal routine (not ideal but normal)
WU - 5:30-5:45am
Nap - 12:30 - 12:45 - usually 1.5 - 1.75 hours
BT - 6:30

After successfully using GW, we can put him into his crib awake and he goes to sleep. For the most part he STTN - with a few NW here or there, usually short until this week...

He will every few days take a catnap on the way to nursery for about 20-30 minutes.

He doesn't have his canine teeth yet but they are bulging so I know they are moving around.

I have no clue what to do...

We did a EBT of 5:30 on Tuesday and he woke at 2:15am and was up happy, clapping his hands, chatting until after 4 when he fell asleep for another hour or so then up for the day at 5am...

So confused and could really use any ideas at all...I'll try anything at this point to get him back to a 530 WU...

Anything after 6 is a pipe dream at this point but I'll take anything after 5 right now...

HELP...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 13:39:56 pm by Mattsmummy »
"But the fighter still remains"

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2013, 19:39:05 pm »
Can you do an earlier nap? That seems such a long A time to the nap,Ii wonder if he is OT by the time it comes round so crashes and then is not restored by it yk?
I would try this.
A - 5.30am
Nap - 11.30/45-1/1.30pm
BT - 6pm
what do you think?

Offline Mattsmummy

« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2013, 20:47:45 pm »
That would be ideal and I'm going to try this weekend with that routine. He is at nursery all week but I may have to make a special request for her to put him down early...

You're right it is a monster morning A time...If only I could reason with him and say, "come on bud, just sleep longer, you'll feel better"...ah if only...

How much do you think is simply OT?  would he have a "happy" long NW with OT?
18 months sucks...teeth, regression, development...

>:(

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2013, 06:37:32 am »
If only I could reason with him and say, "come on bud, just sleep longer, you'll feel better"...ah if only...
tell me about it!

I would think this is OT but if he is teething too then that is tough. If they are long happy NWings I would be unsure about OT but M has strange OT wakings where she might start with a cry but then chats and it IS OT.

Offline londonlady

« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2013, 21:47:13 pm »
Sounds like a good plan...

We are still struggling a bit here. Sofia's naps have settled down, but her nights are still off. She went back to settling well for bed, but still having NWs, then the last couple of nights she is not settling for ages, screaming, wanting us to stay in the room. I'm still inclined to think teeth are at fault as the top 2 are still pushing through... Ugh. Whatever it is, we're knackered, and short tempered and getting pretty sick of her antics!!

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2013, 12:34:35 pm »
yup here too...M has a cough so totally understandable but was awake for nearly 2 hours last night and I was just sooooooo tired this am. Luckily DH let me have a lie-in.
Higs Rach - I really would think this is teeth.

Offline londonlady

« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2013, 22:14:22 pm »
Hugs to you too Becky. This is so much harder work than I remember it with Max!! He really was an angel baby once we got everything working with him...

I think the teeth are definitely a factor, but she's also showing a massive preference for me at the moment so I think the prolonged wakings / upset we've had lately have been because DH volunteered to go and deal with her. I put her down at BT tonight (usually I cook while DH does BT) and she settled immediately, as she did when i put her down for her nap. DH tried at nap time and she went nuts...

Not sure where this has come from as we share the childcare fairly evenly (we both work, I am home 1 day more than him and I guess I take the lead, but DH is very involved.) I remember Max having phases of preferring one or the other, but this has become really obvious lately. She will run to me as soon as I am in the room, and even if occupied with DH, if she sees me she will not let up until she can get to me...  So looks like I'm doing BT and then racing down to cook dinner!!

Hey ho... anything for a quiet life!
How's the snow where you are Becky? Horrific up here in Herts. Will probably have to stay home tomorrow... oh well lol! :)

Rach. x

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2013, 12:16:24 pm »
how are things Rach?

Offline Mattsmummy

« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2013, 15:27:11 pm »
okay, back with another question...Hope someone can give me some insight...

Yesterday DS woke at 3:40am - would not go back into his crib - screaming his little head off if I tried. So I sat with him in the rocking chair until DH got home from work at 6:00am

Nap at 12:30 - 1 hour 20 minutes   :-[

Bt- had him in bed for 6 - took till almost 7 for him to fall asleep.  He was in his crib and we were in the living room and could hear him rolling around and trying to settle and fall asleep...

NW at 11 - again, settled and tried to put him back in his crib but no chance...so sat with him in the rocking chair and we both fell asleep. Back in his crib for 1:00am sound asleep. Slept until 5:33am...got him up at 5:50 as he was getting upset...

OT all the way right?  What is with the crying/screaming and not wanting to go back in his crib? We did GW and it was working beautifully and not it's all going to pot???

Teething canines although no sign of them yet but cheeks are red and blotchy and fingers constantly in the mouth...

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2013, 15:39:04 pm »
Definitely OT Mattsmummy, and those canines are AWFUL. My son was not a terrible teether - just normal stuff, a bit unsettled, a couple of red cheeks - but goodness we were SHOCKED how bad the canines were.