Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2  (Read 83607 times)

Offline Mattsmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2013, 15:53:10 pm »
I know...it's weird the behaviour...
So do I apop to get him through or try GW again for the NW's?  He is already so OT (I'll aim for even earlier than 6 to get him caught up) so with GW it will just make him even more tired...

BOO    :-\
"But the fighter still remains"

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2013, 15:58:29 pm »
I think you have to stick to GW as much as you can but cut both of you some slack and AP if things are just going nuts. Sometimes we have to AP but as long as it's OP (on purpose) and we stay mindful of why we're doing it and when it's appropriate, no harm done. This crazy regression and canines combined (think there's a wonder week in there too?) is a perfect storm of sleep craziness, so just do what you gotta do to survive, mama.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 16:06:29 pm by anna* »

Offline Mattsmummy

« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2013, 16:05:26 pm »
THANK YOU!
I will try for an earlier bt and hopefully get him caught up a bit which will hopefully (f x'd) help with the NW too...

Stinking teeth - making us all nuts!!!

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2013, 18:35:34 pm »
Teeth and colds are the worst! DS got all 4 eye teeth at once. Not sure if that's better or worse. Early bedtime is always good!
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2013, 02:33:14 am »
Hi ladies, just jumping on here so I don't start banging my head into the wall.  I'm assuming we're going through the 18mo regression, as I can't really find another reason for the weirdness going on.  G has all his teeth except 2yr molars (the canines have a bit to push through still, but I don't think they're an issue).  2 weeks ago he was doing nice 2-2.5hr naps with 11-12hr nights.  He was seeming pretty flexible, so a few days one week, I didn't get him down til later for a nap as we were out in the morning.  He then started having strange NWs, where he'd wake up wailing (sounded like a bad dream).  I'd go in and he'd settle quick, so nothing that would take away from sleep too much (one night it happened twice).  But, then his mornings started getting earlier and his naps shorter and now we're stuck in this bad cycle.  Today he woke 30min into his nap (after 5:40 A; too long) and I couldn't resettle.  He slept 40min in the car to his 18mo appt, and did a bunch of OT gobbly-gook at BT, so the day was over 13hr long.  Yikes, this is ridiculous.  (And my apologies to those of you hearing about this on the BCs as well, I don't mean to be going on about it everywhere, just don't know what the heck to do. :-[

Does this sound like regression or did I muck up the routine?  What is a standard total amount of sleep to get at 18mo, maybe I don't have it right?

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2013, 12:58:23 pm »
Hugs katie,
Def could be the regression although not been through it with my two. H never had it and M's sleep is pretty wonky generally so maybe not the best person to comment.
I would try and persevere with his usual routine tbh as if it is a regression he should sort himself out. You may need to try some earlier EBT's if his naps are wonky...I personally don't find much luck with messing nap times about too much but EBT's can really help in this situation.
Apart form that try and be as consistent as you can and hopefully he will come good ;)

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2013, 13:02:12 pm »
oh...and probably worth trying meds one nap just to see. I am not one for giving meds all over the place but it is not impossible he could be getting his molars. H had them by about 21 months. At least if it makes no difference you can cross that off the list!

Offline katie80

« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2013, 19:20:27 pm »
Thanks, Becky! :-*  Claire never had it either, so I don't really know what I'm looking for.  I think I might tip over if it really is 2yr molars, but I guess then at least we'd be all done.  I've tried to look the past couple days, but don't think I see anything.

The routine issue is so hard.  I didn't think he was super sensitive to OT, and he did nap fine at a later time those few days.  But, I do wonder if that threw him off a bit, because lately if we go over 5-5.25hr A, he does a silly short nap.  But, if I keep it close to it he'll still do a longer one.  That is not easy to do tough, if he wakes early.  Today he was up at 5:30am after falling asleep about 7:15pm last night. ::)  I wimped out and did two naps. :P

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2013, 18:53:48 pm »
Hugs Katie. I think this is the thing with this regression - it's all mixed up with so many possible factors that it's hard to know what it is and what to do about it.

For us, it's been medicating for the teeth, and just trying not to fall into bad habits with resettling her. I have tweaked the routine a little - longer A times, and accepted that some days our naps are shorter (always at least an hour though) but tried not to change too much and just persevere through this patch (in the hope it is just a patch!)

