Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2  (Read 83848 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2013, 14:01:32 pm »
Just catching up here.  Lots of (((hugs))), Becky, it's so frustrating when you feel like you just can't figure it out. :(

Mattsmummy, I agree with setting the BT (early) and then working from there.

Rach - Hope S has perked up for you... it's so hard to see them not themselves. :(

Tecike - Glad you're getting solid nights again! :)

I think we're through the worst of it and back to relative normalcy.  Now to wait for the last molars....
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 14:03:17 pm by katie80 »

Offline londonlady

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #151 on: February 17, 2013, 21:16:15 pm »
Hi,
Yep Sofia has perked up and *whispers* I think we are fully through the sleep regression. BT has returned to normal, much less messing around, some chatting but no calling out for us that turns into a melt down so that's fine. No NWs for a good couple of weeks now and no EWs. :)

How is everyone doing? It's been quiet on here...

Rach. x

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #152 on: February 17, 2013, 23:39:24 pm »
Great news rach! Fingers crossed for you. We're just recovering from vacation time change. Sigh
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline katie80

« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2013, 16:39:35 pm »
Glad you're back on track, Rach! :)

1+1- Hope you enjoyed your vacation! :) We have one coming next month with a 2hr time change and we're starting to push them a bit now.

We've got another winter bug brewing, so two nights ago G did 13hr after a 2.5hr nap, but then last night he was up almost every hr and ended up in bed with us at 5am. We need some spring around here!!! :P

Offline KimMackay

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Nolan
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2013, 01:00:58 am »
Just going to pop in here really quick and ask....how long does the 18 month regression typically last?

I'm almost positive that what's going on here.  DS literally just turned 18 months and 5 days ago started screaming at nap time. Thought teeth at first and medicated....but tried without meds today and after the screaming at first went to sleep.  He NEVER goes to sleep on his own without meds if his teeth are hurting....so I know that he's not in pain now.

He's giving me resistance before we even head upstairs....as soon as it's 5 min before he starts protesting.  It's been worse on the days when he is more OT.

My other question is....how are you typically supposed to treat it...like you would if you were sleep training? 

Thanks ladies! 

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2013, 01:47:00 am »
Katie - good luck with your vacation. I didn't try anything before and I probably should have. Seriously 3:30 AM every morning. Sigh. Oh well it was worth it!

Kim - I think it all depends. Ours last about two weeks before it was under control. Hope it's short for you! It's more the blindsiding of good sleep gone bad that got me. You know things are going along well and then bang. Yup another sleep regression.
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline katie80

« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2013, 18:03:18 pm »
Kim, I think it can last anywhere from about 2-6 weeks.  I've even heard people talk about how things didn't really get back to normal til 20mo. :-\  I don't know that there's anything you can do to 'treat' it, because it's not really anything you're doing, iyswim, it just happens.  I'd stay consistent in your methods of wind down and put down and maybe add in some time to talk through the day, help him work through what's going on developmentally, etc.

Seriously 3:30 AM every morning.
Yikes, 1+1!  That's early!!! :o  Glad you still thought it was worth it. :)

Offline Tecike

• Showing Appreciation 8
  • My little guys...
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2013, 20:13:42 pm »
Katie, have a nice vacation! FX it doesn't disturb LOs much!

1+1, that's way too early! Hope you get it fixed soon!  :)

Rach, hope you're through it!  :)

Kim, it was about 2-3 weeks for us, and here it only manifested as more NWs... we didn't have BT or nap battles, no screaming and such, thankfully!

So, as I said earlier I think we're done with this regression... His nights are still good, with an odd NW sometimes due to teething, but nothing major. I think we're lucky!  ;D

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #158 on: February 21, 2013, 06:01:41 am »
Yes once we got back to our time zone he was waking up at 6:30 again (which was 3:30 vacation time zone). I never set my alarm clock bc he's my alarm clock! He did at least take 3 hr naps while on vacation so we could nap as well. Plus we took turns getting up.
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2013, 14:17:45 pm »
Hey look its my old friends.... apparently I have come to the right place.... I think the 18month sleep regression has hit us here. :o  PLEASE HELP! Im at my wits end with the refusals and EWs.