We seem to be mainly through the worst of it, as the canines have done their thing now, but she still  takes longer to settle than she used to at BT. No more just popping her into the cot and walking out. Now it's 2 books, an argument about no more books, then a bit of cuddling and cooing before putting her into bed and arguing a bit more about it being BT!

So just hang in there I guess, it will get better.

As an aside, I am wondering about 2yr molars too as Sofia has spent all day with her fingers rammed in the back of her mouth, red cheeks and some interesting nappies. I'd almost be happy to get them out of the way now so that we are over and done with it all. :)

Rach. x

Offline katie80

« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2013, 19:44:30 pm »
Hi Rach, thanks! :-* Nice to 'see' you again!! ;D

Yes, it's so hard to know exactly what to do, because of all the factors involved. Both kids have a chesty, hacking cough now and stuffy nose, so that's added to the mix. I can hear G coughing several times through the night. :(

He's so tired, poor guy, but just isn't getting very good sleep. His nap yesterday was only 45min and again I couldn't resettle. He does that OT scream and can't settle down to suck his thumb because of the stuffed up nose. :(  We had our first 5:30pm BT last night. It seemed to do him well, because I didn't hear him til 6:20 this am, but he still struggled with a nap today (I'm wondering if he was up rolling around much earlier as he tends to do that). I'm currently sitting in the rocking chair with him snoring on me. :) Got him back to sleep after he woke, but couldn't get him back down. Haven't done this in so long, I'm loving the cuddle.

LOL at the fight about books. G is loving a Clifford bedtime one we checked out from the library. I'm almost afraid to return it, because he'll be lost without it. Maybe it'll be a little Valentine surprise for him. 

Glad you are through the worst of it. If S is getting her 2yrs, I hope they come through quick! :-*

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2013, 21:04:46 pm »
Rachel I think that's a really good point about the longer wind-down after and maybe during this regressions. I remember that from Stan too. After this, it's not like putting a baby to bed any more, it's putting down a busy toddler who needs more/longer help to wind down and to process their day.

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2013, 22:07:44 pm »
Definitely Anna. Actually now I think of it, my husband is having real trouble putting Sofia to bed these days and I think it's because he has been trying to skimp on the wind down / book reading and general snuggling before bed. He's expecting her to switch off quickly and then getting a bit irritated with her when she doesn't - I'm sure she can sense that too. To be fair, she is having a massive mummy phase (is that happening with anyone else??) so that doesn't help, but I'm sure if he put in the time on the wind down it would be much easier on them both!

Katie - good to "see" you too. I really hope G is better soon, no fun when they are sick and struggling to sleep - just when they really need that extra rest. :(
Lol on the Clifford book - I would get one as back up!!

Sofia is obsessed with books full stop. It is the word she says more than any other, and she's a pretty vocal kid these days! :)

Offline Mattsmummy

« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2013, 17:21:53 pm »
Okay, so I need some advice/hugs…

DS is 18 months old and is giving me a terrible time right now with his sleep…
His routine before all this started was:
WU – 5:15 – 5:45ish
Nap – 12:30 (fixed at nursery) for 1.5 – 1.75 hours
BT 6:30

He would go down easily for both naps and bedtime.  He is an IS – we used GW successfully a few months back…

Now, he is taking ages to fall asleep for BT, taking SUPER short naps (25 mins!) and is up numerous times through the night and won’t go back in his crib…

He has a cold right now, is teething his canines – although I can’t see them yet and he has is starting to use new words everyday – plus his receptive language seems to have taken a leap as well…
Combined with all this is some behaviour issues- not listening, hitting, throwing…

I know he is OT and even my attempt at an early BT of 5:30 didn’t work as it took him till his regular BT to fall asleep…

I’m exhausted and confused as to what to do…

Thoughts???

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2013, 19:31:04 pm »
Thoughts???

I think that canines, a cold, and being-18-months-old is a perfect storm of sleep craziness. Not a whole lot you can do but medicate, be as consistent as you can, and do what you've got to do to survive. Hold tight mama!

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2013, 19:34:47 pm »
Hugs, we are going through this too. We don't have the cold but I 'think' she is teething her canines and her language has just taken off. Wake ups are screaming and any time from 5am. Not fun :(