We are on about days 3 of nap and BT refusal.... consisting of mostly screeching/screaming and getting in and out of bed. BT is much the same. We have been doing some GW by standing at the door until he is at least calm, then slowly closing the door until its about 2-3inches ajar and we have to leave the light on in the hallway. I have gone down almost an hour after BT and he is still lying awake in bed.

Naps are hit and miss... if he falls asleep in the car naps are no problem. But if he needs to fall asleep in his bed its a battle. More screeching/screaming and in and out of bed. Again doing some more GW until he is calm and he usually takes about 30min to fall asleep. I have always had to cap his naps at 2 hours, so I wonder if I am in an UT/OT loop as well.

We have a gro-clock but I dont think he understands the concept of staying in bed until the sun rises, I have adjusted the WU time a few times, from 730-715-700 but he still sometimes wakes at 5, 630 and so on. Other days he sleeps till nearly 8.

I dont believe teething is to blame. I have tried giving meds, but it doesnt really seem to help IMO. Im not sure if its developmental, he is babbling loads in the last 3 or 4 weeks but still not saying anymore words than he did before.

Im game for any suggestions at this point. Our Routine is below, and it has been the same for months. He is eating well. I personally lik our routine asx it matches DDs routine. Im not sure about a later BT as I Like my evenings, and I wouldnt know what to do about a shorter night, would rather less daytime sleep than less nighttime sleep.
MM
730am WU, 8am breakfast, 930/10 snack, 1200 lunch, 1pm NAP, 3pm WU, 330 snack, 530 supper, 7pm bath, 730 BT.
Melissa

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2013, 19:09:43 pm »
what I would say from your routine MM is that his day is really short for his age. Most lo's are doing more like a 13 hour day with a 2 hour nap, bit less if a shorter nap. If it were me and I was getting nap and BT refusals I would push the nap to more like 6 hours after w/up and then BT 5 hours after the nap. You could wake him at 7am if you want to keep BT at 7.30pm and do
A - 7am
Nap - 1pm - 3pm
BT - 8pm (but you could try 7.30pm and see as with longer am A he may be more tired)
The other option is to cap the nap to 1.5 if you really want to keep a 7.30pm BT but you run the risk of OT with some lo's. Even if you do go to an 8pm BT I doubt it would be for long as he will naturally need to nap cap soon enough.

Just my opinion. It could of course be just the 18 month regression and if so then things should go back to normal without much intervention but from your routine I would guess he is UT.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #161 on: February 24, 2013, 20:46:05 pm »
MM is he in a big boy bed already? That's really early... likewise don't know that I'd expect an 18 month old to be able to respond to a Groclock yet. Not that he won't get the concept, just that he may not have the impulse control to NOT get up if he wakes up and sees the moon, kwim? I know some have reported success with younger ones but most times it seems to work from around 22-23 months on.

Offline oneplusone

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2013, 05:03:07 am »
Hi MM! Have things settle a bit? My DS is still in a crib and a sleep sac and I plan on keeping him that way as long as possible. Also I think it's much to young to expect him to use a gro-clock. I'm not sure what age they would be understanding that concept... maybe 3? I agree w/ Becky a later BT might help. My DS's BT has slowly pushed back a bit. His routine is 6AM WU, Nap 12-2 (daycare schedule) and BT around 7:00. Usually start the BT routine bath etc... around 6:00. Good luck!

Hope everyone else is getting lots of sleep :) Don't want to jinx things but DS is doing decently. I'd just like his words to increase so that his screaming and pointing at things decrease. Ha ha. He has quite a few words, but obviously is frustrated with his lack of communication.
DS grumpy since 2011
DD textbook since 2014

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2013, 12:46:46 pm »
Things are not really going better here. Still getting refusals for naps and BT and lots of getting out of bed.  I'm incredibly frustrated. Its been a busy week with lots of odd hours and car naps. I start back to work tonight and its going to be very stressfull for the next several months as childcare is just a big mess and MIL is watching kids sometime sndf she 'babies' my kids too much so I'm sure by May I will want to jump off a cliff.
Melissa

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2013, 12:49:49 pm »
oneplusone - the recommendations for the Gro-clock are 2 years and above but we had success from 22 months with DS. I am waiting until more like 2 with DD though. Glad things are better...

MM - Did you try pushing the day out a bit?

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!